“Lovely view of the Acropolis at sunset” 4 of 5 stars

Saint George Lycabettus
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Kleomenous Street, Athens 10675, Greece   |
Ranked #172 of 325 hotels in Athens
Conwy, United Kingdom
“Lovely view of the Acropolis at sunset”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Acropolis facing rooms are at a premium. Rooms are reasonable size - not so large as the Hilton, for example. Comfortable; however the walls are thin and noise travels at night. An inner door is provided to keep out corridor noise from the sleeping area. WiFi is quite expensive, as is the bar on the 6th floor.

Room Tip: Various types of 'Acropolis view'. Mine had the view, but you had to go on the balcony and l...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
lycabettus, Owner at Saint George Lycabettus, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our hotel.
Our award winning restaurant “La Suite Lounge” on the 6th floor also offers magnificent views of the city of Athens from breakfast time (check our Greek/Mediterranean flavors) as well as throughout the day for light lunched and gourmet dining. Please note that the hotel provides free WiFi access in all the public areas of the hotel.
We would be glad to welcome you more times and take advantage of our latest offers.

639 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Greek first
Thessaloniki, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

+Location is great near Kolonaki. My room had a FANTASTIC view!!! Breakfast was great, room was spacious and clean. Polite staff at the front desk and the housekeeping.Only stayed for two nights so did not use all amenities, but I would recommend for a city break.
- Expensive rate for the use of the wifi & the mini bar.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our hotel.
The hotel is located in one of the trendiest and most elegant districts of Athens , just walking distance from the city center and boasts spectacular views of the Athens and the Acropolis.
Please noter that the hotel provides free internet access at the public areas of the hotel.
All our staff and the management of the hotel aim to offer our guest the best possible service and standards ensuring a memorable stay.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Look, this is neither a 5-star nor a boutique hotel. The rooms are at best average, they charge insane amounts of money for the food, their facilities are pathetic, their breakfast is barely acceptable - I could go on and on. Yes, it has great location but that's about it. This is barely a 3-star hotel masquerading as something much more. Save your money and go somewhere else.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
lycabettus, Owner at Saint George Lycabettus, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear User Phace P,
Despite the fact that the characterization of your comments could be considered unfair at best, we would like to share our views on your review. We strongly disagree with your comments about our rates and would also like to inform you that all our rates and prices throughout the hotel are highly competitive with all the other 5 star hotels in the center of Athens. Our location and service standards are both unique features which most guests take into consideration and highly appreciate .
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

It's one hell of a walk from the city. DIstance wise, not far, but expect the hard climb up the steep roads every evening especially if you are not terribly fit or after a big day of being on your feet.
Never stayed in a hotel where i couldnt control in climate control in my room. Just because the heaters in the hotel were on meant that I could not turn on the cool function in my room's aircond.
The rooftop restaurant had great views of the Acropolis. Food was average for a "5 star" hotel. I think this hotel is more worthy of a 3.5 at most 4 star rating.
Large beds were good but pillows were flat. I ended up with 6 pillows on my bed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thessaloniki, Greece
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Four years ago, I spent a night at the hotel.. I was astonished by two distinct things. One was the scenery of the Acropolis and secondly by the relative very good standards of the hotel in general. Four years after that all said above is history except the Acropolis view. It's worth saying that the hotel charges enormous amounts of money -especially on food- just because of its location. The room did not feel clean and it seemed to me that some kind of renovation took place, not to enhance the quality of the rooms, but to take out valuable furniture and decorative objects of the rooms. Finally, some of the reception stuff are extremely rude. In general, pick another choice..

• Stayed December 2012
Whitmore Lake, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My wife and I began a three week European vacation at the St George. It could not have offered a better intro. The hospitality was wonderful. The rooms clean and spacious. The view over the city to the Acropolis was breathtaking at night and day. A great experience.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GREECE&CYPRUS
1,048 helpful votes 1,048 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The St. George Lycabettus hotel has a unique location right in the luxury area of Kolonaki centre, -the trendiest and most elegant district of Athens. If you happen to be out walking there is a possibility to come across different celebrities. The hotel is in a quiet neighbourhood away from noise and protest march or collision courses that unfortunately take place from time to time in the centre of Athens. It is on the slope of the Lycabettus hill where one can have a pleasant walk to the top at the chapel of St. George for the most stunning views of the City of Athens. There are different pathways all around the peripheral zone with an easy access for an enjoyable stroll.

The hotel is one of those family businesses with a long history behind and if I am not mistaken, the 4th generation overtaking the business the last 11 years. In fact the family owes the Hotel Apartment Rentals in Mykonos, Paris and St. Moritz as well.

I have stayed in this hotel several times in the past and I can tell it is one of my favourite in Athens. Attention is given to the guest and this is appreciated and it is one of the reasons why many return. Upon arrival we were made welcomed as always and it did not take us long to check in and have our bags taken upstairs.

