“Perfectly fine hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #150 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
“Perfectly fine hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

Stayed there very recently, got a good deal on last minute.com.
The beds were lovely and clean, there was a small flat screen TV in the bed room with 20 channels which was more than enough for me.
The hotel is very close to the larissis station.
I have to say I found the two ladies at the counter very helpful.
I will stay there if I'm in athens again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Cornwall
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2014

I booked through Hotels.com and you get a description of the room you have booked on your paperwork, which I thought was good because often hotel websites say all rooms have balconies and then yours doesn't. Anyway, it made no difference. The room I booked (admittedly very cheaply) had a balcony, a fridge, tea and coffee making facilities and a separate seating area. My room had none of these. It was in the basement down a weird little wooden staircase that was hard to negotiate even with a small case. The room itself was fine really but as a smoker it was a real pain not having a balcony. They were full so couldn't move me but were not at all apologetic about it.

The location isn't too bad, close to the metro and a supermarket but there aren't many places to eat around. You can walk into the centre in about half an hour or so. When I was booking the only similarly priced hotels were in Omonia and I would probably choose there (although noisier and rougher) because there are lots of places to eat and get cheap snacks and it is near enough to everything to go back to change and go out again for the evening.

Meanwhile, at the Diethnes, I was made more annoyed at breakfast on the first morning when they said I hadn't booked it. The guy phoned reception and they said no so I trailed down there and then they found my booking. A bit embarrassing. Breakfast was fine. Pretty standard continental breakfast made much much better by a sandwich toaster. Nice yoghurt and honey too.

The rooftop bar doesn't exist any more. There was a table and chairs at the front where it was ok to drink your own booze but it was a hangout for a lot of local people, friends of the owner, some of whom seemed to think it was theirs (had a sociable evening with some Ukrainians though). The guy you probably think is the night porter is the owner but he doesn't like to let on. He doesn't really speak to English guests but probably does to Germans as he lived in Germany apparently.

To be honest, if I had randomly booked this room without a description I would have probably thought it was ok for the money. It was clean, toiletries were supplied and replenished. One receptionist was quite nice,another not so. It was their dismissive attitude to my booking details that riled me - I would think Hotels.com might be to blame but everything else I booked on this trip (4 others) was as described.

Room Tip: You'll get what you're given I think - maybe tell them you've got a phobia of basements
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2014

It's not badly located, near Larissa Station, but that's all it has going for it. The first night we arrived at 3 am and they didn't have a room for us, so they put us in a makeshift room off the roof garden. We moved the next day to an OK room. We woke up with bed bug bites EVERYWHERE! We went to reception, they said, "The room is clean." We left, no reimbursement for the rest of our stay. Wifi doesn't work anywhere in the hotel. Not at all recommended.

• Stayed October 2014

Travelers are raving about these Athens hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2014

I wrote a review about this hotel prior to discovering that they charged my credit cards twice, once when I booked and again at check-out. I didn't know about the first charge because I left on vacation before the statement arrived and I booked through booking.com and I was not supposed to be charged at the time I booked. Since months later, I am still trying to get my money back. Be very careful with this hotel.

Room Tip: Watch your credit card statements.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Hamilton, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014 via mobile

Although a little hard to find at night once the metro has finished, Hotel Diethnes has everything you need. We arrived at 3am and the man on reception was friendly and helpful at this time of the morning. Breakfast was included in our room rate but we did not have any. The rooms are clean and the ac works well.
The hotel is near 2 metro stations so it is very easy to get anywhere. A good budget travellers choice.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Hotel is what you would expect for the price. Not fancy, just beds, bathroom, aircon and TV.

Small rooms, but great if you don't wish to spend a fortune. Better suited to backpackers, travellers, and youngsters.

Major problem is location, in a not so great area. Around 30 minutes walk to Syntagma (centre)

Depending on my future budget, I wouldn't rule out staying there again.

• Stayed July 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Diethnes Hotel. The room was clean and the AC worked. The hotel is located between two metro stations. We booked later then our friends so missed out on the breakfast included deal but the breakfast looked good. I'd suggest booking early to get the breakfast included

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Diethnes? Share your experiences!