“Good taste and smiling service so rare in Athens.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of New Hotel

Save Saved
You added New Hotel to your Saves list
New Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Filellinon Street | Syntagma Square, Athens 10557, Greece (Formerly Olympic Palace Hotel)   |
Ranked #6 of 325 Hotels in Athens
GreenLeadersGold level
“Good taste and smiling service so rare in Athens.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011 via mobile

Unusual creative design hotel without fake compositions.
Smiling and fairly good service. Three types of decors for the rooms. "Postcard room" a bit too simple but great bathroom fixtures and fancy furniture. Quality/price=fantastic. Impressive fitness room but uninteresting spa. Forget the basement and it's spa but rush to this hotel if you dislike gold and marble fake decor.

• Stayed August 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Twickenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Wow, I would definitely stay here again and definitely recommend it people with 100% confidence. The service was impeccable, professional and friendly. A very small mix-up of rooms was sorted out extremely quickly and in the nicest way, and this certainly didn't affect my stay - if anything it further proved to me the professionalism and customer focus of the team.

The hotel and my room was extremely clean, spacious, airy and quirky. The design of the hotel is worth a visit alone, I won't spoil it too much, but there are some very interesting pieces made from lamps and old bits of furniture (recycled from the previous hotel I believe?). I would actually like to know more about the individual pieces and the overall design of the hotel, so please write something soon!!

My room was excellent. I stayed in a studio room. It had a balcony with chairs and table overlooking the hills and a church. My room was on the main Filellinon St, but the thick glazed windows shut off most of the road noise. The electronic blinds and blackout curtains were neat and tidy (as opposed to thick curtains). Bathroom was big - I liked the fact that the whole bathroom was a room in itself, but also the toilet and shower were also separate rooms too within. Shower brilliant - large shower head. The designers seem to have thought alot about best use of space.

Breakfast was my next highlight. Breakfast was not a huge and fussy affair, I would say it was just enough choice (freshly baked pastries, breads, eggs/bacon/sausages, cold meats and cheeses, fruits and yoghurts). You could order more if you needed to (from a menu), but this was plenty and nicely displayed. The service with breakfast was a lovely touch - greeted and seated by a host, then served pastries, breads and drinks at your table. One of the highlights for me were the freshly squeezed (pink grapefruit) juices to order and awesome cappuccinos.

The area and location is perfect for visiting Athens. I'm pleased I chose here, as opposed to some other hotels I was looking at. Why? Central spot, only a couple of minutes walk from Syntagma Sq, therefore only few mins walk from bus and metro to the airport. Next to Plaka (the 'old' town), close to the Acropolis (15 min walk) and central to access many other Athens attractions. The area felt safe to walk around at night.

On a side, Syntagma Sq is also the start of the tourist sightseeing buses and small train - I am usually averse to these kinds of sightseeing, but the little 6euro 'hop on hop off train on wheels' was excellent value and takes you up to the Acropolis, around the small streets in Plaka (which the big coaches can't do) and past many key sights. Great for a first-timer orientation exercise. It was also running after dark, so a very cheap Athens by Night tour too. Athens is very easy to get around on foot, the local buses and underground too. So, the Syntagma Sq made getting around even easier.

By the time I left, I felt as though I knew the staff and they knew me. I was certainly made to feel welcome. Everyone was cheery, friendly, professional and passionate about their jobs. My experience at New hotel was excellent - as I think you can tell. Credit to everyone in the team and I really hope I have a chance to come back and stay again. Please don't change!!

