“Quite spartan” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #111 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Paris, France
“Quite spartan”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I ended up staying in this location at the advice of friends since our stay was brief in Athens. I was suprised after reading other reviews as the level of this property was far below my expectations. If one is just looking for a spartan room or a hostel then this would be appropriate. Yes, the location was a plus in terms of walking to sites, but I would have preferred a hotel with more amenities. Also, the "hotel" was clean, rooms neat and no concerns with air conditioning. Breakfast was adequate but again the entire experience was not that of being in a hotel. If one needs a clean, safe, basci room to sleep...then this is the place. The Adams should be classified as a hostel--that would be more appropriate and fair.

Luckily, we did not have to spend much time here. I would have chosen another site.

Room Tip: I do not consider this a real hotel. It belongs in a hostel category...and with that classification...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Greek first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

This hotel has the best location in a quiet alley way in the Plaka, right next to the Akropolis and the Museum - perfect if you only have a short time in Athens. It is a bit old and tired with basic furniture and hard beds (as in all of Greece!) but has all i need which is:
location
air conditioning that works well
very clean
good hot shower
good value for money.
very short walk from the metro (Akropoli)
If you are going out to eat - go away from the touristy Plaka area for more authentic Greek fare.

Room Tip: room 301 has a large outdoor 'terrace'
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We chose a room with a total capacity for 5 people although there were 3 of us. It was spacious and surprisingly quiet, and had several balconies. All 3 of us found the beds very comfortable. Another surprise was the great breakfast which included really delicious bread: one of the best breakfasts we have ever had in Greece. This is a great hotel for the price and its location was perfect for our short 2-night stay – no time wasted walking from the airport bus as Syntagma Sq. is a 7-10 mins. walk, or finding what we wanted to see, which was mainly the New Acropolis Museum, or in finding somewhere for dinner as Plaka is just around the corner. Our room had no Acropolis view from the balconies but we were happy to forego this for the great value of our room – anyway there is such a brilliant Acropolis view from the New Museum we didn’t miss it! This hotel is very good overall value if you're on a budget. We've had really poor breakfasts & grumpy service in Athens in other hotels with an Acropolis view – at Adams we got helpful service and a lovely breakfast. Rooms other than ours at Adams have Acropolis views but may well be noisier.
The bathroom was very small with little ventilation but this was worth putting up with for our brief stay. We were delighted with our stay overall and would stay at Adams again – very happy with the location, very happy with the service, very happy with the breakfast - but just don’t expect it to be the Grande Bretagne!

Room Tip: Decide whether you want an Acropolis view or quietness, both may not be possible
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

My husband and I spent 2 nights at Hotel Adams while in Athens. The location is in the heart of Plaka -- the main touristy area in Athens. That part was great for us, since we only had about 36 hours to see all the sights on our way back from the islands.

Unfortunately, that is where the positives for this hotel end. The room was shabby, and the spreads on the bed were old, musty, and stained. The sheets and towels were clean, but threadbare. The pillows were stained under the pillow cases. The bathroom was clean, but the corners of the room and under the bed were dirty. There was dust and hairs on the nightstand, making it very obvious that they hadn't cleaned. They pressured us to pay for both nights upon check-in, before ever seeing the room. I am a budget traveler accustomed to simple rooms, and was very disappointed by this hotel. I would not go back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Location is everything and this hotel cannot be better placed, being in the heart of Plaka. If you are looking for a good budget-conscious booking you can't go wrong. We booked two family rooms; one had two separate bedrooms the other had two beds in a small room off the door, but was offset by an enormous veranda with great views. The bathrooms are tired but work. Breakfast was fine; there was plenty and the Greek yoghurt and honey was to die for. Certainly would recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

Adams hotel - Athens
Great location.
The hotel has an excellent central location in Plaka, however my taxi driver found it difficult to find as it is amongst the labyrinth of streets of Plaka. I was staying here with some family, there were 6 of us in total. My family arrived first earlier in the day and I arrived at about 10 in the evening. Upon arrival I fell up the stairs and the man attending the reception desk just looked at me and didn't do anything to help me at all. I told him I was with the party of 6, to which he said your family are out and I don't know which room you are in, so you'll have to wait for them to get back before I can let you in. I asked if we could look in the three rooms and just see which one was empty, but he said no. All I wanted was a shower after my long journey, and it was only after I made the effort to contact my relatives that they came back and I could get into the room.
The room itself was perfectly functional, the bed was comfortable, clean bed linen, air con. The bathroom was very tiny, but the shower worked, so was fine.
The lady that was on reception was very friendly and helpful, she helped us get a minibus down to Lavrion for the following day and was generally nice and chatty, asking where we were from and if we needed any help with knowing what to see where to eat etc.
The breakfast was ok, consisting of a continental style.
In the second evening, the night receptionist was again quite rude, he asked us to 'move {out of the foyer}, I'm trying to work', also later we went for dinner and popped back to the hotel,(The door was at this time locked and so he had to come and open it for guests), we wanted to go out for a few drinks and he was very persistent in asking when we would be back and it was a massive inconvenience for him to have to open the door for us.
All in all, the hotel was perfectly functional, in an excellent area, the daytime reception lady was lovely, but the night receptionist left a lot to be desired in the customer service area. Definitely good value for money in comparison to a lot of others in the area.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We were really impressed with this tourist level hotel. It's right in the Plaka (but the quiet part of the Plaka). Our room also came with a great acropolis view. The rate was around $80 per night. The breakfast was also included, and not bad. For the price, this place can't be beat.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Adams Hotel? Share your experiences!