“Not so dangerous as supposed!” 4 of 5 stars

Soho Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Menandrou 25, Athens 10552, Greece   |
Ranked #162 of 324 hotels in Athens
Moscow
“Not so dangerous as supposed!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

After reading reviews I felt afraid that staying at Soho could be dangerous - not at all.
Facts are the following: neighborhood is not really good, but in the same building there is a police station or something (a lot of policemen all the time), I would not recommend to walk in the night, but during daytime everything was ok. Rooms are simple, but shared bathroom was clean and good. The real advantage is the lobby on the 1 floor, where anytime one can drink free coffee and tea. Staff was helpful, no cleaning the room during the stay.

Therefore, do not expect much, but price is low, beds are comfortable, wifi works. What else for several nights stay?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

126 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Greek first
Seal Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I am a 200 pound guy that ran away from this hotel. I was afraid to go out at nite. When you are carrying money and credit cards it makes you think twice. Saw the Acropolis and ran out of Athens. Hotel was basic/ok, but see Epidavros, Delphi, METEORA. One day in Athens. 900 mile drive in Peloponnese was perfect.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We booked this hotel far in advance and before staying here we read the more recent reviews and were freaked out by some of the comments about the area. However, when we arrived we found that it was not that bad--Yes, there is a lot of graffiti (same is true all over Athens!) and there were a bunch of people and police officers hanging around the area. (The Greek economy hasn't been doing that well lately and this area has many immigrants who unfortunately cannot find work now, so they hang out: It doesn't mean that they are hanging around to attack you! Just be smart!) When we stayed at the hotel, there were several families with young children staying there and no one seemed too concerned about safety--the building itself is secure and the nights were quiet. We encountered no problems with the locals while walking to the Acropolis or the Omonia metro stop during the day, but it would still be wise to get back to the hotel before dark. (BTW--The Acropolis is not far, but it was difficult locating the entrance because there was little signage. Better to ask for directions once you get close!) Our room on the sixth floor was basic, but served our needs--hot water, wifi, AC, and fridge all worked well--no complaints. We originally planned to visit Athens on a one-day stopover before heading to Turkey, but our flight changed and we ended up having two full days. One day was sufficient to see the city sights and since it was so hot we decided to catch a ferry to the closest Greek island we could find, Aegina. Very easy to get to Aegina on your own--Just take the metro from Omonia to the end of the green line to Pireus Port; head to gate E8 area; buy a 9.50 € one-way ferry ticket (Hellenic Seaways and Nova are two examples of ferry companies. It's a little over 1-hour ride. Note the frequent return times. First ferry leaves Pireus at or before 8am daily); then you can walk around Aegina town, take a swim, take a local bus to see some ruins, eat some fresh grilled fish, buy some pistachios, and get back to the Soho Hotel before dark--that's what we did!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kraljevo, Serbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I have spent four nights in Soho hotel. The greatest thing about it is that it is only 5 minutes of walking away from Monastiraki. And from Monastiraki, you can get to any important location in 5 or 10 minutes . The second great thing is the price. And don't worry, it is cheap but you get very nice room with bathroom, clean towels, and free wifi. The only thing that concerned me only during the first day was environment of the hotel, which looked pretty unsafe to me. After only one day, you realize that, even it is different from the Plaka for example, it is pretty safe to go around, especially since the police station is just next to hotel and there are patrols on every 50 meters. And I was shopping in some of the Asian groceries next to the hotel, and they were all pleasant and friendly. So, don't worry and feel free to stay in Soho hotel :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Tampere
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Very good budget hotel, easy to reach from the port or airport. The main sights are within a walking distance; Psirri/Plaka for dinner even closer. We had a big and clean room with a bath tub in the 8th floor. The room was even given to us early with no extra charge as we arrived in the morning. AC worked and the fridge was a bonus. No complaints on my part. The quality of the hotel was better than I expected with the price we paid. Wifi didn't work all the time, but didn't matter.

The area is a little seedy, but on the other hand a taxi from Monastiraki taking you to the front door costs 4€ if you don't feel safe walking.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We were two families traveling with children ages 10 -15 and found this a good budget option for an overnight in Athens. The rooms are basic and clean enough. There is air conditioning, a fridge and wi-fi in the rooms. What more do you need? Free coffee and tea is available in the lobby. The area is not the greatest but we did not mind as we were a group and did not come in too late to experience what others may have. Our walk from the hotel to the Acropolis was a pleasant one.

This is a good choice for back packers and those traveling on a smaller budget.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Oxford, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I'm having a hard time rating this hotel because it's not the best but it doesn't claim to be (and I don't need it to be). Since I'm only in Athens for around 12 hours, I decided to book a budget hotel. I found one in a good price range and reviews weren't atrocious. I knew the area was a bit dicey but I just need somewhere to sleep for the night. I found the hotel with minimal problems but definitely walked by some shady business. I also have mixed feelings as there was a bunch of police officers outside the hotel when I got here but it's clean inside and the lady that checked me in was nice. The style of room I reserved wasn't available so I got upgraded to a bigger room that could sleep 3 people and has a full bath. The hotel is more like a hostel as there are lots of young people and international people. Overall, I'm glad I'm only staying here one night but it suits it's purpose just fine.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Soho Hotel? Share your experiences!