“A nice hotel and great location” 3 of 5 stars

Royal Olympic Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Athanasiou Diakou 28-34, Athens 11743, Greece   |
Ranked #75 of 328 Hotels in Athens
Orange County
“A nice hotel and great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Royal Olympic's location can't be beat. It's close to the PLAKA, Acropolis and other attractions in Athens. I rated this hotel average because some of the rooms aren't up to western standards. I was on a recent tour and stayed at this hotel 3 times. The second time and third after having to complain about the room was good. There was so much noise from the traffic the 1st time around so I made sure they know about my expectations when I was there the second time. The third time they put me in a room were the air conditioner did not work. I went down to the front desk to let them know and the lady was quite rude. She made it seem that I didn't know how an air conditioner worked. I told her that if the room had not cooled down by the time I got back I expected to change to another room. It didn't and I did and the room was on the inside looking at the pool with an air conditioner that worked.

Room Tip: I recommend to stay inside and the pool side NOT on the street side. There is too much noise from t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Wonderful restaurant on 7th floor with brilliant views over the Acropolis and Athens. Great food, lovely staff. Rooms are luxurious. Perfectly located to walk to key tourist spots. Breakfast was included in the room rate, which was a bonus.

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

The hotel is lovely, very grand designs. We arrived late at night and were told we’d been given a free upgrade which was exciting, unfortunately we couldn’t figure out how it was an upgrade when we got to the room! It was twin beds with a view of the noisy street, but didn’t bother to ask to change it.

The food is good quality, although they have 3 different menus however you can’t swap where you have them. The restaurant menu can only be chosen in the restaurant, bar menu in the bar area, room service menu only in the room. Didn’t make it to the restaurant as too expensive so stuck with the bar menu, it was cheaper with large portions (we’d recommend sharing the club sandwich between two). Weirdly the room service menu was much bigger than either of the other two menus, but didn’t want to order from it as the main pull of the hotel is the amazing views from the top. The breakfast buffet was fine, good enough choice and quality. We definitely saw an increase in people in the hotel close to the weekend though, which meant a more manic time getting breakfast as everyone is trying to get to the food and good tables at once.

We thought there was a spa in the hotel, they offer a wide range of treatments but there’s only one treatment room apparently, which was disappointing. The pool looked nice, but was freezing cold

Overall good hotel, great views and great location, would stay again (but ask for a better view from the room!)

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a view!
Orange, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Our room had a fantastic view; the room was very quiet with triple glazing. A great surprise was to receive the Complimentary Wine and it was delicious relaxing back in our room enjoying the view. The room and bathroom were very spacious. The location is great very close to the major sites. Disappointments were:- We went to the bar on the roof for drinks and a light snack for dinner, we enjoyed the view and a full bottle of wine before our food order arrived! After enquiring for the third time about our food, they said they didn’t forget us but the kitchen was busy, I can’t see how it took an hour an half to cook a simple snack. The bathrooms are beautiful but the grout is mouldy around the top and floor in the shower. The breakfast was a major disappointment, so crowded and busy. The food was OK but I expect it’s hard to feed such a huge crowd. On our second morning we went to breakfast at 7am, much better.

Room Tip: Go for the Athenian Panorama Room it's worth it.
cudgen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

What a beautiful foyer. Rooms are comfortable and very clean. Meals are very expensive and you will find better value at nearby restaurants Location is excellent for visiting Acroplis nd The Temple of Zeus. Only fault would be the wifi. Slow and only one device permitted at any one time

• Stayed October 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The location of this hotel is amazing, right in the heart of the city walking distance from all the major tourist "must see" locations.

In the airport I asked the information desk for the quickest way to this hotel, taxi or metro. I was expecting them to say taxi but they didn't, they told me to take the metro. It was already heading towards 9pm and dark outside and I'm think this is a little mad, as I am a women alone in a strange city, but I have to say, I felt very safe and the metro was easy to understand. From the airport to get to this hotel you do need to make one change of metro line, but once out of the Metro system it is less than a 5 minute walk to the hotel. Really happy I did take the metro.

The room I had faced inwards to the pool area which was perfectly fine. The room itself was of a good standard. I have read some review that state that this hotel was dated. Think this comes down to the fact they are still using sheets and blankets rather than a duvet. Also the bathrooms seem to be from the 90's but I think they can get away without updating this hotel for another few years. The lifts are little slow and on the small side, but the staircases are marble.

The roof terrace has the most amazing view, in the morning breakfast which was included in my room rate was served here. The breakfast was of a far standard, buffet style. If I had to pay separately for this I would have eaten elsewhere, but I think you can say that for pretty much every hotel.

At night the roof terrace has a bar, which again takes advantage of the stunning views of the city, we had one nice and friendly barman and a very grumpy barman, with the grumpy barman we ordered several bottles of wine which were just left on the table, with glasses, no attempt was made to serve the wine. This happened not just once but each time, on different days. A few of us headed to bar for a late drink one evening and we were informed again by the grumpy barman that the bar was only open for another 15 mins, which was fine, but the general impression was that of, really, I don't want you in my bar at this time of the evening. The same barman rolled his eyes on a number of occasions, I have to say I had the impression he was not liking his job, because we were not being demanding in anyway, we ordered our drinks at the bar and sat down quietly.

Logging on to the WiFi takes a few tries, and it is very slow.

The pool is a little on the cold side and 3.5m deep at one end, which is a lot for small hotel pool, so if you bring young children take care.

In summary this is a good hotel, most of the staff are friendly, the location couldn't be better. If you need city centre hotel close to the sites for a weekend away, or for a short business trip this hotel offers everything you need.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Just returned from a very exhausting weekend in Athens. Arrived early hours of the morning 04.00am pleased to say our room was ready, very large room with all the amenities you would expect from a 5* hotel. Just one problem the hotel does not have tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms, WHY! i am sorry but it is standard practice in european hotels nowadays to provide these facilities escpecially in a 5* hotel. Having said that the roof top retaurant/bar made up for the lack of facilities, the views were to die for! avery good base to explore Athens everything very close at hand. Just to add if anyone is thinking of going up Lycabatteus Hill take a taxi to the tram station (8e) well worth it, the panoramic view from the top is magnificent, as is the little church (trams run on the hour and half hour), then walk down (lots and lots of steps to the national gardens

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends