“Conveniently located hotel near to attractions” 3 of 5 stars

Marble House
35 Zinni Anastasiou | Koukaki, Athens 11741, Greece   |
Ranked #24 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Amsterdam
“Conveniently located hotel near to attractions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Finding a place in Athens was not an easy task. Especially finding one in a nice area and within a reasonable budget. Marble House served the scope and within this respect it was a perfect compromise. It sits at the end of a closed side street (so it was quite); the area itself is not compelling, just regular residential but it’s at walking distance from the Acropoli and Plaka. The metro stop (Sigrou-Fix) is 5 minutes walking away.
I booked through email/phone and received a confirmation along with detailed description about how to reach the hotel. Upon arrival I was given the main info and the key of my room. The room was on the third floor and it was of adequate size. It was furnished with a single bed, a desk with chair, a closet (with safe), a fridge and maybe a tv, don’t remember. The room, on the third floor, was clean (besides the very dusty ventilator) but I found it a bit drab and uninspiring: walls were naked and the paint not so fresh anymore and showing a few cracks. Also I found the mattress to be not comfortable (I could feel some of the springs sticking out) . The attached bathroom was very small but clean: the shower needed to be hand held and there was no curtain of screen, so, the floor gets flooded. The room had also a balcony with a plastic table and two chairs which was very large and pleasant, shaded by green trees. Breakfast was not included in the room rate, but offered for an additional charge (I think € 4-5), but I did not make use of this service.
Two weeks later (at the end of my holiday) I spent one more night at the Marble Hotel: this second room (I believe it was a double though and not a single) was better than the previous one and the bed was more comfortable.
I met Christos only once and I found him to be a quite pleasant and friendly fellow who gave me info and tips. The other people at the front desk, were less friendly and less enthusiastic than him.
At the moment of check-in I was asked for my document and this was kept by the staff until the moment I paid the bill. Having been requested to leave a credit card number as guarantee (compulsory to secure the booking) I found this unnecessary. Also, when I left the hotel the first time, I was requested to pay in advance also for the night I would spend there two weeks later, without being given the chance to choose otherwise. In the policy I received by email it was only mentioned that the payment would need to be done in cash, but there was no mention of advanced payment or of the seizing of the document.
All in all, I had an ok stay at the Marble House: it delivered on the main checkboxes, providing a safe, clean and fairly central location close to transportation, but didn’t make an above average impression.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Many thanks to the wonderful family who run the Marble House and have done for 35 years. Christos (the son) was a terrific source of local information helping me with really good restaurants and travel information. The hotel is spotless and welcoming and I really felt like I was part of the family unlike some of the larger hotels. They really went out of their way to accommodate me even when my travel plans changed. I would say its fantastic value for money and very close to the Acropolis but far enough away to give you a feel of a real Athenian neighbourhood.Thanks again for making my stay so great!

Room Tip: Ask for one with a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Without a doubt this is the most comfortable budget hotel in Athens. Not only because the price, their owners make your life easier than never before in any other turistic place. A very kind attention and treatment too. Also the hotel has the best location and you can reach any main spot in Athens in just a jiffy by walking, metro or bus... but since its very close to almost everything you do not need public transportation. Besides all this, the rooms are very clean as is the whole hotel. Just perfect! Make a good choice and enjoy your vacations in Athens by choosing this hotel!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Longmont, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed at the Marble House on both ends of our Greece trip. Christos' hospitality just can't be beat. When we arrived the first time, Christos welcomed us, allowed us to refresh after our long flight, then gave us a map, directions to Acropolis, Plaka, restaurants and the like. He even helped us with directions to the train station, and told us when to leave in order to arrive at the station on time. When we returned after two weeks, he wanted to hear about all the places we had been, what we had seen and done, and what we liked and disliked about Greece.

Our first room was on the 4th floor, and had yet to be updated. Even so, it was clean and comfortable. When we returned, we were given a newly updated room on the third floor. Again, the room was clean and comfortable. Both rooms had small balconies, ceiling fans and fridges. Both were on the smaller size, but perfectly acceptable to us.

Marble House is on a quiet, dead end street, just 10 minutes walk to the main tourist destinations of the Acropolis, Plaka, and Monastiraki. The metro station is quite convenient, and Christos provides directions from the airport for your arrival.

Marble House is a great friendly choice for a stay in Athens.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rosenheim, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Marble House is very best situated in the Center of Athens in a quiet little street aside from big traffic. You need only a few minutes by foot to reach Acropolis, Acropolis-Museum, Plaka and so many other famous places. The next Metro-Station is nearby and you can make a short trip maybe to Piraeus. Restaurants and coffee-shops are also nearby, only a few minutes to walk. We felt very comfortable in the friendly and familiar atmosphere of Marble House. The rooms are very clean and have balcony. The staff is friendly and helpful, especially Christos at the reception-desk. For persons who are for the first time in Athens he can give many recommendations. So it was no problem for me and my juvenile daughter that we both young girls were travelling alone in Athens. I hope to come back soon. My first choice for accomodation will be Marble House again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Kalisz, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stayed in the Marble house from the 25th to the 28th of May 2013. It was an excellent experience - the staff is very welcoming and helpful. The hotel is well located in a quiet side alley of an Anglican church and the entrance is nicely shaded by a large tree - the shade and the comfortable room of the hotel provided a welcome rest from the heat and hustle-bustle of the streets. Right around the corner there is a small restaurant with firendly staff, serving excellent, fresh fish. Highly recommended!!

Room Tip: Room 12 has a nice balcony shaded byt the tree n front of the entrace
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Was a great place to stay in Athens, at a reasonable price. Includes the basics, enough for resting, then you are close enough to see all the good sights such as the Acropolis, Olympia Zeus, Panathenaic stadium. The staff were very helpful and friendly- kind enough to organise late arrivals (ferries from Greek islands do regularly hangs schedule).

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Marble House? Share your experiences!