“I got robbed at Athos” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #154 of 325 Hotels in Athens
World
“I got robbed at Athos”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I stayed at Hotel Athos from September 30 to October 6, 2011. Sadly this stay became a nightmare. The second day I went out for a walk. I had only some money in my pocket. The rest of my things were in my room which I thought were safe. I was out for about an hour and when I came back someone had unlocked my door and taken everything from my room. I lost my laptop, system-camera, digital camera, video camera, wallet with 150 euro, driving license, passport, mobile phone, wedding ring and credit card. Noe one had broke up my door, it was locked up or someone had open it with a tool of some type. I went to the reception and they called the police. The police came after a couple og hours, but they didn't anything. They didn't even look at the room. Of course this incident spoiled my holiday. I just wanted to go home, but I had to stay because I had to get a new passport at the Embassy, and new plane tickets was to expensive for me. Please note that all keys to the rooms are stored very visible in the reception of the hotel. Anyone can see who is inside their room and who is out of the hotel. I asked if they were going to do something with the locks, but no. The hotel manager, Nina, didn't seem sorry at all. The nice English girl, Fiona, gave me a warm hug when I left the hotel. There's only one thing to do: Avoid this hotel!

Room Tip: I stayed at Hotel Athos from September 30 to October 6, 2011. Sadly this stay became a nightmare. Th...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
NIKOS G, Front Office Manager at Athos Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Dear Sir
Thank you for adding your review comment regarding your stay in ATHOS Hotel.
you are the first person that claims that our Hotel is not secure( we have never had any simmilar incident like yours.) Please note that it would be quite helpfull to add in your comment that the police has not verified your room door as "broken" and that the document provided from the behalf of the management for your insurance company clearly states that the mentioned incident has been recorded after your personal claims and only.
Finally please note that you forgot to mention that there is a Reception desk employee 24Hours in the Reception therefore there is no access for anyone in the Hotel's key holder desk.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

This little hotel just a 15 minute walk from the Acropolis is a great place to stay in Athens. As it's right in Plaka, one can walk around to all the great nearby shops and restaurants. The rooms are clean and the air conditioning is great in the summer months. There's a really cute little roof deck that is wonderful for sitting with friends and enjoying the view of the Acropolis. It's reasonably priced, and while the breakfast isn't amazing, it's fine - a buffet with yogurt, fruit, toast, coffee, juice, etc - and it's 5 euros extra. It is an easy walk from Syntagma Square, which makes it great for hopping on the metro to the airport (about a 45 minute trip).

Room Tip: The room on the 6th floor has a fabulous view of the Acropolis, but may be loud if people are sittin...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
NIKOS G, Front Office Manager at Athos Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for your review and your comment. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our central location, the amenities and our customer service. We look very forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Best regards,
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Athos hotel is located around 15mins walk to the acropolis. It is very close the Plaka where you can buy souvenir and have dinner. The hotel is a bit old - But it is clean!

We were told when we checked in that there is a "American Breakfast Buffet" that we can have by paying an extra 5 euros. So we thought we might give it a try. BAD DECISION! We were having breakfast at around 8:30am, and there was literally NOTHING there. The "scramble eggs" were pale off white colour and it looked like they only use 2 eggs to make that thin dish of scramble eggs. You cannot call that a buffet! Aside from the scrambled eggs - there was yoghurt and and (no joke) 3 slices of processed ham! That was what they called the American breakfast. We sat for a while, and more people came to the breakfast area - by the time this place was nearly full - they didn't even bring out more food nor did they make more of that pale off coloured scrambled eggs.

The manager asked us when we got back to the hotel that day whether we would like to have the breakfast again for the next day - Hell no - i wouldn't even have it if it was for Free!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

I have recently returned home after a forced 7 night stay in Athens due to the volcanic ash cloud that grounded flights across Europe - by chance and under pressure to find a hotel quickly, I came to find the Athos Hotel - perfectly located, up a quiet street in the Plaka area just 5 minutes walk from Syntagma Square and Metro Station - the hotel is small, clean, nicely decorated, well run and best of all the service was absolutely exceptional! - I hope to return one day soon, although under different circumstances!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Berlin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

We (couple with 2-year-old boy) stayed 4 nights at Athos Hotel (Athens, Plaka) in May 2009. The hotel is well situated and the room was clean, the receptionists were really friendly. Even though, we would not go back, because we had a serious dispute with the hotel owner. We booked our double room with a baby cot through e-mail; the rate was 75 EUR incl. cot and taxes per room. When I arrived at the hotel after a long journey, I was as inattentive as to sign a paper which stated that the rate was 75 EUR plus 13% taxes. Later we went to the hotel owner and showed her the printout of her e-mail confirming the rate of 75 EUR. She said that since I signed the paper at arrival, her email is not valid any more. We tried to explain how immoral her approach is. She said that we got linens for the baby cot for free (as if it was not natural!!) and a big room (it was not at all big). She added that if I had said at the arrival that I want a cheaper room, she would have given us a smaller one, but that would have been really tiny for the 3 of us. We told her that she should not have confirmed a room for 3 persons if she is not willing to accept the agreed rate for the particular room. Later, we heard that ours was not the first case like this. At the end, after we had told her we would call the police, she accepted that we pay 75 EUR (plus 6 EUR/breakfast), but we really had a bad feeling in that hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

A fine place to land if you're arriving dazed after a long trip from the U.S. Athos is cool, clean, quiet, and friendly. Location A+. Good value for Plaka.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

Coming up to Athos Hotel, you might initially be very wary of its location. Patroou Street is very narrow and the surrounding buildings display evidence of a once unhappy period with all their graffiti slogans. However, we were very pleased with Athos Hotel. The rooms were very clean and they were certainly spacious enough. The bathroom was a comfortable size and the aircon was a most appreciated amenity in the Athens summer. The highlight however of room 402 (the one we were staying in) was the beautiful view of the Acropolis from our very tiny balcony. We would definitely recommend Athos Hotel if you are just using Athens as a stopover before moving onto an island hopping itinerary. From a logistical perspective, Athos hotel is very close to all the restaurants and shops in the Plaka district and it is an easy 10 minute walk to the Monastariki Train station, which is then a 20 min ride to the Port of Pireaus. The hotel is also very closely situated to the bus stop at Syntagma square. However, be weary of pick pockets that operate on the X95 bus from the Airport to Syntagma Square.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Athos Hotel? Share your experiences!