Room Tip: My room was on busy road. Most of the road noise was cut out, but if you're sensitive, you might...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
YesHotels, Manager at New Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Dear Guest,
We really appreciate your kind comments!
Our aim is to offer comfort and hospitality to all our guests and make New “a home away from home” experience.
Following to your request we are pleased to provide you with more information on the design concept of our hotel. New hotel was designed by the Campana brothers. The aim was to restore and yet recycle the existing furniture always taking into account the Greek culture. The “Favela” columns at the lobby area are covered with narrow strips of wood that was reclaimed from the previous hotel. The whole concept of recycling also applies in most of the furniture. We will be more than happy to provide you with more detailed information via email.
It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in the future.
Nicosia, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

I booked the hotel through a friend that strongly recommended it. The room we got was really spacious and with a very good price. The balcony faces the Filleninon street great view. The thing we loved most is the fact that it is brand new and everything smells minty fresh. Could not get out of the bed... very comfortable. One of the few hotels we have stayed that we enjoyed the restaurant so much. We recommend you should never skip the breakfast and if you have time enjoy one of your meals. Great burgers... We will surely go back soon. Thank you Athens...

Room Tip: love the room with decoration with the blue eyes
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
YesHotels, Manager at New Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your kind comments. We are pleased that New hotel met your expectations. New Taste restaurant offers fresh, high quality and mostly organic products.
We will be happy to accommodate you and your friends again in the near future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

I stayed at the New Hotel for two nights in late August. I was initially worried that the hotel might not have worked out kinks in service as it was brand new, but couldn't have been more wrong. Staff was ultra-friendly and accommodating of my request to add a person to the room, provide late check-out, etc. The hotel is cool / stylish and the room was very comfortable -- loved the balconies and the black-out shades. The breakfast is excellent -- especially great coffee and pastries. And the location is perfect - right at the entrance to Plaka and a 2-minute walk to Syntagma. I'm no expert on Athens hotels, but I can't imagine a better experience!

Only issue: wifi was slow and service was spotty.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
YesHotels, Manager at New Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience during your stay at New Hotel.
Our staff aims to provide hospitality comfort and excellent service in all sections. Considering your remarks on our Hotel's wi fi system we already took the appropriate actions.
Thank you for your helpful comments and we are looking forward to welcome you back at New Hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011 via mobile

Spent a day and a half in Athens and two nights in the New Hotel in transit from Santorini on my honeymoon. New Hotel was recommended the GM of Esperas while staying in Santorini and I am really glad he made this rec. Very cool hotel interior. Our room was one of the most unique and cool I have ever stayed in. All amenities/design were unlike anything I have seen before. The fact my wife and I were on our honeymoon must have come up in conversation as when we came back to the hotel after touring the city there was a chilled bottle of champagne with strawberries and four perfect dipping sides - totally unexpected and very thoughtful. The staff made great recommendations during our stay and they could not have been more professional. The service was top notch. They coordinated taxis at odd hours of the morning for flights. The only thing I would say negatively is that the free wireless Internet is spotty and frustrating. The name "New Hotel" sounds generic from an american perspective and doesn't do this place justice. Hopefully, no looks over it because of the name as it was a truly great stay!

• Stayed August 2011
YesHotels, Manager at New Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your kind comments. Our aim is offer comfort and hospitality to all our guests. We are glad that you enjoyed our Honeymoon treatment and we wish you all the happiness together. Your comments are very valuable to us and helps us to keep our high standards.
Limassol, Cyprus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

New Hotel has some striking design features. In the lobby, surfaces are covered in gold and burgundy/brown tones, with structural elements covered with pieces of wood furniture and paneling that is apparently recycled from the previous incarnation of the hotel.

Each room has a distinct decor in a Greek theme (Greek shadow theater, or pictures of Athens from the 1950s). There's a neat chair with an extremely tall ladder back, and the bed is very comfortable. On the city side of the 6th floor, the decently-sized balcony affords a view of Mt. Lykavitos, which is lit at night. The bathroom is also unique, with a wooden floor instead of tiles, golden fixtures, and Kiehl products for toiletries.

The breakfast spread is excellent, ranging from cheeses, quality cold cuts (jamon Iberico), fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, to fresh pastries (different varieties of croissants, breads, and cakes), to freshly squeezed juices (made to order) and caffeinated drinks (not limited to filter coffee). The staff at the restaurant is incredibly attentive and professional.

