“A Gem in Athens, -a Steady Value Hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Kleomenous Street, Athens 10675, Greece   |
Ranked #172 of 325 hotels in Athens
GREECE&CYPRUS
1,048 helpful votes 1,048 helpful votes
“A Gem in Athens, -a Steady Value Hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The St. George Lycabettus hotel has a unique location right in the luxury area of Kolonaki centre, -the trendiest and most elegant district of Athens. If you happen to be out walking there is a possibility to come across different celebrities. The hotel is in a quiet neighbourhood away from noise and protest march or collision courses that unfortunately take place from time to time in the centre of Athens. It is on the slope of the Lycabettus hill where one can have a pleasant walk to the top at the chapel of St. George for the most stunning views of the City of Athens. There are different pathways all around the peripheral zone with an easy access for an enjoyable stroll.

The hotel is one of those family businesses with a long history behind and if I am not mistaken, the 4th generation overtaking the business the last 11 years. In fact the family owes the Hotel Apartment Rentals in Mykonos, Paris and St. Moritz as well.

I have stayed in this hotel several times in the past and I can tell it is one of my favourite in Athens. Attention is given to the guest and this is appreciated and it is one of the reasons why many return. Upon arrival we were made welcomed as always and it did not take us long to check in and have our bags taken upstairs.

Room: Our suite #407 on the 4th floor was this time overlooking the Acropolis again but from a much better angle than the suite we had last year. It was spacious, very comfortable and spotlessly clean. The soft colour of the walls was matching well with the furniture and the huge Queen bed added to the charm and style of the suite. I appreciated the espresso coffee machine, however I was kind of disappointed when I noticed that I had to pay 3 euros for each coffee. However, the usual coffee facilities of a hot water teapot with sachets of coffee and tea are free so I asked the waitress to bring me one such.
I truly appreciated the treat we had in the room upon arrival –a platter of seasonal fruit and a bottle of water. The balcony was not that big but I cannot complain as it was comfortable enough to fit two chairs and a table. The view of the hill of the Acropolis could clearly be seen even if I was lying in bed and I found this amazing. I had the most stunning photos taken from our suite the two days we were there, not to mention the many photos I had with some of the most beautiful sunsets ever!
The long desk-like stand was comfortable and I can tell that I spent quite a time out there working on my laptop. There was a mini bar on the side just below the TV set and a drawer and at the entrance corridor there was a very spacious wardrobe with ample of space, shelves drawers and a mirror. I always appreciate a second door in the room because it shuts out possible noise from the corridor. I have to mention also that slippers and robes and a safe are provided.

Bathroom: The bathroom again was much bigger and nicer than the one we had the year before. It seemed brand new, very clean and elegant. I cannot understand why some guests complain about the toilet paper stand which is hanging in crystal-like chain. I find this clever and stylish. It is obvious that many people are capricious and they cannot appreciate things and they do it out of habit and not because there is any reason. Towels were bright white, thick and had a pleasant smell of freshness.
There was a kit with the usual things one expects to find but don’t expect to find a toothbrush or a comb (the comb is useless anyway) but there was a shoe polish kit which I don’t usually find in other hotels! I found the plastic cap a bit small so you can ask to be brought another one if you also find that it does not fit you. The ladies at the housekeeping are very kind and I had mine in seconds. I noticed that there was only one shampoo and one gel for two persons and a body lotion but again I asked and I was brought some. This request was answered in less than 5 minutes and the lady was really polite. For her and the rest of the staff she told me there was not trouble at all.

As a Guide Writer I am a person who travels a lot and during my trips I have to spend many days in different hotels each month. I know how hotels work, and I learnt to appreciate things but at the same time be demanding when I have to. I always urge people to kindly ask for extra toiletries if they need any instead of complaining afterwards when they get home. Let the people in charge know if something goes wrong immediately instead of spoiling your holidays with things that can surely be fixed. I am sure the management will do anything possible to meet the needs of their guests.

I was amazed with the progress of room service compared to other years. It was indeed a pleasant surprise seeing a lady from the housekeeping knocking the door to check if we need anything late in the afternoon. She had a huge smile and handed me two jelly candies and a blue card in gold letters. It shows the moon in gold and several stars and there is the word “good night” in 9 different languages! What a nice treat this is! It shows that somebody does care and surely this is the management.

