“Fine” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #79 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Dublin, Ireland
“Fine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The location is really awful. It is so very far away from anything of interest. Do not be persuaded to stay here as they advertise "views". Most hotels have great views as the acropolis is on top of a hill! It was really cheap and that is the only reason that we stayed here.

It was clean and that staff were nice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed here for two nights for a stopover in Athens. The room was nice, shower had good pressure and there was plenty of room for big bags etc. good location, easy walk to major sights (25 mins to acropolis). The breakfast was also great, had everything we needed including fresh pastries every 15minutes. The air con didn't really work in our room so we had 2 stuffy nights sleep. The internet, however, was terrible, you were lucky to get good signal for 2 minutes before it failed, we couldn't even get it going using their own computers. The reception were hardly helpful when we had issues with this, with a 'not my problem' kind of attitude. I also noticed they treated us very differently to older couples or families, which was frustrating as we paid for our rooms just as they did. We felt safe in the neighborhood but probably wouldn't return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for nearly 10 days, based on Trip Advisor's reviews. I was attending a conference in the very South of the main Sygrou avenue, and chose this hotel as I could easily take the bus on Sygrou avenue to the venue of my conference, and yet it is also fairly close in the opposite direction (one metro stop away) from the Acropolis and center of Athens. The hotel's location is not in a particularly attractive area, but as I said, it is easy to get there with buses and the Sygrou-Fix metro station some 200m away. And although on the front of the hotel there isn't much of anything except avenue crossings, I discovered that a couple of blocks away (towards the back of the hotel and behind a little park) there is a busy street with shops, bakeries and even a nice tree-lined pedestrian street with restaurants and cafes -- this is not at all evident from the front of the hotel.
By chosing this hotel I was also aiming at value for money, and I certainly got that, paying on average 45 euros per night.
The service is very friendly, specially by a receptionist called Marianthi who very soon knew me by my full name (all of the receptionists I encountered were very nice and helpful, except for maybe one: Xenia who was OK, but not as nice as the others, nor as helpful).
When I arrived I was welcomed with fresh juice, which was very nice.
In the room there was a complimentary bottle of mineral water, a robe and slippers, as well as the shampoo, sewing kit, cotton balls and Q-tips, shower caps. I love those little details... (There is also mini-bar).
There was a breakfast buffet served from 7-10:30am which was quite good. I had it included in my room fare on most of my stay but if you have a fare that doesn't include it, it is 10 euros.
The highlight of the hotel (besides the good service) is probably the roof terrace which overlooks the Parthenon and has waiter service. I found out too late that the hotel even has a pizzeria and that it can be taken to the roof.
I went on a couple of overnight trips elsewhere in Greece and the hotel was very nice in keeping my suitcase. However, the "storage" area for suitcases is simply a corridor next to the restaurant; and though nothing happened to my suitcase, I didn't like this that much.
The hotel provides free internet everywhere in the building (including the lovely roof terrace) which is nice, but an issue I encountered was that it was often down, particularly in the evenings (the hotel said that it was saturated); on my last evening I simply could not connect to the Internet at all. However, the hotel also provides a couple of computers in the lobby and I was able to use one of those to do my flight check-in.
During my stay I had 3 different rooms (because I went away on 2 overnight trips) and the rooms were good; my last night there I was put in a single room that had a little terrace: it was a bit smaller than the others, but nice; however in that room the carpet was quite stained.
In conclusion, this was a very good hotel for my needs: value for money, accessible location, very good service. The two areas they could improve on, though they are currently provided, are the Internet and the storage area for suitcases.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Mugla, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

we booked two days from istanbul and we stayed in a good and clean room at 5th floor. a small bottle of wine and soda were as present. but when we wanted to stay one more night, they changed our room with a small room which inside a door with another room at first floor and the airconditioner in the room was very noisy, although we paid the same price. the reception bank was also incurious.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

My girl friends and I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights while in Athens. We liked that it was out of the crowded touristy area, but a close walk to busses and the subway line. Easy transfer to the airport and one stop away from the Acropolis. I never made it up to the skybar but from everyone else's reviews, it was gorgeous.
Helpful staff, I appreciated the welcoming refreshing juice drink when we checked in, and overall, a good hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that face the acropolis so that you are facing away from the busy street.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

They offer you a cold drink upon arrival which is great. The staff are really warm great people. Comfy beds. Close to everything. The only negative is no pool or gym but in Athens during summer most people see the islands.

• Stayed August 2012
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Airconditioner very nosy on city side rooms advised reception she rolled her eyes and said thats just the way it is put with it.

No coffee tea facilities in room breakfast is plain horrid cereal bacon and frankfurts everyday with poor service to match.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Ilissos Hotel? Share your experiences!