“AVOID” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #196 of 324 Hotels in Athens
Greece
“AVOID”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

We booked a triple room at this affordable 'family friendly' hotel during peak season. Thank God the wifi was excellent because we checked in, used the wifi and checked out within an hour and went to another hotel. The cigarette holed carpet was filthy. The mattresses on the bed were torn. I didn't even want to think about what stained the walls in the room let alone the bathroom and bath itself. We asked for a refund for the second night we had booked and paid for. No luck. We were a family of four - asked for the beds to be put together so our young children (1 and 3) could sleep with us. That was impossible as the beds were of different shape and size. There were no block out blinds so who knows what time we would have woken up. and we were given two hand towels for a family of four!!!!AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL (except the wifi).

Room Tip: unless you want to pay by the hour - for adult services - dont go there
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Greek first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

As most people will say, you get what you pay for.

Well with my stay I got a place that was easily accesible by public transport in the later hours of the night, a friendly staff member who was helpful and a room that was not what I remembered from the pictures.

The shower had no wall mount so water went everywhere, there was very limited tv channels, the beds felt dirty along with the floor but I just used the extra bed sheets to make it feel fresh and clean. The wifi was fast and free and the air con worked a treat! A lack of powerpoints in the room meant I had to unplug the fridge to charge my phone.

It was very easy to get to the main sites from this hotel but I do not urge anyone to walk the streets unless there is daylight.

I would only recommend this place to groups who have a very limited time in Athens and that are on a budget as you get wifi, air con, bed to sleep, public transport and easy access to the sites.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Not many positives from this "Hotel". The pictures of the hotel make it look a lot nicer than it actually is. The neighbourhood was extremely rough and run down and very dirty. Walking down the streets does not feel safe whatsoever. It is quite close to the centre but still a fair walk away. Our room wasn't very clean, very cold air conditioning and just a sheet on the bed. The bathroom started to flood after 2 showers, and continued to flood until we left. It was covered in water, as was the carpet outside and the hallway outside the room. Nobody offered us a different room and we left a night early as we couldn't stand it any longer. The staff were the only redeeming quality, the receptionist when we checked in was very helpful. Overall one star is probably too much

Room Tip: Don't choose any rooms
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hobart
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I had this placed booked for the first two nights in Athens and the last night. The first two I thought the room was just ok for a place to put your head down. Noisy as hell but after a 30 hr trip you will do anything for sleep. Its a few blocks away from the center of Athens so the location is not two bad. However one wrong turn on the way home and I was face to face with a few junkies cooking up in doorways. If I was a female traveler on my own I wouldn't like to navigate these few blocks, especially at night. The last night I pulled up to stay there I was given a room on the top floor. AC was broken. One loo for the whole floor. Shower was alive. Room wasn't able to be locked from the balcony properly so went and booked somewhere else. Spend a few extra $$ and go somewhere else. I didn't spend much extra for a lot better.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Delhi, Delhi, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I was fooled into choosing it cos of location and price but will not advice anyone else to go for this compromise. It was dirty, the neighborhood was quite bad, full of dustbins. Beds were uncomfortable, linen was dirty and insufficient. AC and Tv didnt function. Metro station was far off so bringing luggage wasnt easy..

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This bad experience would not be repeated again. The hotel is only polshit. If you want your blood to be sucked you can simply go there and suffer the night. The horrible bugs make your trip the worst. For me, I could not sleep in the room so I went down to the reciption area and slept on the red sofa. My neck is stitched stings. Desgusting really.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

The hotel was nice and the price was good. Free coffee and tea anytime, confortable lobby and nice bedrooms. The only bad thing I could say about the hotel is the area is located in. Is one of the worst streets in the area and I would not recommend to go alone during the night.
Anyway, there is police in the door of the hotel almost the whole day taking care that nothing happens. During the day there is not much poblem on walking by.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Soho Hotel? Share your experiences!