“Not bad!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #202 of 323 Hotels in Athens
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Not bad!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We booked this hotel far in advance and before staying here we read the more recent reviews and were freaked out by some of the comments about the area. However, when we arrived we found that it was not that bad--Yes, there is a lot of graffiti (same is true all over Athens!) and there were a bunch of people and police officers hanging around the area. (The Greek economy hasn't been doing that well lately and this area has many immigrants who unfortunately cannot find work now, so they hang out: It doesn't mean that they are hanging around to attack you! Just be smart!) When we stayed at the hotel, there were several families with young children staying there and no one seemed too concerned about safety--the building itself is secure and the nights were quiet. We encountered no problems with the locals while walking to the Acropolis or the Omonia metro stop during the day, but it would still be wise to get back to the hotel before dark. (BTW--The Acropolis is not far, but it was difficult locating the entrance because there was little signage. Better to ask for directions once you get close!) Our room on the sixth floor was basic, but served our needs--hot water, wifi, AC, and fridge all worked well--no complaints. We originally planned to visit Athens on a one-day stopover before heading to Turkey, but our flight changed and we ended up having two full days. One day was sufficient to see the city sights and since it was so hot we decided to catch a ferry to the closest Greek island we could find, Aegina. Very easy to get to Aegina on your own--Just take the metro from Omonia to the end of the green line to Pireus Port; head to gate E8 area; buy a 9.50 € one-way ferry ticket (Hellenic Seaways and Nova are two examples of ferry companies. It's a little over 1-hour ride. Note the frequent return times. First ferry leaves Pireus at or before 8am daily); then you can walk around Aegina town, take a swim, take a local bus to see some ruins, eat some fresh grilled fish, buy some pistachios, and get back to the Soho Hotel before dark--that's what we did!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Greek first
Kraljevo, Serbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I have spent four nights in Soho hotel. The greatest thing about it is that it is only 5 minutes of walking away from Monastiraki. And from Monastiraki, you can get to any important location in 5 or 10 minutes . The second great thing is the price. And don't worry, it is cheap but you get very nice room with bathroom, clean towels, and free wifi. The only thing that concerned me only during the first day was environment of the hotel, which looked pretty unsafe to me. After only one day, you realize that, even it is different from the Plaka for example, it is pretty safe to go around, especially since the police station is just next to hotel and there are patrols on every 50 meters. And I was shopping in some of the Asian groceries next to the hotel, and they were all pleasant and friendly. So, don't worry and feel free to stay in Soho hotel :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Tampere
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Very good budget hotel, easy to reach from the port or airport. The main sights are within a walking distance; Psirri/Plaka for dinner even closer. We had a big and clean room with a bath tub in the 8th floor. The room was even given to us early with no extra charge as we arrived in the morning. AC worked and the fridge was a bonus. No complaints on my part. The quality of the hotel was better than I expected with the price we paid. Wifi didn't work all the time, but didn't matter.

The area is a little seedy, but on the other hand a taxi from Monastiraki taking you to the front door costs 4€ if you don't feel safe walking.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We were two families traveling with children ages 10 -15 and found this a good budget option for an overnight in Athens. The rooms are basic and clean enough. There is air conditioning, a fridge and wi-fi in the rooms. What more do you need? Free coffee and tea is available in the lobby. The area is not the greatest but we did not mind as we were a group and did not come in too late to experience what others may have. Our walk from the hotel to the Acropolis was a pleasant one.

This is a good choice for back packers and those traveling on a smaller budget.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Oxford, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I'm having a hard time rating this hotel because it's not the best but it doesn't claim to be (and I don't need it to be). Since I'm only in Athens for around 12 hours, I decided to book a budget hotel. I found one in a good price range and reviews weren't atrocious. I knew the area was a bit dicey but I just need somewhere to sleep for the night. I found the hotel with minimal problems but definitely walked by some shady business. I also have mixed feelings as there was a bunch of police officers outside the hotel when I got here but it's clean inside and the lady that checked me in was nice. The style of room I reserved wasn't available so I got upgraded to a bigger room that could sleep 3 people and has a full bath. The hotel is more like a hostel as there are lots of young people and international people. Overall, I'm glad I'm only staying here one night but it suits it's purpose just fine.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I have been to over 40 countries, many of them quite dangerous and third world, and I have never experienced anywhere more dangerous than the location of this hostel. When I exited the metro as per the instructions given by the hotel, I was stunned to see one of the most incredibly terrible sights of my life. The buildings looked like there had been a bombing. Graffiti was everywhere, buildings boarded up, homeless everywhere. Numerous filthy people around the plaza either lying on the ground completely passed out or quite possibly dead dead, the ones who were conscious were either injecting hard drugs, moaning, screaming, or getting up to attack and try to rob me. It looked like a scene from a zombie movie, about 10-15 people were walking around but luckily they were too high to function properly. They were moaning and wailing, and when they saw me with my backpack they all began to swarm towards me to try to grab at my bag and pockets. Lucky they were too drugged up and I was able to pull away, move to the centre of the street and run down the middle of the street. This was barely after dark, around 8pm. There were even cops on the street but they just laughed, watched, and flirted with the numerous sickly-looking prostitutes as I ran. I did not dare to go out after dark again while I was in Athens. Even during the day, the neighbourhood was filthy beyond belief (including directly in front of the hotel, which has no lock on the front door and a dark, dirty stairwell up to the second floor lobby). I ran back even during the day, heart pounding, and was shocked and relieved to reach the hotel safe in the evening, even after I was pickpocketed on the way back.

