“Great hotel for a good price” 5 of 5 stars

You added Golden City Hotel to your Saves list
Golden City Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   46 Marni Str, Athens 10438, Greece   |
Ranked #137 of 324 Hotels in Athens
“Great hotel for a good price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Hotel is great, super super clean everything feels brand new in the room. People at the reception were super helpful, i even got sick one day and had a high fever due somthing i ate and they were up and running quickly with medication and a doctor. Its 3 minutes walk from the metro station, 10 minutes walk from the nearest bus station which i actually dont recomend, metro is much faster and efficient Would recommend this hotel very much.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

The stay was great and it provided continental breakfast which was convenient. However, it didn't provide wifi in the rooms. You could only use it in the lobby.

Otherwise, everything else was good!
- spacious room, clean bathroom with toiletries
- cupboard and hangers for clothes
- had air-conditioner

It's 10-12 mins away from the train station.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

we arrived and we had a safe which was not working, we were moved rooms immediately. We had a pleasant, comfortable, and enjoyable stay. we were told it was not in a good area (by everyone) but we never felt threatened and we never saw any problems, despite walking about at night. The breakfast was okay, but the usual continental stuff but the yoghurt with honey was fantastic!! This hotel was very good for the price we paid and if it was as cheap next time we would definitely stay here again!!!

Room Tip: ask for a safe that works....
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in room 711-very spacious,clean and comfortable. The room accommodated 2 adults, a preschooler and a baby without a problem. The service is always 5 star; English speaking staff and breakfast consisted of a wide variety of foods. Good value for money!!! This was our 4th stay there and we plan to go back!

• Stayed June 2012
Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

This is one of many small hotels near Omonia Square. It´s centrally located, but in a rough and noisy part of town, if you arrive after ark with luggage, better take a taxi. But the hotel is nice, clean room with international tv channels, good breakfast is served in roof restaurant with a terrace from where you have a fine view of the city. Good value for money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Palmyra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Everything was great about this hotel. Room (shared with two others of our tour group) was spacious with balcony. The semi enclosure on the shower/tub and hair dryer were weird, but great toiletries. The reception service was exceptional from parking the luggage earlier in the day to directions to arranging a day tour.
Convenient location to Omonia Square--within walking distance or metro to everything--once you get used to dodging traffic to get across a very busy street to get to the hotel. Our guide knew the "better" way to get to the hotel, avoiding a somewhat seedy piece of neighborhood nearby. Always felt safe and I stayed over an extra day after the tour.
Breakfast (included) and dinner buffets very nice in the rooftop restaurant. Very friendly waitstaff.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Athens
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Hi,
I don't usually write reviews but this trip to Europe was somewhat different from my prior trips so I was compelled to share my experience.
When I arrived at the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised that both the lobby and the rooms were in a very good condition (clean, fresh, well-ventilated, most appliances in workable condition). Not only did everyone speak English but they were extremely polite and helpful from the very start. The bathroom was clean, the outside noise was well insulated by the thick balcony glass door and even the TV picked up a few English channels. Given the price and the proximity to two subway stations (5 min by foot each), the national archeological museum right around the corner, this was a steal. The only thing that I could see some people potentially being turned off by are the large number of small (sketchy?) streets on the way to the hotel from one of the metro stations - that is if you wanted to take a shortcut, teeming with sketchy people just hanging out on street corners. Although, I've walked this route dozens of times alone, I was never bothered, no matter how late in the night it had been.

Traveling alone has its perks - don't need to spend too much time deciding what to do or where to go next. You typically also get to meet a lot more folks this way. However, when it comes to certain experiences, having a close friend nearby would be invaluable.
On my fourth of eight days in Greece, when I went to bed thinking I'd book a ferry to Santorinni or Mykonos the next morning, the thought of being driven to the hospital in an ambulance within the following three hours didn't cross my mind. Unfortunately, this is what happened. I woke up with an acute pain in my stomache. My immediate thoughts were - the stupid wine, which I consumed half a bottle of several hours earlier, the stupid 14EUR grilled seabrass - never again am I eating fish. The pain was so agonizing that it made me believe in God. All machoness escaped me, when lying on the bed at 3AM in the morning I was considering if this pleasant experience was transitory or if I should really crawl downstairs and ask for an ambulance. Better safe then sorry, I thought - packed my toothbrush, passport, some money and wobbled on to the elevator, moaning like a wounded wild boar.
I must say I was really impressed with how quickly I got through the emerency room, and with the revealation that most of the hospital staff had very decent grasp of English. Some tests were ran, I was drugged a bit and sent home with a prescription in my hand about two to three hours later. The hotel staff even agreed to pick up my medications from a nearby pharmacy, as I was still in pain when I found my way back to the hotel.

At the end of the day, I was happy that I didn't book a hostel and ended up in a hotel with such helpful staff. I guess, the other lessons here are not to take good health for granted - as it can slip through your fingers faster than you can say "oh ****" - and to consider whether the freedom that comes with traveling alone is worth the price.
DB

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to Golden City Hotel? Share your experiences!