“Nice hotel, wonderful location” 4 of 5 stars

Austria Hotel
7 Mousson Street, Athens 11742, Greece   |
Ranked #203 of 324 hotels in Athens
Colorado
“Nice hotel, wonderful location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

The Hotel Austria is located outside Plaka but convenient to it. Also convenient to the hills around Athens. If you request a room in the back, you get a wonderful view of the city.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Charlottesville, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

This hotel, whatever its other faults, has a perfect location. We sat on the rooftop patio at dusk and watched the Parthenon as the lights around it went on. I got some gorgeous photos. We walked to the Acropolis from the hotel and discovered some of the little shops and restaurants that you miss on a guided tour.

Our room was very small, but the double bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean. I use a CPAP machine, and the day staff was very helpful in finding an extension cord so that I could use it that night. The continental breakfast buffet is served in a little area in the main lobby. In that same lobby area there is a bar and a tv area, with comfy leather couches and chairs. We also had dinner there, in a small room downstairs. While it wasn't haute cuisine, the spaghetti was excellent. As other reviewers have mentioned, the elevator is kind of scary.

All in all, though, I think this was one of the most enjoyable stays of our trip.

• Stayed June 2009
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

Happy to have stayed in this hotel.
Great rate and location, clean and well kept rooms, the view from the room was great.Nice breakfast, and amazingly helpful,friendly receptionist ( hi Haris ! )

There was only one "Turn-Off" . The discouraged and rude receptionist who took night shifts. He said his name was Tanasis. First,he doesn't smile. Second, Tanasis can speak English but he doesn't like explaining too much. He'll smirk at you when he has to explain something. All this without getting up from his desk 5 feet away or looking up. This receptionist is the main reason to stay away from this hotel.Not helpful at all.The hotel is ok but this reception needs to be explained how to deal with customers.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

We stayed one night at Austria hotel with 26 students during a part of our trip in the Greek islands aboard the Crystal cruise ship. We had just gotten off the boat and had spent an incredible 8 days being waited on by incredible staff and ended up at this hotel. Well.....the step down was steep! I will talk about the strong points, because there are some, and the bad points of this hotel.

I will start with the positive....You have an incredible view of the Acropole. I had a private balcony that had a direct view of it. The hotel also has a terrace on the second floor that has an excellent view of the city. You can walk to an area of town that has many shops and restaurants so you don't have to bother with public transportation and we felt also safe in the evening. The hotel was quiet. The rooms were spacious and the beds were clean.

On the negative side...it is a hotel that hosts groups of teenage students so you have to be prepared to be surrounded by hords of teenagers away from home. The breakfast and dinner were included in the price but the food was horrible! They offered us spaghetti for dinner and it was horrible. We went to a restaurant to eat gyros afterwards since it was horrible. The breakfast was also horrible. My shower was broken so I had to take mine in my colleague's room. The rooms are not luxurious by any means. They seem clean but not spotless.

It fit the bill since we were with a group of teenage students but I would never stay there on my own. If you want to save money and have a convenient location, it is perfect for you but don't expect too much.

• Stayed April 2009
São Paulo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

It was our first time in Athens ( me and my wife ), and we had made a reservation to the Acropolis View Hotel, thru ReservationsEurope website. But, arriving there We've been told there's never been a reservation... and ReservationsEurope service told us they had changed our reservation to AUSTRIA Hotel.... and there we went... In summary: it's an old building, far from the metro station. The elevator is horrible ( small / no internal door ). The bathroom is horrible also... ugly, dirty, too small shower place and basin. Very poor breakfast. Very unpleaseant service. Please, do a favor to yourself, don't stay there.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Front desk & Room & Breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
bam478
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

This place was a last resort for me...I had to stay here because my family booked the hotel and paid for it so out of common courtesy i but my tounge and stayed anyway. my fisrt night i was in a room that had no telephone and the tv did not work either. The entire room was outdated and dirty! the bathroom was just plain discusting! it had a very uncomfortable shaped tub that forced you to sit down to shower. the ceiling had peiling paint and mildew and mold was growing on the walls. I finally was moved to the room next door since it had a working phone line. The room itself was a bit roomier and it had a nicer patio (allthough the view from the patio was terrible!) This bathroom was even worse! it had a small corner shower stall with mildew growing all over the shower curtain! water sprayed everywhere in the bathroom and soaked the entire floor after each shower. The toilet did not flush very well (i will leave your imagination to picture that) and the water tasted terrible!!! DO NOT DRINK THE WATER OR USE IT TO BRUSH YOUR TEETH, USE BOTTLED WATER ONLY!!! the safe did not work forcing my to load my suitcase and keep it locked everyday when i went out. they had wireless internet access in the lobby (could only get a signal in one corner of the lobby) but the signal was terribly weak! I was there for 5 nights and will never return! the room was 65 euros a night and for what i got was a ripoff!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

we considered this hotel intially, when planning in the States. But the reviews turned us off. Then we found ourselves at the bus station, needing a hotel for that night. With our other choices full, we remembered this one. The room decor was stylish, and clearly recently renovated. The bathroom however, was not renovated, as evident by the mold growing on the ceiling, wall, and shower walls. The location is very close to the acropolis. A great location for exploring that area and Plaka. Its also a simple walk to the metro, yet its all uphill, and up stairs. About ten minutes perhaps. Caution to those backpackers, who are not mountain climbers!

Stayed September 2007
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Austria Hotel? Share your experiences!