The hotel is barely that, you get a filthy room with carpet I wouldn't dare touch with bare feet or socks. I did on accident once, and it was wet and sticky, dark spots and gum everywhere. The bed was a simple, extremely uncomfortable bed with filthy yellowish and brown stained and scratchy linens which were supposed to be white. The only good thing was air conditioning, which was extremely loud and barely functional. The remote was covered in sticky stains. The hotel has not been painted in years and I tried to drink a beer before going back and fall asleep ASAP so I didn't happen to glance at the walls or ceiling.

The toilet was filthy, toilet did not function correctly and I dreaded having to press the disgusting flush valve. The shower did not have a wall mount, making it near impossible to shower, no doubt so the stingy owner could save on water bills. Cockroaches came in and out through many holes in the broken tile walls.

Through the paper thin walls, you can hear everything going on in the adjacent rooms. It seems to be a popular place to bring back prostitutes from the street outside. Not nice considering you're sleeping in a bed where this had likely occurred. Walking by even in the evening, you could tell that they were diseased with sores up their arms and legs as well as major herpes outbreaks on their face. I slept on a sleeping bag on the bed, sobbing and wishing I had the money to move to a different hotel. You could also hear rats moving through the walls, squeaking and moving around throughout the day and night, and smell the feces at all times.

I witnessed and helped save a young asian girl travelling by herself who was being molested by the owner at reception, while trying to get some of the free coffee service, which tasted like gasoline. I saw one guy try to ask very politely for directions from the owner, but he was lying down resting, and started yelling at the guy, 'I'm not a bus stop, go figure out yourself' and then start screaming at him in Greek. On my checkout day, I asked to leave my bag in the storage room. The owner sighed and said, fine I can open the room for you. He opened a filthy dusty back room and took my backpack (laptop inside) and quite literally threw it from the door against the back wall so he didn't have to enter the room. He stomped away sighing to the reception, and then I approached him saying, "sorry, is it possible to store my passport in the safe" (like i have done in every other hotel. most owners say, "of course, i would be happy to". This guy said, "why didnt you just put it in your bag. Now i have to open the room up for you again? !$(!$( you". I said, "no sorry i didnt want to put it in my bag i was wondering if you had a safe or a locked box or something". He started screaming at the top of his lungs in greek and then said, fine if you really want to bother me. give it to me and i'll put it in the room with the bags" I said "never mind, its ok. I'll just keep it." thinking the extremely unsafe street was safer than dealing with this guy. Then I said, "you really shouldn't yell at your guests!" and i went to go sit down and look at my iphone map before leaving, since it isnt safe to get my phone out on the street. "He stormed over to me, hit me backhand on the shoulder extremely hard, and SCREAMED "what do you say to me! you tell me how to run my own hostel!" at this point my bag was locked up back and I didn't know what to do but the guy (THE OWNER!!!) was pushing me and threatening me physically while screaming in Greek so I just ran out onto the street. I thought I had lost my bag, but I managed to sneak back into the hostel later and stole it out while he was taking a nap (luggage storage not safe)

I saw the negative reviews, and the cheap price, and thought I would be ok. But it was the WORST experience of my life. Not just while travelling, of my life. I will never go back to Athens because of this hotel. I did not enjoy my stay in Athens because of this hotel. I was lucky to get out of there alive and with most of my belongings intact.

I had stayed in a hostel for one night the week before while in transit to istanbul, and it was safe, clean, and similar in price. DO NOT STAY HERE>

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

The area is horrible. We had special police outside the hotel with must be 20 something men they rounded up. It really felt unsafe in the area. The room had a very bad smell to it very bad and the underwear of the previous guests was still hanging in the bathroom. Broken glass in the hallway to our room. If you can avoid it please do.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Soho Hotel? Share your experiences!