“Great Value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Palm Beach, Florida
“Great Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great local hotel withing walking distance to great restaurants, shops and local culture.
The rooms are very clean and hotel staff very helpful in any matter. We would stay here
again when we travel to Greece which is such a wonderful country.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
  • Greek first
Verdi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This place had wonderful breakfasts each day and a wonderful view from the rooftop restaurant, which doubles as their gathering place for wi-fi at night. My only complaint was our difficulty with getting the thermostat to work properly. Since we arrived in the middle of the night, we toughed it out the first night. The second night someone came to the room and helped us get it right. Do take the Metro to the Acropoli Station, or take it to Syntagma and then take a taxi on to the hotel. When you first arrive, it's a bit confusing to find your way around the small streets to the hotel, but as you leave, you'll know just where you are . A short walk to the Acropolis; the Acropolis Museum and of course the PLAKA......

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Palm Desert, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Had to cancel this hotel as my daughter's flight was cancelled and she was stranded in London. I booked this hotel via Expedia and although the cancellation deadline had passed, the hotel authorized a full refund. I was very impressed with how this was handled and will be staying here in May when I visit my daughter who is studying there this semester.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Seal Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed here for four days prior to a cruise and could not have been more pleased. Before we left, I read a review that said to take the train to the Syntagma station. That works, but when you're hot, tired, and hauling a suitcase a better to choice is the Acropoli station which is less than 100 yards from the hotel!! The lobby was small but elegant. The staff, from the front desk to the doorman to the maids were extremely friendly and helpful (and they all spoke excellent English). The small elevator was an adventure but functional. The room was medium size and beautifully decorated as well as spotless. We had a room on the front facing the busy street and the Temple of Zeus. The Temple is lit at night and the view spectacular - you always knew you were in Athens. The street was only noisy if the windows were open. Since we were there in warm September, we kept the balcony door mostly closed and the doors were high quality and shut out most of the sound. It was not an issue at all, even for my light-sleeping husband. The included breakfast was a hearty American style buffet but included Greek and other European foods as well. The Plaka was just down the block and there were probably 100 restaurants and bars within a mile. My only objection was that wifi was not available for free when we were there - apparently that has changed but there was free wifi everywhere else so it was not a big deal. The charming staff made up a sack breakfast for us since we left very early in the morning without us even asking. They were also very knowledgeable and eager to help with any questions. I would (and have) recommended this hotel to everyone and will certainly stay there again if I return to Athens.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I decided to write this review although I lodged in this hotel in december 2010, so things could have changed a bit since then. Nevertheless, I found this place charming, clean and very well located. I decided to stay there for a week because of other travelers good reviews and I could realize they were right. The rooms are comfortable and clean. I enjoyed the chocolate kisses the housekeepers let after cleaning. This is a small but strong detail. I also appreciate a hotel which includes breakfast with room fee, and the meals were for me delightful. I got a room with Parthenon view. Splendid! Every night I slept with the curtains fully opened. It was a kind of historic charm in that view... The only thing I apologize is the elevator (as usual in european buildings): too narrow (I guess it could fit at most 4 people without luggage...). The clerks were very helpful and they provided internet post near the bar (a plus!). I really recommend this hotel both for bussiness stays or vacations (is located at walking distance from Syntagma and Acropolis). Stay there and enjoy Athens!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with Parthenon view (6+ floor). You will enjoy it!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Wodonga, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Getting there: from the airport we took the x95 which you can catch right outside the airport exit. Tickets are 5 Euros each way and will go to Syntagma station. This is not the closest station to the hotel; Acropoli is but we chose to walk from Syntagma. From where the bus drops you off, just follow the same road and Athens Gate is on the same side and is approximately 10mins walk with heavy luggage.

Rooms: upon arrival we were upgraded to a standard room from a budget room which was lovely. This was low season though and we paid 400 euros for 5 nights which included breakfast. The rooms were modern with minor decorations of Greek scenes in black and white. The bathroom was big enough with all the needed amenities which were replaced daily. As we were staying 5 days we hung up towels but they were still replaced daily which is great. Each day after sightseeing we came back to a clean room with crisply made bed which was heavenly. There was adequate heating system too as we were there during Winter and it snowed!

Internet: Free wifi is available ONLY on the roof garden where you have breakfast. But it is available and it is FREE. You just need to ask staff for password so we brought our iPads up there every morning during breakfast. Also there are 2 PC for guests to use with free Internet down in the lobby which were always available when I checked.

Breakfast: very good variety including eggs, bacon, sausages, cereal, yoghurt, fruit, pastries etc. you will not be disappointed and staff made me a hot chocolate every morning.

Location: the Acropolis is 5 mins walk as is the Acropolis museum. In this area you are spoilt for choice with restaurants and cafes everywhere. Prices were aimed at tourists but its a touristy area. Plaka is around 7 min walk and Acropoli station is 3 mins walk down the road. There are also many souvenir shops around as well. Overall the hotel is central and location is perfect.

Small gripe: the only gripe and its a minor one that's not entirely the hotels fault but I thought I would mention it anyway. We were staying on the 5th floor of 7 floors, so pretty high up and twice, on Wednesday and Thursday at 3:30am I was woken by what I assume is the garbage truck outside the window. It was a loud cranking sound that seemed to last for ages. On the 2nd time; I couldn't get back to sleep so maybe if this happens regularly; the hotel could look into sound proof windows?

Overall, yes I would come back for all the great things mentioned above.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up away from the garbage collection side!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have stayed here twice before embarking on a cruise. It is a fantastic location and the rooftop restaurant has excellent views of the Acropolis and nearby neighbourhood as well as a decent eveniing menu and good breakfast menu. Good for a walk around nearby local shops and restaurants too. Would recommend

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Athens Gate Hotel? Share your experiences!