“OK but not great” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #93 of 324 hotels in Athens
London, United Kingdom
“OK but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed 3 nights at Airotel Alexandros recently. The room was average size for the price and was clean enough. TV has only 5 or 6 channels. It was supposed to be free wi-fi everywhere in a hotel but the connection in a room was absolutely awful and I had to go to a lobby to check my mails. There was a kettle and tea/coffee making facility but the tea/coffee was never resupplied after the first day. During my stay the room was cleaned only once which was terrible for a 4-star hotel. Breakfast was average, but not special. I preferred breakfast at President Hotel nearby. The staff was not very smiley but if you need a help, they will help you. I had very noisy neighbours and couldn't sleep well.
Overall, it was OK but probably I won't stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

244 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Greek first
Paphos, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

After reviewing many hotels in Athens.was rather worried about location for noise and safety. This hotel is definitely good for both. Breakfast more than adequate, staff extremely friendly and helpful, rooms of good size although furniture rather dated. Clean linen every day, plus tea/coffee making facilities in room, and safe at no extra cost. Bath very small, but good for shower, plenty of hot water. Complimentary toiletries always topped up. Lift very small, but not unusual for older hotels in city centers Great location, just off main road so no noise, but easy access for metro ( 5minutes) and plenty of taxis at end of road. Great taverna out of hotel and turn right, wonderful food and value for money Would definitely recommend this hotel for value for money and location. Maybe not quite 4 star, but 3 star plus.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tirana, Albania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

4 stars Hotel with 80's tv, very hard bed and poor quality pillows. in our room wasn't any mini bar. Mini bathroom and very old towels. Breakfast good, location very good.

They need to change a lot of things in that place. Not worth it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Modi'in
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was in Athens for a conference, and needed a simple, inexpensive hotel for two nights. I found some that were cheaper, but the neighborhoods seems a bit worrisome. I ended up booking at the Airotel Alexandros, which looked like it was in a decent neighborhood -- and I'm not at all sorry that I did.

The hotel is, as I wrote, simple: The bedroom is of adequate size, the bathroom is small but certainly functional, with good water pressure and plenty of hot water. I didn't even try the TV to see what channels were there. The beds were a bit hard but certainly comfortable. The Wifi (an important part of any hotel stay for me) was just fine, although it ironically worked better for me in the room than in the lobby or dining room. Room service did their job well, without disturbing my things too much, which is always a hard balance to strike.

An electric kettle in the room, with a nice selection of tea, was nice. The hotel staff provided me with additional tea bags when I requested them.

Others have written that the elevators are quite small. This is absolutely true. I was traveling along and had one small bag. Otherwise, I'm not sure what I would have done. I had to keep from laughing every time I went into the elevator, it was so small.

My only real complaint was about the food. Breakfast was pretty sad, with very little fresh fruit, and no fresh vegetables. I didn't even see any yogurt, much to my surprise. I ended up having corn flakes and granola with canned fruit, and a bit of toast. Not too bad, but nothing exciting, either.

My first night, I got back to the hotel at about 10 p.m., which was too late to get any food from a local grocery or convenience store. "Fine," I thought, "I'll just order a salad from room service." The staff warned me that the kitchen had some electrical problems, but we agreed that a salad could still be made without electricity, and so I ordered it. About 10 minutes later, a tiny, poorly chopped "salad" was delivered to my room, along with three rolls so stale that I couldn't bit into them. All this, for 9.5 euros. Sigh.

The hotel's location is extremely convenient. It took about 35 minutes on the 3/blue metro line from the airport, and even though I had to consult the TripAdvisor mobile app's map every block to make sure I knew where I was going, I got from the metro to the hotel within 10 minutes. My second and last night in Athens, I walked from the Parliament building back to the hotel, and found it both convenient and easy to find.

All in all, I was looking for an inexpensive place to work and sleep when not at the conference I was attending, and I got precisely what I wanted.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

It was a 1 week stay in Athens to visit my friends and Airotel was chosen for it's location in Ampelokipi, a minute walk from Vas. Sofias Ave and 30 minutes walk from Syntagma square. Breakfast was good with a nice variety. Rooms definitely need renovation for TV, a/c, and furniture. However, despite all that I had a good stay as I enjoyed the location and good service. A travel agent (partner with hotel) have a arranged 2-days Mykonos trip for me and my friend which was good.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel for a conference. The Hotel is in a good location, the stuff is very friendly and helpfull. Breakfast was ok but nothing special.
But the Hotel has very thin Walls and it was very noisy at night ( there were people from Lybia and they had their own parties).
I would Not choose this Hotel again.

London UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I had read many other reviews of this hotel before we decided to book it with Ebookers with flights and hotel, to be honest I was not expecting much, I had it in mind that we would get a decent clean room, bed, shower for the 3 night stay, so my expectations were not high.

I was pleasantly surprised, we took an airport transfer from Athens International airport, and arrived after midnight, at reception, the 2 gentleman on duty were helpful and friendly, throughout our stay the staff were more than helpful, plus they all speak english, (so don't worry about your Greek), we were allocated a room on the 6th floor, the only let down which has been documented in many previous reviews is the quality and size of the lifts, my goodness are they small, you are lucky if you can just about get 2 people in, 1 person with a large suitcase just about fits, and there are 2 lifts, although to be honest, its not a major issue, you get used to it, don't let that in itself put you off booking this hotel.

What I immediately liked about this hotel was that we had free internet for the 3 day stay, thats a major plus for me, and its pretty good, over 2MB speed, the reception staff will tell you how to log in and get connected and its WIFI, overall, It was a good start, the rooms are basically what I expected to find, based on previous reviewers, we got what they got, a good size clean room, with adequate toiletries in a marble floor small bathroom, the shower is over the bath, although I was amused as others have been before us, that the curtain does not seem to suit the situation, it barely reaches the top of the bath, and if your not careful, you get a flood in the floor, but again, don't be put off by that, its a minor irritation and when you have been out all day in 30+ degrees heat touring the Akropolis, you will be glad of the nice hot showers you get in the rooms on your return, the shower is good easy to control and nice and hot, plenty of shower gel, toiletries etc are provided as our adequate bath towels.

My only criticism, and again, its only a minor criticism, is the quality of the beds, they came across to me as a little hard to sleep on, the bedding is light, just a sheet, and the pillows are difficult to get comfortable on, having said that, we were ok, (this is not a boutique hotel, so don't expect high end double thick duck feather pillows), the thing you may wish to note, is that at night its noisy, we overheard quite a lot of noise from other parts of the hotel above us, and across the balcony, shouting and loud noise, again, I was not that bothered,after all I was tired at night, and whether its noisy or not, I could sleep through anything, if you are trying to get your head down and its noisy, as Athens is at night, then you may wish to look at another location.

The hotel is located and tucked away behind a small Greek Antiquity church, literally when you arrive the taxi drives around it to the main hotel entrance door, inside its modern, nice bar to the right, and restaurant which serves your morning breakfast, and evening meals if you want them, we didn't try the hotel restaurant in the evenings, but we did have breakfast in the morning, the breakfast we thought was really nice, lots of cold cuts, breads, cheeses, Greek style and continental, also scrambled egg, sausage, bacon, and cold fruit juices, and a great Doue Egberts coffee machine, serving nice coffee, you couldn't complain at the breakfast, its good, take our word for it.

Throughout our stay the staff at reception were really great in telling us how to get to the underground metro system, the only problem is, its about a 15 minute walk to the nearest metro stop which is Ambelopki, you turn right out of hotel, and then right again, up a narrow street to the main thoroughfare at the top, (there is a nice small supermarket on the right as you walk up if you want drinks, cokes, sandwiches, chocolates or other things for your room and - more importantly its cheap), if you want to eat out at night, and want a nice cheap meal for two, we found a Greek eatery on the right on the corner, we ate Greek 3 course dinner for about 25 Euros, the food was good, Halloumi, Slouvaki, local foods, and drinks, the guy there speaks english as well, which helps, its open plan, and the breeze comes in from the street, just down from the hotel on the right, is a small square, and plenty of shops, etc, and restos's for you to check out, your spoilt for choice.

The location of the hotel is in an area which is safe, near the American Embassy, its about 10 minutes on the tube to Syntagma Square, and the Akropolis, Monistaraki, etc, I don't think you would be disappointed here at the Airotel Alexandros, just be aware this is a value hotel, and you get what you pay for, if you want Boutique hotels, this is not the place, if you want a good solid location, with good staff, friendly, great breakfast, a clean serviced room with a decent shower, then you can't ask for better, best of luck, I hope if you stay you enjoy it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Airotel Alexandros? Share your experiences!