“Not recommended, noisy, dodgy location cleanliness questionable” 1 of 5 stars

Oscar Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 Filadelfias and Samou Street, Athens 10439, Greece   |
Ranked #145 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Papamoa, New Zealand
“Not recommended, noisy, dodgy location cleanliness questionable”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

We were away from home for 6 weeks and we stayed in everything from 1 star to 5 star hotels and this was easily the worst.
The room was tired beds were rock hard, the room felt dirty, The lighting in the room was poor.
The bathroom was dingy. The water temperature varied from hot to cold without touching the tap. I am 5 foot 2 inches tall and the shower was too short for me!
At 1pm in the morning a large group of people were yelling in the corridor for well over an hour. There was also loud traffic in the street and car alarms going off.
I would not walk on the streets at night even with my husband in this area.
We were sold internet acces for 5euro for half an hour. The computers kept logging off and the keyboards were dodgy.
However it was close to the metro and train station and the reception staff were friendly.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
BlueMeenie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

I note that most of the bad comments about the Oscar are in respect to the student groups that often stay there. I traveled with such tourist groups on three previous stays at the hotel. Yes, they do get rowdy and noisy. But these groups aren't just loud-mouthed American youth. On my most recent stay a double busload of adult Japanese tourists were every bit as noisy, pushy and annoying as our American kids. A group of Aussies were also doing their fair share of partying. Had I been paying for this place on my own personal vacation, I think I'd be a bit irritated too. That's why I pack earplugs in my overnight bag.

The hotel is in pretty decent repair if you've ever seen other Athens hotels and businesses. These are tough times economically in Greece, but the Oscar has so far kept most of their services running and the rooms clean. On my most recent visit the a/c left a lot to be desired, but a hot shower before bed and laying on top of the sheets as the a/c struggled to spew out some cool air allowed me to get some sleep. Compared to walking through the Plaka or ascending up to the Acropolis, the Oscar felt somewaht comfortable. AIr conditioning doesn't seem too popular in Athens.

The breakfasts and dinners were much improved over our past visit in 2007. Breakfast featured hard-boiled and scrambled eggs and hot dogs (?). A nice variety of cereals was available and my mainstay, yoghurt with honey was always at the buffet. Like all the Mediterranean cultures, the Greeks have no idea how to make decent orange juice. The lukewarm water was a tastier compliment to the rolls and meats.

The rooftop pool is a crowd-pleaser. The views of the Acropolis from up there are beautiful. A cozy rooftop bar is a nice way to spend the evening perched above the city of Athens.

As far as dinner, this was where we saw much improvement in our tour accomodations. That salads were fresher, instead of trying to please the kids with Greek versions of American food, the Oscar staff stuck with serving us Greek meals including Moussaka, Spinach pie, Greek salad, and some sort of nicely seasoned chopped meat that tasted like my Grandma's filling for stuffed cabbage.

The location is fabulous with the subway half a block away and the train station just a few steps beyond that. A Chinese laundry is a just a few blocks further away where you can get your clothes washed, dried and folded for 10 Euro. Best of all, if you exit the hotel and take a left walking past the local basketball/playground area and continue another block, you will pass a fabulous bakery with every kind of Greek pastry you'd ever want. They also have a nice gelato selection. Plus the shop is air-conditioned.

Walking past the bakery, go left at the end of the block and continue crossing the street to the block with the big local church. Catacorner from here, at 13 AG. Pavlou is "Tasty Corner". It's a local taverna where many of the locals hang out for dinner or order gyros to go. We ate here every chance we got. Ask for Dimitri. He's the most skilled, fastest blur of a waiter I've ever seen. For 2.30 Euro you get a meat-stuffed gyro and for another 2.50 a big bottle of Mythos to wash it down. Tzatziki and pita bread are similarly priced. The Greek salad is huge with a piece of feta cheese on top that's bigger than any block of feta you would find in an American foodstore. If you want to do an Andrew Zimmern, the lamb's head is a mere 6 Euro. Watermelon is a freebie they throw in at the end of the meal. When our large group of kids couldn't find a vacant table, all the waiters rushed inside to grab table and chairs to create a dining area for us on the sidewalk. An awesome place. There are numerous other tavernas and restaurants in this square as well, including a hookah bar.

• Stayed July 2010
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

Awesome staff. very responsive. Good breakfast...delicious "red" hot chocolate & amazing Greek Yogurt!

Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

Good price for a good hotel. The rooms were adequate, nothing fancy, and included a balcony. The downside to the view was that there was some major construction across the street, so if you are wanting to sleep in, you might not want a room facing that side. The TV channels didn't offer a very wide selection. Their breakfast buffet had a large variety and even had scambled eggs. There is a nice pool on top and the hotel is right next to public transport, so overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

My friend and I stayed at two hotels in Athens: the Stanley and the Oscar. It was a day & night experience. Where the Stanley had cramped quarters, impolite staff and a certain lack of charm, the Oscar was delightful.
- There are 6-8 computers in the lobby (tastefully separated from the lounge area) for internet use. While you do need to purchase a card to use the computers, access is easy, quick and available 24/7.
- The room was spacious and you easily could do a full turn in the bathroom with arms outstretched (unlike the Stanley, which had bathrooms smaller than a coat closet).
- The staff was helpful and polite. While we only stayed there for one night, we ended up approaching the lobby desk with questions on nearby attractions no less than 3 times, and they were always patient and willing to take the time to help.
- The room was clean, well-furnished and the floor was quiet at night.
Very impressed for the money (the room was about 90 Euros.)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Wash DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

The Oscar Hotel has a great lobby, the front desk personnel are friendly and responsive. The Larissa subway station is a few short steps from the front door. The rooms are clean and modern, but on my first day back from a cruise, I was given a room with sewer gas coming into the bathroon. The next day, they gave me a much better room with a full balcony. The breakfast buffet is extensive. The six computers available in the lobby - at 5 Euros for 90 minutes- are slow, and seem to break down every few minutes, making checking e-mail very slow and difficult. I didn't see any information about restaurants in the neighborhood. Many, many students on tours were there where I was there, but earplugs solved any teen noise. I'd recommend the hotel. The close subway stop is the biggest advantage.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Tel aviv
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

I booked this hotel directly from their website (march 2010 )
since I got a good impresion from the pictures
of the hotel room and hotel exterior looking.
now I think the right name for this hotel have to be:
"Nightmare". I would like to mantion that I travel a lot in the word,
and I was a guest of many hotels wordwide, BUT
I NEVER HAD SUCH A BAD EXPERIENCE. NEVER.

when I got my room I was in total shock, the room
(which supposed to be for 2 adults) was like a
prison cell: extremly small and disgusting and after
asking to change my room I got another one which
look exactly the same, but it was completly different
from the nice room showed on their website...
I check also a third room in the same time, one that
supposed to be "the best" they have at that time,
but it wasn't really a better room, they just make fun of me.

in addition of the terrible room, there was a lot of noise,
due to the youth students and childrens groups in the
hotel, and they shouted all the night long and also in the day.
finally I decidet that I had enought from this nightmare and I
had to ask them my money back.
I will remember this hotel in my entier life.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Been to Oscar Hotel? Share your experiences!