“Nice Hotel; a Bit Far from City Center to Be Convenient” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #76 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Warren, Massachusetts
2,205 helpful votes 2,205 helpful votes
“Nice Hotel; a Bit Far from City Center to Be Convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

This Crowne Plaza is a nice hotel designed with Americans in mind. The design is sleek and modern with lots of high-tech features. I was assigned a small room on the club floor one floor below the pool and dining room. Entry to the room is via credit card-type key. You place the key against a key pad and the door buzzes open. The same key is necessary to operate the elevator. The key is set into a cradle by the door and the electricity in your room works.

The room was small, but comfortable with clean and modern design, good air conditioning, and nice artwork. The king bed was comfortable with crisp cotton sheets and multiple pillows. A flat screen TV had plenty of channels and sound was channeled into the bathroom via a speaker in the bath ceiling. Nice fabrics and Berber-type carpet in this room...good lighting and plenty of hanging space in the closet. A terrace was provided with this room; no view to speak of and no furnishings on the terrace.

Note that in Athens most hotels don't designate non-smoking rooms. There were ash trays in this room, but fortunately no smoke smell. There was a nice coffee station with a mini-bar beneath. Coffee, tea, and hot chocolate could be made from packets provided as part of room cost. The bath was quite comfortable with lovely irredescent tiles and indirect lighting through a stained glass panel. Amenities, face cloths, and fluffy towels added to the experience.

One floor up was a restaurant that served dinner and breakfast. The view of the hills from the breakfast room is spectacular. The breakfast was ok and included two kinds of eggs, sausages, bacon, breads, sweet rolls, fruit, yogurt, and cereals. The pool was just outside and was quite small, but in the heat of early September in Athens, its cool water was refreshing. Very few people seemed to use it.

Downstairs, the reception area was expansive with a nice bar and lots of seating. Overall, the hotel was comfortable and nicely decorated, but I consider it too from from the Plaka district to be convenient for tourists who want to see the city. It's about a half hour walk to Syntagma Square, a long way in hot weather. The metro stop is quite close, however. On a future trip to Athens, I think I'd prefer to be closer to the action of the Plaka district.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Greek first
Hasselt, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

The hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the metro and only 3 stops away from Syntagma Square so not in the busy city centre but easily reachable. It also has a good connection with the airport, about 40 minutes by metro without having to change metro lines.

Being out of the city centre, there's not much to do around the hotel and the pool on the roof top was quite small. Service at the pool was slow and drinks and food in the hotel are quite expensive.

The rooms were clean and big enough. We didn't have much of a view on our room but from the breakfast room on the roof top you have a marvellous view of the hills. The breakfast was ok but didn't give much choice of food.

Staff was friendly and helpful. On our last day we had a flight home at 8 PM. When we checked out in the morning we could leave our luggage and freshen up (even shower) when we returned at night before going to the airport.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

