“Once again, doesn't fail to please” 5 of 5 stars
Review of New Hotel

Save Saved
You added New Hotel to your Saves list
New Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Filellinon Street | Syntagma Square, Athens 10557, Greece (Formerly Olympic Palace Hotel)   |
Special Offer
Book through our website
Ranked #4 of 324 hotels in Athens
sydney
“Once again, doesn't fail to please”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

10 months later, I stayed once more at this hotel, and experienced the high standard of accommodation. It's a treat to stay in an environment where every corner of the place has attention to design -- well, it is one of the Design Hotels!

It's quirky, no doubt too arty for the more conservative traveller. However, the beds and linen are incredibly comfortable , service levels very attentive yet not stuffy or cold, and in particular cleanliness is exceptional - perhaps too clean at times as I stayed for quite a few days and felt they were too quick to change sheets!

The staff are so friendly and considerate , when I woke up hoarse from being at a very smoky Athens bar one night, they made me a camomile with orange peel and honey pot of tea... as a home away from home, you can't do better than that!

A couple of points - it is situated on a busy street so if you are a light sleeper you should request not to have a room facing the main road at the front. I tried the spa - if you are after a very therapeutic massage this may be too much on the "relaxing" rather than "remedial" side. I wouldn't be going for it again, but I think it may be in keeping with the French, as opposed to Swedish, tradition of massage.

There was one glitch, when very low level cigarette smell started to emerge after the aircon had been off for some time, eg while I was out. This was on non-smoking floor. I liaised with staff, and it was investigated thoroughly - probably some previous guest had illegally smoked. I was encouraged to keep air-conditioning on at all times, and offered another room, while I declined, because the latter did the trick.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side, or on the side, are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
YesHotels, Manager at New Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us such a detailed review. We are pleased that you enjoyed our hospitality as well as our design and services. On behalf of our staff would like to thank you for your preference towards New Hotel and it will be our pleasure to welcome you back on your next vacation to Athens.

655 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Greek first
Foster City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The New Hotel in Athens has a great location - just a couple of blocks from Syntagma (which is easily reachable by metro and busses) on one side while a couple of blocks from Plaka on the other. If you are in average shape, you should be able to reach the Acropolis area by foot from the hotel making your way through beautiful Plaka but be ready to climb a few stairs. The lobby area always had some local sweets as well as a drink or two in the evenings - a sweetish Macedonian wine was our favorite! The breakfast served in the mornings was the best part of our stay and with regards to taste, we have rarely had breakfast this amazingly tasty and flavorful. Beside a couple of varieties of Greek cheeses and olives and the cold cuts, the yogurt and this sausage + mushroom preparation was simply amazing! Mr. George (forgot his last name) and a lady who was the main hostess were both a pleasure to converse with in the dining area every morning. During turn-down, they served some really good chocolates. The only nit I have is the Wifi. While free, the strength of coverage/availability was very low in our room except for one corner near the door. The hotel had a funky decor while the rooms were average sized. We had a decent angular view of the Acropolis and a partial view of the Parthenon from our balcony in 601. Overall, I recommend this place, especially for the location and food.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
YesHotels, Manager at New Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing with us such a detailed review as well as your appreciative comments. It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our hospitality, location, design and our selection of our homemade breakfast at our restaurant New Taste. We shall share your encouraging comments with the rest of our staff and we will be more than happy to accommodate you again on your next visit in Athens.
Nicosia, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I had too little time at New Hotel - I had an overnight layover for a long-haul flight, and on a recommendation of a friend in Cyprus, I treated myself. The staff at the reception was warm and friendly - think spa - and efficient.
I am an artist - and for me, one of the most special things about New Hotel is the decor. There is a planned decision behind each of the furnishings and visual details of the place; it is a very interesting place to stay. My friend did not tell me that this hotel is one of Dakis Joannou's labors of love but it shows, and should be a consideration when booking - save time to just be in the hotel.
Finally, the restaurant and the lovely hostess Foteini who saw me and immediately recommended the rib-eye "it is really good tonight". I was traveling alone, eating alone - but suddenly found myself delightfully at the table with my steak - and I needed NO company! It was delicious, and accompanied by their recommended chianti. As soon as I arrived at my room after my meal the phone rang, it was the staff wondering if they could deliver hot tea - Foteini knew I had been ill.
I left by 5am, and wish I could have at least stayed to see the hotel in the morning light. Next time!

