“Exquisite oasis in a large, bustling city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of King George A Luxury Collection Hotel

You added King George A Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
King George A Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Vasileos Georgiou A' St. | Syntagma Square, Athens 10564, Greece (Syntagma)   |
Ranked #4 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Washington
“Exquisite oasis in a large, bustling city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

It's definitely a five star hotel. Athens is big, loud and takes some work to navigate (although we found it fascinating.) We know we paid more than we typically like on foreign trips but I intentionally booked this hotel both for convenience of location as well as the fact that it was the last leg of our trip and we wanted to be pampered a bit. We had exhausting but good days touring around Athens, but it is your typical big city and can be an assault on the senses. It was such a welcome moment of quiet and luxury to come back to the KG at the end of the day, In fact one night we showered, got wrapped up in our robes and ate take out in the room with a bottle wine. Pure decadence and the perfect ending to a long day.

Staff was helpful, friendly and accommodating. Location could not have been better. We took the Metro from the airport which was surprising easy. And you come out practically right on top of the hotel.

A lovely stay.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Beit Shemesh, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This decor of this hotel is truly lovely. it is located a minute's walk away from a lively pedestrian area. The service is also fantastic. We were disappointed that there is no pool and spa at the hotel. The clerk at the front desk had described the spa facilities, and told us they were located on the lower level. When we went to the lower level, we found the gym, and then looked everywhere for the spa and pool, to no avail. When we returned to the front desk, the clerk explained that we would actually have to leave the hotel and go to the hotel next door for the spa. The hotel is located right in the middle of a city, so we did not feel comfortable going in and out in our bathing suits, or changing just to return to our hotel room. Next time, I would stay in the hotel next door.

Room Tip: Take a room on a high floor for a great view of the Acropolis.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed here for 1 night using SPG points. Check-in was easy. The hotel is a short taxi ride from the Acropolis. There are always several attendants outside assisting with bags and hailing taxis. The hotel is next to the Grand Bretagne. We ate breakfast and dinner on the open air rooftop restaurant at the Bretagne, which has a phenomenal view of the Acropolis. The King George does have a rooftop restaurant of its own.

The rooms are in an elegant classical style. We found the room to be clean and comfortable, albeit with simple/minimalistic furnishing.

As an SPG Gold member, we received complimentary WiFi and a discount on dining at the Grand Bretagne.

Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here for four days in May 2015. My visit was intended to be a mix of leisure and business, but unfortunately it ended up being mostly business---so I spent a lot of time in my room. I was very pleased that they upgraded me to a suite (mainly because I'm a Starwood member), and can only echo the comments others have made: the hotel's location, food, and service are mostly impeccable.

That said, three major failings prevent me from giving the King George a five-star review and make me unlikely to return. Ironically, most of them were in some way linked to the upgrade, which also included free wifi and a credit at Tudor Hall, the restaurant on the 7th floor with amazing views of the Acropolis.

1. The wifi didn't work when I checked in, or for the first 12 hours I was there. Which meant that I couldn't work for 12 hours. The King George's system kept picking up the signals of its sister hotel, the Bretagne, so I couldn't log in. The staff kept talking to me like I was an idiot who knew nothing about how to log into a wifi network. I've traveled the world and stayed in innumerable hotels, so I found this a bit irritating. The problem was only fixed when they finally came to my room and saw that, indeed, I had described the problem accurately. They claimed never to have seen it happen before, and finally just had me log into the Bretagne's system.

On a related note: why in the world is a hotel that charges 300+ euros a night still charging for wifi? Nickle and diming your guests for a service that even the lowest-end hostel or cafe provides for free is simply bad business. The King George should do what every other hotel (large and small) does and provide an access code on their check-in materials, and save themselves and their guests a lot of irritation. If they're worried about the (negligible) costs, they could add 5 euros to the room rate and no one would notice or care. I would guess that 90 percent of the guests in the hotel use the Internet, and that wifi-related inquiries eat up nearly half of the staff's time. Charging for wifi makes absolutely no sense. (Neither does charging for movies---premium channels are standard even in dingy motels---but I don't watch television, so I couldn't care less about that.)

2. The safe didn't work. I was traveling with a considerable amount of cash, as well as my passport, numerous credit cards, and sensitive work-related documents. Again, when I described the problem to the hotel staff, they treated me like an idiot. And again, I know how to program a four-key hotel safe: I've done it many times before. It's just that it's not possible to open a safe when there's no handle on the door. As before, this point was only confirmed when a member of the night staff came up at 2 am and pried open the door with a pen. Security was supposed to come the next day to fix it, but never did. I ended up buying a pair of nail clippers so that I could be sure to pry it open myself for my 5 am departure.

3. I had a lunch credit for the restaurant (Tudor Hall), so I rushed back from visiting the Acropolis to take advantage of it on my last night there. It was delicious, and I ate lightly (oysters, an appetizer, and a cocktail) because I had reservations for a proper meal later. All the cocktails were in the 10-15 euro range, which was reasonable for a restaurant of that caliber. So I ordered a glass---not a bottle---of prosecco, which is universally cheaper than champagne and goes well with oysters. I figured it would be at most 20 euros. So I was shocked when the bill came and the glass was 50 euros. I've never ordered a 50 euro drink in my life. For comparison, most of the ENTREES in the restaurant are 20-30 euros. The most expensive is, I think, 36. So 50 for a glass of prosecco is ludicrous.

