“Look elsewhere!” 1 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   54 Mitropoleos, Athens 10563, Greece (Plaka)   |
Ranked #169 of 325 Hotels in Athens
“Look elsewhere!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Booked two rooms for two nights for my family. Arrived at hotel only to be told that they had overbooked and that we would have to share a room or half would have to go to another hotel! So after several phone calls and an hour of stress we found another hotel that could accommodate us, ony then to be told that the problem was now fixed and we could stay, after the treatment we were given we chose not to. I now find that I have been charged by this
hotel even though we did not stay. We are told that we will receive a partial refund because only one room was not available. Still in dispute about second night as they say we could have come back. If you are on holidays the last thing you want to be doing is changing hotels everyday! With all our travels this is the first time we have encountered such treatment. Booking.com have been very good with trying to resolve this.

Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
Reykjavik, Iceland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed for one night, the room had a view of the Acropolis as we had requested. The location is spot on, everything you want to explore is within walking distance. Breakfast was fine and so was the service. A fine choice for a short stay 1-2 nights.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This hotel was the last stop on our way home from holidays. I booked the Panoramic Suite for a last splurge for myself and my husband. I do not think the owner of this hotel knows what a Suite is. It is on the 3rd floor and the door is directly opposite a toilet which is used by patrons of the restaurant. The bathroom in the "Suite" had a bad smell every time the toilet or shower was used. The balcony was dreadfully with peeling paint and an old wooden bar that needed to be removed. It appears the "Suite" may have originally been a part of the restaurant and I could see the patrons through the reflection in the glass.There was a longer with stains and pillows that were stained as well. The bathrobes and towels provided were grey instead of white. I looked on the net to see if there was another room available but they were fully booked. My daughter had a better room downstairs which was a lower grade room but by far much nicer than the suite. The photos on the website are not true. If you have booked this room I would suggest you downgrade to a cheaper room. I would like to mention that the receptionist was very nice and very helpful. I did not complain as this was for 1 night only and as I previously mentioned they did not have other rooms available.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

To set the record straight, I have not stayed in this hotel. I had cancelled my reservation even before my trip. I felt uncomfortable with the way they work.

I made a reservation via booking.com. I opted for a cancellation option in case I want to make amendments due to some personal matters. I have always booked hotel via booking.com. To my understanding hotels will only charge upon arrival unless it is specifically mentioned by them. I have never been charged before. But none was mentioned by this hotel. I got a charge to my credit card for 3 night stay at EUR243. I felt very uncomfortable, so I cancelled the booking within the cancellation window on 16 April. Call me paranoid but if it were in form of a voucher like in Agoda, I would fully accept. It wasn’t what I signed up for so any form of charges before I arrive to me is an unauthorised use of my credit card.

10 days later, no refund...nothing.... and they were so quick in charging my card? I emailed the hotel... no response. Eventually I emailed booking.com customer service and let them deal with the hotel with all my bank statement proofs on 30 April. After lots of email exchange, refund finally came on 20 May (around 1.5 months after my cancellation? Come on it can’t be that long to reverse a transaction? I made online purchase all over the places before... refund came in a week at most). And I lost EUR20 on EUR243 charges due to “exchange rate difference” or whatever reason... Well I work with exchange rate daily and I don’t think the exchange difference can be that much. Even if it does, the hotel should NOT have charged me in the first place. I complained to booking.com again but haven’t heard from them yet. EUR20 is not a big amount so I wanted to let it over already but I was so annoyed by the unauthorised charge to my card, the long time they took to refund me (and not even a complete refund), and the fact that they ignored my email and I had to contact booking.com to resolve. Unacceptable!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was highly recommended by the lonely planet and it is a big disapointment!
We were in a high room with the view on the acropole! We cannot deny that the view is amazing and particularly on the rooftop. But we found that it was overpriced regarding the size (too small) of the room. No place to put our luggage, small bed....
But the restaurant on the roof top is good and by night, it offers a beautiful view on the acropole.
Our disapointment goes for the room not for the restaurant.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Newtown, Powys
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Rather an ordinary 2 star would be closer to the mark. We arrived at 8.00 and were met by a grumpy (male) receptionist who registered us and gave us the key and left us to find the room.. Five minutes later someone arrived to say that we were in the wrong room. The new room was smaller and overlooked an interior light well. The double bed fitted into an alcove with room for bedside table each side - just - and a second alcove had a single bed. This alcove had damp and mould on the wall. Although the decoration was pleasant and the bed was comfortable it was not a boutique room!

There are no public areas other than the reception desk in a small hallway.

Breakfast was perfectly OK, with fresh orange juice, but we avoided the hot buffet - it had been out drying over spirit burners for 2 hours when we arrived and looked dry and rubbery. The restaurant does have a fantastic view of the acropolis, but it is a breakfast room, nothing posher.

We were checked out bu a pleasant young woman who corrected our credit card payment - the grumpy one couldn't even get that one right.

We booked one of the hotel's wesbite deals and, with hindsight it was not good value.

Room Tip: Take one of the more expensive rooms - but then there are better deals elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I go to Athens regularly and the position of this hotel is great, but the rooms are really quite sad, with old fashioned wardrobes and an empty fridge stuck in the corner. The bathrooms are really dingy and should have been re-done ages ago. I could never have had a bath here!!! The breakfast was included in the price, but after the first morning we went to the local cafe. The breakfast was really poor - you open lids to find greasy old bits of bacon and hard fried eggs and the breakfast room was far from clean. Yes, the view was fantastic but you can find this view in lots of hotels in Athens. This is far from being a four star 'boutique' hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Magna Grecia Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!