Room Tip: look on the website, choose a room that looks interesting.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your kind review. It is appreciating comments like yours that encourage us to offer our outmost to our valuable guests and keep up our motivation. The hotel team and myself would like to thank you and it will be our pleasure to accommodate you again in the near future !
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights. Very good central location within 10 to 15 mins walk of all attractions. However, if you looking for an atmospheric neighbourhood with a more local feel, we would recommend areas of Psiri/ Thisio. Rooms were spotless with quirky design features and level of service was outstanding. All in all, a good option if you're looking for a trusty central city hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing New Hotel during your vacation in Athens. We are glad that you enjoyed our hospitality and it will be our pleasure to accommodate you again in the near future.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The New Hotel is a gem in a old part of the city. Starting the day at breakfast with the impeccable New Taste restaurant service makes you feel like you have arrived. Coming back after a hard day's sight-seeing is like finding an oasis.

The front-desk staff and door man are always helpful and informed. Since we arrived in off-season we asked for a free upgrade and got larger room. Room service stopped at 12am midnight on Friday night so we decided to see what was outside. The front-desk pointed us in the direction of the 24/7 corner store since I only wanted beer. But next to it is The Art Cafe down the street which is very lively and a smokers' paradise as the owner smokes behind the bar. The food is sandwiches and salads but is very homely and tasty. The local beer and wine isn't bad either!

The New Hotel rooms are a little small, but are very well designed. The lighting takes a minute to explore. There are 2 sets of window blinds - blackout and privacy blinds. The sliding patio door keeps the busy street noise to a murmur and gives you access to 2 chairs on the patio. The shower door also becomes the toilet door. Wow! The jagged mirror that separates the bedroom from the sink basin and wardrobe is cool. And nothing aches of over-indulgent design or cheap retro chic like thestandard (on Sunset in Los Angeles.) In fact, the room layout with the glass shower room is a little like The Sanderson (London) that is designed by Phillipe Starck.

We arriving at night from the airport via the Metro/train which is 10+ stops; for both of us 14 euros. When you arrive Syntagma Square which is 5 mins walk from the hotel it's a bit off-putting. It's busy but a little run down. (It reminds me of the Opera House area of downtown Mexico City. A little run down, but with lots of shops surrounding it.) But since you don't have your bearings yet (and the stores may be closed) be prepared to the walk past graffiti and 2-3 narrow roads. Otherwise you could get a taxi, but the hotel is literally across the square (to the left of McDs) and 2 small blocks. It does look shady at night, but there's private security all around the square.

Room Tip: Since we arrived in off-season we asked for a free upgrade and got larger room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us such a detailed review as well as your kind comments. It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our hospitality, location and our services. On behalf of our staff and myself would like to thank you once again and it will be our pleasure to accommodate you again on your next visit in Athens.
Bahrain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Made the reservation with much apprehensions as it was the first visit to Athens (Honestly went by tripadvisor rating) but the staff at the check in was so friendly and helpful that all the apprehensions vanished. Had a wonderful stay. The room was, shall I say quite funky. Metro is nearby and so is Syntagma square. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
YesHotels, Manager at New Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing New Hotel during your stay in Athens. We are glad that you enjoyed our hospitality as well as our location and services. Thank you and it will be our pleasure to welcome you back on your next visit to Athens.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

In late October before we boarded on Marina the next day to cruise Mediterranean, my husband and I stayed one night at the New Hotel in Athens. The stay was short, however, the memory lasts, the memory of the people, the food, the services, the decor, and the location.

While we checked in a madam at the front desk noticed in the passport that it was my husband's birth day that day. "Happy birthday!" She greeted warmly. We quickly put down our luggage in our room, and walked out to sightsee. When we came back in the evening we saw a beautiful birthday cake on the table. And fruits and two sets of stylish plates and forks, a candle and matches. Wow, a special Welcome!

The next morning we had breakfrast at New Taste, the hotel's restuarant. It is modern, yet comfortable, elegant and cozy. It had plenty of selection of food and fruits; a waitress served fresh, hot coffee. We took a time at our breakfast that morning as we enjoyed very much the ambience, the coffee, the food, and the piece of quiet under the soft morning sun light shone through a large screened window by our table. On our way out we had a nice chat with the hostess, Fotini.

In the late afternoon, we checked out. Right at that moment, the rain started. The front desk called taxi for us. In less than five minutes a cab pulled over; the concierge opened an umbrella and escorted us to the cab.

Reluctantly, we left all this behind, heading out to Piraeus.

Ava & Steven
Seattle, USA

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
YesHotels, Manager at New Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest,
The team of New Hotel and myself would like to thank you for choosing New Hotel during your stay in Athens. Our aim is to offer comfort and hospitality to all our guests and make New a” home –away- from- home- experience” . It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our hospitality on your special day. On behalf of our staff we thank you once more and we will be delighted to accommodate you again on your next visit in Athens.