I always like the hotels in the Intercon Hotel group but I felt this hotel was a real let down. Firstly as a tourist I would not stay here again, it is just too far away from the main tourists area of Plaka, for us it was a 35min walk in the sweltering heat across big dangerous (Greek drivers are mad) interesections! Yes there is a Metro 10min away but I just don't think you save any money but staying a little bit out of town, we were able to stay in Plaka for 10E more and got a bigger room with balconey, free wireless and free breakfast (see my Diamond Hotel review). So upon checkin was greated nicely and thanked for being a Priority Club member, then in the next breath was told checkout it as 12 (Priority Club it's 2pm) and I never received my complimentary newspaper. I'm not sure this hotel understand it's on membership club?? The foyer and rooms kinda remind me of the gaming floor in a casino, neon and red everywhere! The rooms are pretty small so i think they are more designed for business people not so much tourists. The bags took ages to get to the room, so I had to go looking for them and the bell clerk to hurry him up -- 25min. Also when I checked in I inquired into a shuttle, thinking since it's so far away from Plaka they must run a shuttle - no they don't. On the day we were there, there was a complete Metro strike, hence why we ended up walking in the 37 degree heat! A good hotel manager would have anticipated guest needs and maybe even just hired a shuttle for the day to say run guests into town every 2 hours. There were a few of us all just looking at each other, nope other than a sign to inform us the metro was closed the hotel had organised nothing. The lady at the desk offered to call me a taxi, no way was I using a taxi again. I had just arrived off the ferries and with metro on strike the taxi drivers were having a feild day!! They were lining up to rip of tourists who had no choice on how they could get into town. We paid a stupendous amount of money just to get to Crowne, the city was in mayhem, people trying to flag taxis by running into the traffic. I was really surprised, Intercon Group hotels are usually very good at anticipating needs but on this occasion, you have all your tourist guests with 2 choices - make the long hot walk into town (some were quite elderly US toursists) or get ripped off by taxi on his bonanza day of the year. We travelled for 3 weeks in Greece and stayed in more expensive rooms and cheaper rooms and this was the only hotel who did not have free wifi???? This is supposed to be a global hotel group, wake up to global hotel trends??? I think there is 2 computers in the foyer where you get some free time, how backward is that? In your room you gotta pay big bucks, so again I think this hotel is more orientated to business travellers who charge it to their company. For the pluses, really nice bed! and the plunge pool on the roof was great to cool off in. So in all, don't stay here as a tourist, you're not saving any by staying out of CBD, you can find much better rooms closer, with free wifi, breakfast etc. There are a few cafes but nothing to write home about, the area is quite surburban and nothing really for the tourist. Athens is a great city, if you are here once, do yourself a favour and book closer to Plaka. If you are here on business I'm sure this hotel will meet all your needs.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, ihgcare at Crowne Plaza Hotel - Athens City Centre, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Athens City Centre. I apologize that the hotel location was not what you were expecting. I am pleased you did enjoy a comfortable bed and the plunge pool. Regarding the shuttle services we will review for possibly modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Brenda J.
IHGCare
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Overall, a very nice and relatively new hotel. Centrally located. Very clean hotel. Nice size rooms with comfortable beds. Our rate included breakfast, which was buffet in the top floor restaurant. Nice variety of breakfast food was available.

While the hotel is 2 subway stops from Syntagma, we were 4 of us and found it more economical to just flag a cab.

Several complaints about the hotel for management to consider:

1. They offer 30 minutes free internet, but only on the 2 computers in the business center which is off the main lobby. For a 5 star hotel IMHO this is not adequate. In this day and age I don't know whay they do not offer free wi-fi, even if it is just in the lobby.

2. The wake up call guarantee is worthless. There are cards in the room that provide that if they miss giving you your wake up call, the night is free. We had 2 rooms and , in person at the front desk, I requested a wake up call for both rooms.The wake up calls are done manually; no automated system. For whatever reason, they missed giving me a wake up call, When I raised the issue at the desk, the first response was that when I requested the wake up call, I only asked for 1 room(which was where our teenage kids were staying). When I persisted, they called a manager, who apologized, and said that she would look into it. Needless to say, I never heard back and did not get the free night. We returned to the hotel after a week in the islands, and nobody said anything about the "investigation". Not exactly 5 star treatment for a 5 star hotel. Why have the guarantee if you don't honor it?

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

Stayed at this Hotel with my points. When I arrived they upgraded me to Club Floor which was very nice. Hotel is very nicely updated and we had a great King bed suite with a large balcony. I have no complaints with the room which was great. The hotel is very close to Metro - short walk. Location is downtown but not would be too far to walk to Acropolis. It worked for us with a 3 1/2 yr old taking the metro was very close and convenient. The roof top pool was kind of disappointing - very small and freezing cold.
The other kind of funny thing is if you arrive in the evening and ask the bell hop where to eat he will send you a few blocks up a steep hill to a restauant. It was fine but everybody there was from the Crowne Plaza - they obviously give the bell hops a "finder's fee". There are actually 2 restaurants right next door. 1st one looked good and would have been a more convenient walk.
Overall, excellent would give 5 stars if it wan't for pool and slightly out of the way location.

Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

I liked the hotel. the room was spacious and clean. The breakfast was good. All personal I dealt with was extremly nice and helpful!
I can recommend to stay there

Warsaw
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

I was there for a week. Room was spacious, very nice and quite. I was a bit disappointed by the roof bar - I imagined it to be bigger. Service was very pleasant and approachable.
I really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel - Athens City Centre? Share your experiences!