I paid it, obviously, but it left a very bad taste in my mouth, and I canceled my reservations for later that night. The other restaurant had been recommended and the reservations made by the King George, so I gave the front desk clerk back the reservation card and politely asked him to cancel the reservation. He did so and asked if everything was OK. I said that it was, but also casually mentioned that Tudor Hall should consider mentioning when it's planning to charge 50 euros for a glass of prosecco. (My entire meal at the other restaurant would have been 50-70 euros.) He didn't seem to care, and I think he was the manager. At that point I didn't care either, and went to mail some postcards.

(And lest I be considered cheap, a couple nights before I'd eaten at the Funky Gourmet---arguably the best restaurant in Athens---which on my own ran nearly 200 euros and was worth every cent.)

Anyway, these experiences were not becoming of a 5-star property, no matter how lovely the rooms or how competent some of the staff. Angelos and Boris, on the night shift, were especially exemplary and patient with my propensity for little sleep, seeing as how I wanted to see Athens as well as complete some urgent work. But for both business and pleasure travelers, major problems with things as basic as wifi and room safes are simply unacceptable at this price range, and the staff was fully aware that they were issues for me. I simply didn't complain loudly or often, but I was most certainly distracted and upset by them, and they marred my stay in Athens.

On my next visit to Athens, I'll be far more likely to stay at the Bretagne. I went there for a swim, and it was gorgeous and the staff were very friendly and responsive---and I wasn't even an official guest! (Guests at the King George can swim at the Bretagne because the gym at the King George is a bit, umm, wanting---another reason I wouldn't rush to stay there again.)

Room Tip: I was facing the courtyard, which had no view and was loud when the windows were open because of the...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled solo
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at this hotel during our visit a few weeks ago.. The hotel was beautiful, the staff was so nice and accommodating with all our "extra luggage" . The rooms were clean and beautiful and the air worked great!!! The bed was one of my favorites and most comfortable bed I have had on our trip... Location was great, we walked to everything.

Room Tip: great view, comfortable beds!! great staff
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We were checked by sofia who was helpful and explained everything in detail. The hotel has beautiful rooms and breakfast area on the 7 th floor has amazing view of the tudor hotel. Superb food and location. Only negative is spa is next door in their sister hotel. Worth a stay.

Barbados
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I want to give a fair review, because so much is right about this hotel, but the reality is that I would not revisit and I would have a hard time recommending it. Our experience may have just been unfortunate timing, but it did happen - unfortunately.

I was unaware until we arrived that the King George is a sister property to the Hotel Grande Bretagne which is right next door. I was deciding between these two properties before we made our booking, thought this might interest others. Also, the two properties share restaurants, spa etc. We selected the King George because of the wood floors in the bedrooms vs. carpet it appears online in the HGB.

Here is what met our expectations:
- Early Check-in and Late Check-out requests were both accommodated
- Our rate included complimentary lunch in the HGB next door. It was not a selection off the full menu, it was a choice of two dishes, but it was very nice and appreciated.
- Our rate included complimentary breakfast at the roof top restaurant - also very pleasant.
- We were given a beautiful room on the 6th (top) floor overlooking the square. Everything met our expectations. We were very happy with the room.
- Room service for dinner was very nice.

So why wouldn't we stay again? It came down to the following:

1) While we had a short wait for the room to be made available. I was in need of a coffee as I wasn't feeling well and needed to be warmed up. I asked one of the young men working where I could find some coffee, could he help me find the restaurant? He indicated that it was for guests only and to go and find coffee on the street. I was insulted and surprised at the response. My husband went outside and brought back a fabulous cappuccino. There are no facilities in the lobby with the exception of 2 computers that are a paid service. There is free wifi in the lobby only. Room for improvement for the hotel. Water/Coffee in the lobby would be nice.

2) Unfortunately for the last 11 years on May 9th there is a 'Protestival' Raggae type concert that takes place in the square. It was VERY loud music with speakers from 1pm through 1am according to the flyer I found. There was no information about this from the hotel upon booking, or checking in, no note under the door. At 1:30 a.m. I rang downstairs as the concert was still ongoing, they indicated they didn't know when it would end and that they were out of earplugs. I indicated I had my own. At 2:30, we finally got to sleep. I had arrived tired and not feeling well. I left the next day very run down and feeling terrible, all of that for $500....no thank you. My husband says they can't control what happens in the square, but they could put in better sound proofing in the window/doors. They have not put in the right sound proofing given their location. Even on a regular day you can hear every dog barking, and leaf blowers etc, never mind a concert with huge speakers and heavy metal rock music.

3) Upon checkout there was no mention of the noise, no offer to remove the wifi or dinner charges, anything to show understanding for the terrible experience we had just survived.

Given the musical protest is an annual event, I think the hotel could better manage the information shared with guests, I would have also preferred a room at the back of the hotel rather than overlooking the square if I'd known.

Hopefully a once in a lifetime experience - dreadful.

Room Tip: If a good night sleep is important, you may chose to be at the back of the hotel away from the squar...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to King George A Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!