Room: Our suite #407 on the 4th floor was this time overlooking the Acropolis again but from a much better angle than the suite we had last year. It was spacious, very comfortable and spotlessly clean. The soft colour of the walls was matching well with the furniture and the huge Queen bed added to the charm and style of the suite. I appreciated the espresso coffee machine, however I was kind of disappointed when I noticed that I had to pay 3 euros for each coffee. However, the usual coffee facilities of a hot water teapot with sachets of coffee and tea are free so I asked the waitress to bring me one such.
I truly appreciated the treat we had in the room upon arrival –a platter of seasonal fruit and a bottle of water. The balcony was not that big but I cannot complain as it was comfortable enough to fit two chairs and a table. The view of the hill of the Acropolis could clearly be seen even if I was lying in bed and I found this amazing. I had the most stunning photos taken from our suite the two days we were there, not to mention the many photos I had with some of the most beautiful sunsets ever!
The long desk-like stand was comfortable and I can tell that I spent quite a time out there working on my laptop. There was a mini bar on the side just below the TV set and a drawer and at the entrance corridor there was a very spacious wardrobe with ample of space, shelves drawers and a mirror. I always appreciate a second door in the room because it shuts out possible noise from the corridor. I have to mention also that slippers and robes and a safe are provided.

Bathroom: The bathroom again was much bigger and nicer than the one we had the year before. It seemed brand new, very clean and elegant. I cannot understand why some guests complain about the toilet paper stand which is hanging in crystal-like chain. I find this clever and stylish. It is obvious that many people are capricious and they cannot appreciate things and they do it out of habit and not because there is any reason. Towels were bright white, thick and had a pleasant smell of freshness.
There was a kit with the usual things one expects to find but don’t expect to find a toothbrush or a comb (the comb is useless anyway) but there was a shoe polish kit which I don’t usually find in other hotels! I found the plastic cap a bit small so you can ask to be brought another one if you also find that it does not fit you. The ladies at the housekeeping are very kind and I had mine in seconds. I noticed that there was only one shampoo and one gel for two persons and a body lotion but again I asked and I was brought some. This request was answered in less than 5 minutes and the lady was really polite. For her and the rest of the staff she told me there was not trouble at all.

As a Guide Writer I am a person who travels a lot and during my trips I have to spend many days in different hotels each month. I know how hotels work, and I learnt to appreciate things but at the same time be demanding when I have to. I always urge people to kindly ask for extra toiletries if they need any instead of complaining afterwards when they get home. Let the people in charge know if something goes wrong immediately instead of spoiling your holidays with things that can surely be fixed. I am sure the management will do anything possible to meet the needs of their guests.

I was amazed with the progress of room service compared to other years. It was indeed a pleasant surprise seeing a lady from the housekeeping knocking the door to check if we need anything late in the afternoon. She had a huge smile and handed me two jelly candies and a blue card in gold letters. It shows the moon in gold and several stars and there is the word “good night” in 9 different languages! What a nice treat this is! It shows that somebody does care and surely this is the management.

Breakfast: Again I noticed the great difference and progress in the rich American Breakfast buffet this year. I could not believe it! Besides the nice presentation everything was fresh. I am not going to start mentioning everything but I can say that there was nothing missing. Apart from the buffet there was a side corner table very nicely set with all kinds of delicacies ideal for those who have a sweet tooth. All kinds of home-made desserts were out there, -pastry sweets with pistachio and nuts in different variations, “bougatsa” and baklava, “Kataifi” even some traditional sweets from Crete “kaltsounia” different cakes and all sorts of other goodies.

Staff: They are a bunch of professionals indeed. There are people who work for more than 25 years here and I met several of them. They are proud of working here, they respect the owners and guests and this is I am sure one of the reasons why the hotel stands out among other hotels in Athens. These people make the difference and it shows!

The Restaurant: Le Grand Balcon on the 6th floor is not only popular with guests who stay in the hotel but it is well known as a Signature Restaurant in Athens. As it gets dark it is transformed to a magic place to be. The lights of the city shine brightly all over and the highlight is the Acropolis which seems so close. In reality, the whole floor is a multifunctional spot operating as a Sophisticated Gourmet restaurant with exceptional dishes, a Dancing hall and occasionally a Conference centre. We had dinner one of the two nights which we found amazing but I have a separate review exclusively on the restaurant so I won’t expand in writing more comments here.

If you appreciate fine art you will find a great collection of inspiring and breathtaking works of art and paintings which decorate the interior corridors. I was so amazed and absorbed by the beautiful collection having a feeling that I was walking through an art gallery until I came across the S G Art Gallery found at the mezzanine of the hotel.

General: Out of curiosity I asked to be shown a couple of rooms on the ground floor. I wanted to check what the budget rooms look like. I had read negative comments like being very narrow, no balcony, and being old. I did not see what people described at all. The rooms look all right, they might not have a balcony but they are spacious, clean and yes…elegant. Instead of a balcony there is a huge glass window. The room might not be facing the Acropolis or a street sometimes but both room and bathroom have all the necessary amenities for a comfortable stay. They surely cost less.

Wi Fi internet connection is free on the terrace if I am not mistaken but if you want to have the connection in your room the rate is 6euros an hour, 18 euros for 24 hours and if you want it for 2 days the cost comes to 25.

I don’t recommend this hotel for people who have walking problems because the hotel is located on a slope, however there are several taxis waiting by the taxi-rank and they are around throughout the day and night. I don’t think there would be a problem if you afford to move by taxi.

We had an exceptional stay and I highly recommend it. I am sure if you stay here once you will want to return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
lycabettus, Owner at Saint George Lycabettus, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our hotel.
The hotel is located in one of the trendiest and elegant districts of Athens , just walking distance from the city center and boasts spectacular views of the Athens and the Acropolis.
Our award winning restaurant “La Suite Lounge” on the 6th floor also offers magnificent views of the city of Athens from breakfast time as well as throughout the day for light lunched and gourmet dining.

Been to Saint George Lycabettus? Share your experiences!