The hotel is centrally located in Athens, within minutes of walking to Plaka, Monastiraki, and Syntagma (where the nearest metro stop is), though keep in mind that the neighborhood itself does not have a nightlife to speak of and is dead at night. However, this was not a serious drawback, given the easy access to other more lively areas.

Despite these positive points, we did have two issues that marred our stay at the hotel.

1) The hotel allegedly has free wifi. However, there seemed to be issues with their network, as we could jump on the wifi only in one of the two rooms we had booked (the more centrally located room—facing toward the elevator/stairs—was fine, but the adjacent and more peripherally located room had no access). We contacted the hotel's IT person over the phone but he couldn't resolve the problem--he said that if we had laptops (instead of our phones and tablets) it would be easier, though this would have defeated our aims of traveling light.

Additionally, the process of joining the free wifi network was very user-unfriendly. Each device requires inputting a code given at the reception desk, which is valid for only 24 hours (rather than the entire length of your stay). So, for the 7 internet-capable devices we had (as 4 guests for 3 nights), we would've needed 21 codes during our 3 night stay (if the internet in the second room were indeed functional). The wifi does work marginally better in the lobby area but you can imagine how tedious it becomes to have to go downstairs every time you wish to check your email, etc. In any case, after several attempts, the receptionist did admit that the hotel was aware of similar wifi issues in neighboring rooms on the 6th floor (something to be aware of if you end up on a higher floor).

As we were a tech-oriented group that was reliant on wifi for checking travel guides as well as business emailing, the lack of internet access was extremely frustrating and would be a dealbreaker if we were to revisit Athens. It made us wonder whether they were intentionally trying to make wifi access difficult and unreliable so that customers would opt for the €14/day speedier, premium connection option that was subtly pushed in our direction. Bear in mind, downloads speeds were not our issue. We simply wanted to get on the internet at all. In a mid-range to high-end “design” hotel, internet access is a vital utility and should be free, reliable, and involve a user-friendly process, especially for iPhone/iPad users (who presumably constitute a boutique hotel's target clientele).

2) Housekeeping service was at several points quite intrusive. The hotel has turndown service, which in one room we declined by turning on the "Do not disturb" light. However, this was ignored by the housemaid (more than once) who came in as we were on the balcony or in the bathroom, and even though we told her we didn't need her services, she laughed and continued with her task. Perhaps there was a language barrier issue present, but this made for an awkward experience whereby our privacy was violated by an (albeit harmless) intruder fixing our bed and yet again leaving treats on the covers. On another occasion, when we had just returned to our room after breakfast, a male housekeeper entered the room effectively without knocking (he knocked for one beat and did not wait for a response). In both occasions, things were awkward enough, but imagine if guests were actually having a private moment! Although staff at the hotel, in general, is polite and attentive, the management should address the issue of guests' privacy with housekeeping. Knock three times, wait, and repeat is the standard hotel industry protocol.

On the whole, this hotel has a lot of potential and sports some great features, but if the issues I described are chronic and not part of its growing pains as a brand new establishment, I wouldn't return nor would I recommend this hotel for like-minded travelers.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

What a beautiful and chic design they have come up with -- in this perfect location. It is modern, stylish, comfortable, with all the amenities and then some. I wished we had stayed longer. There are subtle touches of Greece woven into the boutique design. Rooms differ somewhat. Chairs are uniquely cushioned and designed. The lobby walls are collages. The gym looked terrific. The bathrooms are splendid -- down to the drainage system. The restaurant is set up for business and pleasure and the food is nuevo Greek-continental. The breakfast croissants compete with Languedoc, and there were French macarons -- of all wonderful things to bump into. This was "new Greece." Congratulations. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
YesHotels, Manager at New Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
Dear Guest,
We really appreciate your kind review!
Campana Brothers took inspirations from traditional Greek themes and with the help of students from University of Thessaly, wove these themes in to the 79 rooms and public spaces of the Hotel. They kept some of the original features of the building, such as black marble staircase and integrated their handmade chairs and lamps.
We hope to have the pleasure to accommodate you again in New Hotel!
Hotel Manager

Been to New Hotel? Share your experiences!