“Excellent hotel pick - exceeded expectations!” 5 of 5 stars

Airotel Parthenon
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Makri 6, Athens 11742, Greece   |
Ranked #48 of 324 hotels in Athens
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Excellent hotel pick - exceeded expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with the value of this hotel. Maybe the hotel overall could use a facelift, but that wasn't too important to me, compared to the excellent service, excellent location, clean rooms, and outstanding value for the price overall!

• Stayed December 2012

944 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

You can't go wrong with the location of this hotel. It's walkable distance everything you want. The room itself is average, but sufficient. We did not sleep very well, mostly because we found the mattresses to be uncomfortable.

The breakfast that was included was a nice touch.

The elevators are ridiculously small!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

For a school trip to Greece, we stayed at the hotel Parthenon for 4 nights.
It was a pretty good hotel considering being used to 6 star hotels.
The staff was friendly at times and rooms were a pretty good..
Dinner at the hotel wasn't the best but it was okay:)
Breakfast was awesome though! Huge variety of Greek AND English selections...

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My enjoyable two-week stay in Athens was made even better by the excellent staff at the Airotel Parthenon. I had a good idea of what I wanted to do and see, but I was able to do and see much more thanks to their helpful, friendly advice. They gave me insider tips for where to shop (January-February sales!), eat, and pamper myself. The staff speaks perfect English, but I learned a lot of Greek, too! If you are a walker like me (at least five miles a day), this hotel is perfectly situated to walk to everything of interest - temples, monuments, ruins, Contemporary Art galleries, museums, churches, tavernas, and parks. I took the Metro only once during my entire visit.

The breakfast was fortifying and delicious and I didn't feel hungry until lunch-time. After a couple of days, the restaurant staff took note of where I sat, and that I liked cappuccino and the International Herald Tribune each morning. The free Internet service in the lobby was very convenient, though slow at times. You can pay to get a faster connection.

At first, I was given a room on the 4th floor overlooking the quiet side street, but was then moved to Room 512, which I really enjoyed. There was a nice terrace where I could have my morning coffee and listen to the canaries sing, and see the mountains and rooftops of Athens. [I was also offered Room 601 because I had requested it, based on traveler reviews. It has a view of the Parthenon, but I much preferred 512.] One suggestion I have is that the towels should be replaced (they are a little worn out) and it would be nice to have washcloths, too. Otherwise, the amenities, TV, and coffee/tea set-up were fine. The bed was very comfortable and I slept well every night I was there.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors overlooking the side street are a good bet because they are quieter with more...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
stuttgart
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Positive things first... The location is absolutely perfect. Less than a block from the Acropolis Metro station, on the edge of Plaka, and walking distance to Acroplois and other archeological sites. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Since we had such trouble with our room(s) they sent a fruit basket to soften the blow.
We had to switch rooms four times until we found one without mold. I do not mean a little discoloration in the caulk around the tub. The shower ceilings were so caked with black smelly mold that it looked like it would drip on me. YECH!
Breakfast was cold and old. Coffee, Crepes and yogurt worthwhile. Skip everything else.
4-stars? Maybe twenty years ago. The whole hotel is dated and warn. Parthenon Hotel is probably worth the money due to its location but choose your room carefully.

Room Tip: Check the bathroom for mold. Get the safe key (if you want it) before going to your room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GROUP-AIROTEL, Front Office Manager at Airotel Parthenon, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us whilst travelling to Athens last February.

Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and we regret that on this occasion we were unable to fulfill this commitment. We have noted your comment about the level of service you received and would like to express our sincere apologies for the disappointment caused to you. Lapses in our usually high standards of service are indeed rare and we appreciate any feedback that will assist us in further improving upon our standards.

May we also take this opportunity to inform you that the hotel is under facility-wide cleaningness, so as to face this kind of issues mentioned in your comment.
Regarding breakfast, the issue has been discussed with the heads of the appropriate department in order to take appropriate corrective action.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Airotel Parthenon Hotel on your next visit to Athens.

Kind Regards,
Theodoros Evaggelopoulos

Front Office Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I just returned from 4 nights at the Airotel Parthenon, and was overall very pleased with my stay. There are two highlights at this property- the location and the staff. It's easy to access from the airport, thanks to the nearby Metro stop, it's right around the corner from the Plaka neighborhood and a 2 minute walk away from the Acropolis and Acropolis museum, yet the street itself is quiet and peaceful, so you get the best of both worlds! The staff were outstanding as well, happy to answer any questions about the area, transportation, restaurant recommendations, etc. I had a very early flight back to Poland, early enough that the Metro wouldn't be running when I needed to get to the airport, and they arranged a wake-up call, airport transfer and an early breakfast for me, which made the morning much less stressful.

The area that I think the Parthenon could improve on most are the rooms themselves. I had a comfortable bed, but the rooms lack character and feel very impersonal, like you could be anywhere in the world. The walls are also quite thin- I'm a light sleeper, and was frequently woken up by conversations or television coming from adjoining rooms. I was also baffled to see the rooms didn't have alarm clocks or Do Not Disturb signs, (in a 4 star hotel? Really?) and the climate system was rather odd in that it didn't have a "fan" setting, just heating or air-conditioning, neither of which you really want in Athens in February. I didn't spend much time in my room, but it's clear to me that the rooms don't match the outstanding service and location of the Parthenon.

Still, unless you require a lot of creature comforts or can't sleep unless you're surrounded by designer furnishings, I would still recommend this hotel, particularly if it's your first time in the city- the location and staff are that good.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor if possible, to reduce street noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Macon, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Can't beat the location! Walking distance to so many landmarks as well as a nice shopping/touristy area. The gelato place around the corner was fabulous!
On a big group (about 40 people) trip we stayed here two nights total. The rooms were very comfortable and clean, as were the bathrooms. The restaurant was lovely, especially the breakfast. The WiFi only seemed to work in certain parts of the hotel which was annoying.
Since the cost was part of the one fee paid to the tour company, I cannot speak to the value for the dollar, and I did not visit the pool or fitness center.
I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Athens.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Airotel Parthenon? Share your experiences!