“Nice overall” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #65 of 325 Hotels in Athens
London
“Nice overall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

It is difficult reviewing this hotel without being bias on the fact that Athens is facing a terrible time. The staff definitely are doing their best to keep everyone entertained and making sure we all have a good time. I stayed with my mom in a suite with a balcony which was really big. They have a nice pool and the restaurant serves great food ( no other options around the area so I was happy that the hotel had good food)
A big hello to the lady in the gift shop for being so friendly

Room Tip: Their occupancy is not very big so worth asking for a cheeky upgrade
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Tzikas, General Manager at Novotel Athenes, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for your feedback further your stay at the Novotel Athens hotel.
You enjoyed the hotel and the services provided and your review is the hotel's personnel reward. Thank you!
We look forward receiving you again.
Sincerely, E. Tzikas, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Malta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

First of all, I will say outright that the hotel is basically sound. Its clean, the staff can be (in general) pleasant and helpful enough, the rooms are quite large and everything works although it is clearly starting to show its age (the elevators creak, the showers leak water down the feed-pipe rather than through the shower head, the wooden frames around bathroom doors is starting to crack). There was a balcony (not in all rooms). There is even an Xbox in the lobby and a pool on the roof. Breakfast is about average - nothing exotic but edible at least. I paid €62 a night and stayed for 8 nights. This was mid-October and the weather was still good.

As for the location and the neighbourhood, it is true that the area is not very nice, to put it mildly. However it is safe enough, especially if you always use the Larissa underground station and avoid Omonia. Once there you have access to practically anywhere in Athens at a very reasonable price (around €14 for a 7 day unlimited use ticket which also apparently covers trams and buses). And by the way a taxi from the airport takes around 40 minutes and costs €35 during the day and €55 at night but there are other ways to get to and from the hotel at even cheaper prices.

Now for the bad news. Do beware if you plan to turn up at the hotel in the early hours of the morning. I had advised that I would be there at 4.30 am and had been told - in writing - that I might have to wait till 7 am, which did not seem too bad. I thought that Novotel valued it's clients and that I would be pampered from the time I got there to the time I left. Big mistake!

The reality was that when I arrived there was no plan for me at all. Rather than greet me with a smile, the hotel receptionist did not even seem to know I was expected. After some hesitation and when I said that I was certainly not about to go out and walk the streets at that hour, I was invited to sit on a sofa in the lobby - in full view of everyone - and offered coffee - which never actually came.

On inquiring, I was provided with the (free) password for internet access and after some use of my tablet I dozed off. I was later woken up not by some gentle Greek hotel representative with a tray in hand, but by the noise of people having breakfast. To my shame I realised that half the hotel must have passed by me as I sat there on the sofa fast asleep.

Still, by then it was 7 am so I assumed my room would be ready as promised. Wrong! I was told it would be ready at 8.30 am! By then I was desperate and starving, so I asked if I could at least have breakfast. At which point I was asked whether I wanted the €6 or the €12 one! Incredible.

Finally I managed to get checked in and made my way to the room. I undressed and got into bed - only to find that there was no sheet between myself and the quilt cover. Now I have to say that I have been to other hotels over the last couple of months(specifically in Spain and Italy, and also in a guest house in UK) and all of these had sheets that one could use instead of the quilt cover (or in combination with it). I thus got dressed again and went out into the corridor, found a cleaner and asked her to put a sheet on the bed. Then - and only then - did I manage to get some rest.

After an enjoyable day in Athens, I had a late night. At 4 am I was awakened by a very bright flashing light in the room. On investigating, it turned out to be coming from the fridge's LED lights. Since it was too bright to endure and not wishing to get electrocuted, I covered it with a towel as best I could and tried to sleep, but then realised the traffic noise was too loud. So that was my second screwed night. Yay for Novotel - not.

In the morning I gently asked for a replacement room away from the main road. The helpful receptionist gave me one a few doors away, but this turned out to be facing a generator which made even more noise than the traffic. On once again approaching the receptionist, I was allocated a third room. This time all was well. It was away from the street, the generator and the lifts too.

I had no more major problems after that, just a few minor ones. Here we go. From two sets of hand towels, at one point I was down to one. This was not really a problem as I was alone in a double room, but it seemed a little strange just the same. I just hope I was not blamed for the missing towels!

The shower in two of the rooms I occupied (I never used the third one) consistently leaked water from the pipe so the pressure was a little less than it could have been.

The PAY TV did not work - although it is advertised in the brochures. At least there was the History Channel to see.. As for the internet, it is pathetically slow. So slow that you can forget all about using You Tube for instance. Of course you could pay to have faster internet if you wanted to.. but it should have been clearer up front what was actually meant by free wi-fi in all rooms..

I do not wish to condemn the hotel outright. Far from it. yes it is a bit mediocre, and in my opinion not really very deserving of 4 star rating. The staff is nice enough - although the manager seems to be totally out of the picture where guests are concerned. Think Schettino and the Concordia - maybe he was having lunch whilst Novotel Athens hit the rocks?

But - sarcastic jokes apart - on the whole, you can get a good night's sleep (if you work at it) and a good breakfast. And it is well-located and not that expensive either.

Unfortunately however, these people have never heard of the concept of a "moment of truth" as defined by Jan Carlzon of Scandinavian Airlines (Google it).