Breakfast: Again I noticed the great difference and progress in the rich American Breakfast buffet this year. I could not believe it! Besides the nice presentation everything was fresh. I am not going to start mentioning everything but I can say that there was nothing missing. Apart from the buffet there was a side corner table very nicely set with all kinds of delicacies ideal for those who have a sweet tooth. All kinds of home-made desserts were out there, -pastry sweets with pistachio and nuts in different variations, “bougatsa” and baklava, “Kataifi” even some traditional sweets from Crete “kaltsounia” different cakes and all sorts of other goodies.

Staff: They are a bunch of professionals indeed. There are people who work for more than 25 years here and I met several of them. They are proud of working here, they respect the owners and guests and this is I am sure one of the reasons why the hotel stands out among other hotels in Athens. These people make the difference and it shows!

The Restaurant: Le Grand Balcon on the 6th floor is not only popular with guests who stay in the hotel but it is well known as a Signature Restaurant in Athens. As it gets dark it is transformed to a magic place to be. The lights of the city shine brightly all over and the highlight is the Acropolis which seems so close. In reality, the whole floor is a multifunctional spot operating as a Sophisticated Gourmet restaurant with exceptional dishes, a Dancing hall and occasionally a Conference centre. We had dinner one of the two nights which we found amazing but I have a separate review exclusively on the restaurant so I won’t expand in writing more comments here.

If you appreciate fine art you will find a great collection of inspiring and breathtaking works of art and paintings which decorate the interior corridors. I was so amazed and absorbed by the beautiful collection having a feeling that I was walking through an art gallery until I came across the S G Art Gallery found at the mezzanine of the hotel.

General: Out of curiosity I asked to be shown a couple of rooms on the ground floor. I wanted to check what the budget rooms look like. I had read negative comments like being very narrow, no balcony, and being old. I did not see what people described at all. The rooms look all right, they might not have a balcony but they are spacious, clean and yes…elegant. Instead of a balcony there is a huge glass window. The room might not be facing the Acropolis or a street sometimes but both room and bathroom have all the necessary amenities for a comfortable stay. They surely cost less.

Wi Fi internet connection is free on the terrace if I am not mistaken but if you want to have the connection in your room the rate is 6euros an hour, 18 euros for 24 hours and if you want it for 2 days the cost comes to 25.

I don’t recommend this hotel for people who have walking problems because the hotel is located on a slope, however there are several taxis waiting by the taxi-rank and they are around throughout the day and night. I don’t think there would be a problem if you afford to move by taxi.

We had an exceptional stay and I highly recommend it. I am sure if you stay here once you will want to return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
lycabettus, Owner at Saint George Lycabettus, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our hotel.
The hotel is located in one of the trendiest and elegant districts of Athens , just walking distance from the city center and boasts spectacular views of the Athens and the Acropolis.
Our award winning restaurant “La Suite Lounge” on the 6th floor also offers magnificent views of the city of Athens from breakfast time as well as throughout the day for light lunched and gourmet dining.
All our staff and the management of the hotel aim to offer our guest the best possible service and standards ensuring a memorable stay.

639 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Greek first
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We have stayed at the St. George dozens of times, but not in the past five when we had a house in Athens. If you are looking for things to annoy you, you can find them here. The hotel is over-designed. The silverware is so much so that form interferes with function. Toilet paper is hung from a beaded rope that makes it impossible to use. Individual room temperature can't be controlled. Just try to shower without flooding the bathroom floor. Staff can appear perfunctory. All this said, We love the SGL. It is a short walk from the center, close to the Metro and many museums, and in the heart of ritzy Kolonaki. And ... appearance aside, the staff are kind and generous and helpful? This is a much better bet that either the Megali Brettania or the Hilton, the former too close, the latter too close to the action of Constitution Sq.

Room Tip: The acropolis facing rooms really do offer spectacular views, but as for one on the side towards Dex...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience and comments.
Our guests’ feedback is always welcome, bad or good reviews, as it is very important towards our continuous improvement. We always strive to provide the best possible hospitality and service to all of our Guests.

We do hope that the next time you choose to visit Athens you will allow us to show you the effort that we put in order to create unique experiences.
kiotari
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

If you stay at this hotel you MUST invest some extra to get Acropolis View and breakfast included. We booked such a deal via booking.com and it turned out to be a great deal.
+ Room with amazing view over Athens
+ Fantastic breakfast , fresh ,nicely presented , good selection and again breathtaking view to enjoy while you having breakfast. Efficient staff
+ It was our 5 years anniversary and we got a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine upon arrival.
+ Staff in reception were helpful and service minded. Housekeeping were smiling.
+ Safe area of Athens.

Only minor details ( as I work in the hospitality business and hence very detailed)
- The massage shower in the bedroom was not working at all. we needed to hold the shower head while showering.
- Extremely old telephone in the room.
- VERY expensive room amenities. ADVISE :bring with you bottled water ,chips and other snack you may want while staying there (if you dont wanna pay a lot for such a cost).
- The evening porter could have a more 5 star service approach
- We like to walk so we don't mind the hills. But if you have trouble to walk you may consider to take taxi. But again taxi is very cheap in Athens.

Room Tip: Invest the extra euros in a room with view and breakfast.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
lycabettus, Owner at Saint George Lycabettus, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
We would like to thank you for your nice comments.
Our staff and the management of the hotel are offering our guests the best possible service and standards ensuring a memorable stay.
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We really liked the hotel. The room we had did not have a view, but the breakfast room more than made up for it. Each morning, we were greeted with an excellent breakfast and a fabulous view of Athens all the way to the Acropolis. Our room was smaller, but clean and had all of the amenities. The common rooms in the hotel were very nice and we had helpful conversations with the staff numerous times. However, it is located on the side of Lycabettus Hill, a very steep walk up from the main tourist area of Athens. A lot of one way streets led to some confusion for our taxi driver who didn't recognize the address when we engaged him in the Placa area. We just said "Lycabettus Hill" and he got us close enough that when we knew where we were, we just got out and walked the rest of the way. The hotel has a really nice outdoor restaurant across the street and there is a taverna close by for a more local feel. We are walkers by nature and didn't mind, but if you are not, you need to plan on taxis. And be sure to have the hotel address and map clearly marked. All in all, it was a good choice.

Room Tip: If a view is important to you, you need to ask when you book. As we spend such little time in our r...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We would like to thank you for your nice comments.
Our restaurants and specially La Suite Lounge offers magnificent views to Athens and Acropolis.
Samos, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

this hotel is just gorgeous, boutique, fantastic location, wish we had found it before as we have always stayed at the Grande Bretange in Syntagma( at least 3 times the nightly rate ).
At the St George Lycabettus, the Grand Balcony, rooftop bar and restaurant is magnificent without the prices of the GB! We had a 5 course degustation menu including a bottle of wine for 36eurosp/p, whilst enjoying a beautful sunset view of the Partheneon....unbelievable, Then a very good breakfast on this Grand Balcony the following morning.
The hotel itself is a little tired even tho it was refurbished in 2005, but the room was big and the bed and bedding was superb. The staff were great. We loved the location...lovely class of people in the whole area. We loved walking the streets and enjoying a coffee or wine here and there. Quite different to being too close to Syntagma and the Plaka, where it is very touristy and busy.
The online booking gives you great specials so well worth while checking all the booking sites as well as the hotel site on line...huge savings to be had from the rack rate.
Taxi is only 10euro into Plaka and Parthenon, or a 600m walk

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

A nice hotel though a bit tired looking in a classic type style.

2 minute walk from the trendy boutique stores of Kolonaki and the stunning view at lycabbetus hill made this hotel.

Free Wifi at the roof top and the view of the acropolis was amazing!!

About a 10 minute drive to the main city centre. It's very hilly so train station is a bit far for such a a walk.

The downside to our room was that it smelt like cigarettes, despite it being a non-smoking room, a little grosss...

Room Tip: Try get a room as high a level as possible, that way the free Wifi available on the roof top bar con...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
lycabettus, Owner at Saint George Lycabettus, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your review which is highly appreciated as all comments are welcomed in order to make us meet the highest possible quality service to our guests.
The hotel holds the elegance and the classics of Athens at its best by the years.
The hotel is located in one of the trendiest and elegant districts in Athens being able to offer the best views in Athens just in walking distance from the centre of Athens.
The line of our rooms is capable of fitting all guests’ desire. Our Frond Desk department is happy to serve all requests.
We would be happy to welcome you once more to our hotel and accommodate you according to your requests.
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I loved everything, from my room (see below) to the overall good vibes, the stunning breakfast buffet (with the amazing view), free internet - all of it! The staff always greeted you with a smile from cleaning personnel to the concierge. The mini-bar was also packed with goodies (I actually had two of them in my room). Highly recommended!

Room Tip: 508/509 is a tremendous suite where you wake up, looking out on Acropolis... and basically the entir...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We will be glad to welcome once more and provide you with more memories.

Been to Saint George Lycabettus? Share your experiences!