“A combination of an Excellent location, Breathtaking views and Professionalism!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Saint George Lycabettus

You added Saint George Lycabettus to your Saves list
Saint George Lycabettus
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Kleomenous Street, Athens 10675, Greece   |
Ranked #106 of 326 Hotels in Athens
GREECE&CYPRUS
1,752 helpful votes 1,752 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Starting with the location of the Hotel which is in one of the most trendy and elegant districts in Athens, it offers the best of Athens just in walking distance, right in the luxury areas of Kolonaki centre, -a place of celebrities and shopping.

The hotel has a long history behind it with the 4th generation overtaking the business the last 10 years and this is another reason that makes it so special and a gem in the city of Athens. It is a wholly Greek family business with no trace of fatigue.

During our 2 days stay I did feel the luxury class services offered to guests, -the fundamental motive of the staff and management here. There was a taxi strike and we were given a reminder leaflet upon arrival which proved very helpful since we had forgotten all about it. It is a hotel where guests are treated like VIP guests no matter the kind of booking they have made. Professionalism is at its highest point, and the management seems to be doing an excellent job providing an ambience that guests will surely want to return. It is indeed a home of luxury and privilege and over the years has established and proved that it is one of the finest hotels in Athens.

Our spotless charming room was not very big but it was stylish, comfortable and cosy. The bed was huge with an up and over bed head canopy which provided a creative and sophisticate centrepiece,-only wished I had more time to relax here.
We had a surprise indulgence an hour after we arrived of some ouzo. Our little balcony was facing the Acropolis and it is magic sitting out here after sunset when the lights are on. What breathtaking views we had!
I can admit that our bathroom was not very big either, but for our comfortable stay we had all amenities needed which were included in a kit, and there were ample of toiletries with the name of the hotel on, besides the 3 huge bottles of shampoo and bath gel above the bath tab. Towels were bright white, and bathroom robes and slippers were provided as well.
The coffee and tea making facilities were also appreciated.

The American buffet was more than adequate with a great variety of cereals, omelette, sausages, salmon and mushrooms, cakes, jams, fresh orange juice, ham and cheese, bacon and anything one would dream of. Kyriakos the Cypriot supervisor of the restaurant has been working at this hotel for more than 25 years and he was telling me that the majority of people working here are dedicated to this hotel. I believe having people working in the same business for so many years, surely makes the difference and this is where professionalism and the success of the business comes!

The one and only day I spent here was actually not enough to visit the Sensia spa and when I asked to visit it I was told that it opens at 1:00 pm which was too late for me. I spent an hour up the terrace by the outdoor swimming pool enjoying a refreshing drink where I talked a lot with Nico, whom I found exceptional. He is responsible for the bar and the area on the terrace, with higher studies. I noticed how people greeted him with a smile that showed that he is doing a good job out there.

Le Grand Balcon on the 6th floor, -popular in all Athens and not only, is transformed to magic as it gets dark with the most beautiful panoramic views of the Acropolis and the Lycabettus hill which is in short distance. In reality, a multifunctional spot operating as a Sophisticated Gourmet restaurant with exceptional dishes, a Dancing hall and occasionally a Conference centre.

If you appreciate fine art you will find a great collection of inspiring and breathtaking works of art and paintings all over the premises. I was so amazed and absorbed by the beautiful collection having a feeling that I was walking through an art gallery until I came across the S G Art Gallery found at the mezzanine of the hotel.

In an attempt to find something negative I am obliged to mention that more businessmen would choose this hotel if it had a free internet connection. Of course there is a free wifi connection in the lobby but it is extremely slow. I had my own laptop and my own connection here since I live in Greece, but for foreigners this is a problem. At the basement of the hotel there is a parking lot but guests have to pay because it operates as a different business.

In all, our stay was exceptional, I would certainly love to return and I highly recommend it to all.

Room Tip: Pick a room to overlook the Acropolis in the upper floors.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

I think that this hotel gets poor reviews because it is compared to hotels in other cities. For Athens, it's a good value and not bad. Service was always good (I've stayed twice in the last month). The rate I paid (140 E) was competitive, though I agree with other posters that about 20 E a day for Wifi is not warranted, especially since I found the Wifi spotty. I loved the location as you can go to restaurants not teeming with tourists, as Kolonaki is the upscale part of Athens (think Bev Hills/River Oaks/Upper East Side/The Rocks/Highland Park). It's also walking distance (if you like to walk) to the Plaka, Acropolis, and Syntagma).

Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Trondheim
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

The breakfast was excellent and the view (to the Akropolis) couldn't have been better. The same applies to the swimming pool at the roof. The hotel also offered first rate service.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Saint-Etienne-de-Baigorry, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

After having stayed at a couple of 'cheap hotels' in Athens (between 50 and 60 euros per night) we wanted to stay at a so called '5 stars hotel'. We liked the location of the St George (Kolonaki) and having seen a billed offer of 95 euros per night we went for it expecting something more. Well, here's what we got:
- the room was ok in terms of size but the bathroom was average. Unfortunately the room was next to a working construction site which was noisy and dusty (drilling started at 7am in the morning, we kept the balcony door closed at all times)
- No free wifi (access starts at 20 euros)
- No parking for non-residents around this seclusive upscale area (unless you pay 25 euros/night to access the hotel parking)
- Breakfast starts at 20 euros per person
- No complimentary bottled of water in the room. The mini bar is super expensive (ie one cereal bar is priced 7 euros!!)
- the swimming pool, area on the top floor which was one of the amenities that attracted us in the first place, is very small and can only accommodate 4 couples on deck.
- Housekeeping came after 2pm during siesta time when we had returned from our morning city tours.

Out of the 5 stars rating for this hotel in the end you are left only with the costs and hiked charges incurred during your stay and no sense of satisfaction. We had a much better stay in 3 star hotels around the Acropolis with complimentary wifi, stunning city views and free breakfast. We will not be coming back to St George again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
lycabettus, Owner at Saint George Lycabettus, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Dear User elfugaz L

With great respect we read your comments about our hotel.
Our hotel is always happy to receive objective & constructive comments and feedback from our guests.
Regarding the size of the swimming pool please note that the area is big enough respectively to our hotel capacity.
The hotel offers free Wi-Fi internet access at its Public areas, but not the premium service of 24Mbps (download speed) which starts from 6 Euros charge. We also have many discount packages with respect to the Internet usage that offer many discounted options which are used in conjunction with the room rate and are available for booking over the Internet.
Your reservation was made with one of our lowest rates available, which can some times mislead the guest in terms of value but you must know that the charge for Breakfast and/or the Mini Bar reflects the service and the quality of our products.
Our hotel is distinguished among other local Hotels for its premium view to Acropolis and Athens even from inside the rooms which makes the stay unique in one of our superior rooms.
We would be glad to accommodate you once more in order to prove our hospitality and concern for the wellbeing of our guests.

The management
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

I spent two nights at the Lycabettus paying both nights via bank wire transfer. I paid for a room with a full achropolis view but they tried to give me one with no view at all. What is worse is that despite I told them twice that the room was already paid for (I had receipt and everything) they still charged me one night. I tried to argue then and they treated me like I was this annoying paranoid guest who wouldn't trust that they were just running the credit card for a "preauthorization". When I realized that they did charge me, I had to call 4 times before they agreed to reimbourse me. The service is pretty bad. The hotel in fine but not worth 5 stars.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear User Michele Z,

All our guests’ comments and feedback are welcome and gladly accepted in our continuous effort to improve and maximise the quality of our services.
The hotel wishes to apologize for this unfortunate incident that left you displeased with your experience here.
Regarding the preauthorization however please note that this a standard procedure for all our guests upon arrival.
The hotel will be happy to accommodate you again in order to show you our true standards of service & hospitality.

The management
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Pros: The staff was great. The view was awesome. The food was terrific. It's in a very safe neighborhood, so I felt comfy walking around at night

Cons: It's high on a hill, so it can be a very tiring walk. The double room is somewhat small.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

The hotel location is good, Kolonaki is a fantastic spot with great shopping, food & greenery. The decor of the hotel is dated & old, our room was average, looked old, & at times appeared dirty due to it's age. In my opinion not a 5 star hotel... Will not stay here ever again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Saint George Lycabettus? Share your experiences!