Dear Novotel, the real benchmark for service quality is not how you treat the 95% of clients who fit your own work practice, but rather how to manage that 5% who need a little extra attention and who will then - if you treat them right - become your most fervent evangelists!

What would it have cost Novotel to offer me a complementary breakfast? Or to bring in a cleaner a little earlier to keep their word and give me the room at 7am?

The fact is that everyone can boast of being a good sailor in calm weather, but where is Novotel in a storm?

Bottom line - in my opinion Novotel Athens has been judged on the exception and found lacking.

So dear travellers, let me just sum up here. If you do decide to go to Novotel Athens, thats fine BUT just make sure you get a well-located room, ask for a sheet (if you want it), check that the shower works well, count the towels daily, check your fridge (and maybe take a dark cloth), take a movie to see on your laptop or tablet, and - whatever else you do - for heaven's sake don't go there before 8.30 am.

Room Tip: Avoid the elevators, and don't take a room opposite the main road.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your review with us.
We took into great consideration your remarks and we apologize for not having met all your expectations. Therefore, we strive to provide to our guests the best of us and we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again and to demonstrate you our outmost attention.
Sincerely Yours, E. Tzikas, General Manager
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

For a Novotel Hotel this hotel is average.
The standard double room is pretty small and claustrophobic. If the windows could open (they have been jammed closed) it would make a difference.
Clean room and the bed was comfortable which is all you really need when traveling and not spending too much time in a hotel.
The pool area was always jam packed so never had an opportunity to use it in the week that i stayed there.
Free Buffet Breakfast was average too.
Location not too bad, about 15-20 min walk to central Athens or nearest Metro station

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
Your comments are important for us since they allow to improve our services.
We hope to welcome you again upon your next trip in Athens.
Thessaloniki
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

The biggest problem about this hotel is the surrounding area, which - although conveniently placed within the city center - in the past few years has become quite dodgy. As some of my local friends put it, "you take a taxi to the hotel's door, walk in and do NOT walk around. If you fancy a walk, you take a taxi from the hotel's door to a safer place".

Stayed there on business for one night. The room was quite spacious, it had a separate living room and two flat screen TV sets (one in the living room, one in the bedroom). Unfortunately the TV set in the bedroom did not work.

There was also a small refrigerator with a transparent glass door and an LED light which was also meant to serve as a night-time light - and that did not work either, it kept flashing all the time, which eventually made me pull the fridge's plug off the wall.

I also noticed that, when bathroom ventilator worked, it drew a light sewage smell into the bathroom.

Because I only stayed there for one night, I didn't mind that much and didn't make a fuss about it, but I got the impression of poor maintenance.

On the other hand, the hotel as whole has good facilities, friendly staff and breakfast quality beyond average.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Tzikas, General Manager at Novotel Athenes, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Hotel Guest,
We would like to thank you for having choosing the Novotel Athens hotel.
We took into great consideration your comments, and we would like to reassure you that the maintenance department will check every single detail you mentioned.
You especially enjoyed the hotel's facilities and the staff's friendliness and we thank you for your positive feedback.
We hope to welcome you again at the Novotel Athens hotel and to meet all your expectations.
Larnaka, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We have stayed for three nights with my wife and our little boy and it was the best choice for the reason we wanted it. We have used the hotel as bed and breakfast only, as we spent our time in Athens outside the hotel, and it was a great choice for our need. The premises of the hotel and our room were clean and we couldn't ask for anything more. Also, because we have rented a car it was very convenient the indoor free parking of the hotel. Last but not least for a good day start, the breakfast was very good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for having prefered the Novotel Athens for your stay.
You enjoyed our accommodation and we thank you for your positive comments.
We look forward receiving you again at the Novotel Athens hotel.
Sincerely, E. Tzikas, General Manager.
Liverpool, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stayed one night whilst en route to a sailing flotilla holiday. The Superior Family room I was given was spacious, air conditioned and clean. A much better choice than a Gatwick Airport hotel.

After checking out I was able to leave my bags in a secure luggage room and do the tourist bit of Acropolis, Ancient Agora. I finished off with the National Archaeological Museum a few minutes walk away from the hotel.

I ate both in the hotel and in a cafe overlooking a nearby square, both were good quality.

Larissa Metro & Suburban rail station was only 12 minutes walk away for an easy return journey to the airport and meeting up with the Gatwick flyees.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Tzikas, General Manager at Novotel Athenes, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Hotel Guest, We would like to thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Novotel Athens hotel. You enjoyed your stay and we thank you for your positive feedback. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again. Sincerely, E. Tzikas, General Manager
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights but not continuously (went to Hydra Island for one night in between), and the hotel let us kept our luggage in their storage room, which was helpful. The staff was very friendly. Breakfast was good. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I'm rating this hotel average because it's just what you would expect from a 4-star hotel. We had no complaints, but nothing that we felt especially impressed with either.

As for the location, the neighborhood did make me feel a bit uncomfortable. It was a bit dark at night, and the street was dirty. It took us about 15 min to walk to the closest metro station, so it wasn't too bad. Despite feeling uncomfortable, we didn't have problems walking in the neighborhood.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Novotel Athenes? Share your experiences!