“Modern Convenience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 324 Hotels in Athens
Dallas, Texas
“Modern Convenience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

We stayed here because of the "demonstrations" going on in front of the Parliament buildings and as women travelling alone, we felt very safe here. The room was contemporary, the beds were fine and there was a sitting area in the room. All that said, the room felt a little small. Our view was lovely if you didn't look down. If you looked down, all you saw was the roof of the public areas of the hotel. What I liked most was the bathroom. Separate tub and shower, decent storage space on the counter, nice amenities. The front desk was pleasant and we tried most of the restaurants in the hotel and found the food to be acceptable. I would definitely stay here again. This was was a nice hotel although it was rather generic and too far from the Plaka for shopping on foot.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
athbart, General Manager at Hilton Athens, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Dear Madame,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Athens for your stay here in October.

It was a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your visit and were satisfied with the majority of facilities and services rendered. Your kind comments have been passed on to my colleagues and have been much appreciated!

We do look forward to welcoming you back and extend once again the warm hospitality that our guests have come to expect from us over the years.

Hilton Athens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Delhi, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

had to stay at this hotel for two nights fully aware that the hilton is known for its stingy practices. i guess i am not the only one who felt the way i did . for the money they charge you its ridiculous that they wont give you a complimentary internet access not to talk about the gym or the pool . the staff at the reception desk was extremely rude and unwelcoming. the feeling was as if the staff was doing me a favour by letting me stay at their place. there was this funny kind of music playing everywhere one went the breakfast room , lobby , elevator , corridors you name it . but the thing that really put me off was the tone and behaviour of the staff of the hotel specially the guy in charge of the reception desk .

Room Tip: if you have a choice take my advice dont choose a room here
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding your recent stay here.

We were concerned to read that you were not satisfied with your visit, the services rendered as well as our colleagues' behaviour. Please accept our sincere apologies for this. Your input has been taken into consideration and reviewed with the relevant department heads in order to correct any shortcomings.

Once again, thank you for your comments and for having chosen the Hilton Athens for your stay. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

Stayed here for a cardiology conference for 4 days. Everything was perfect, porter was helpful, check in was fast, room was good as per expectation, location is central to touristy places ie Acropolis, Plaka district, church on top of the hill. Simply excellent :)

Coming from Asia and having stayed in many hotels in Asia, I cannot fault this hotel's service and can't compare with the Asian hospitality which IMHO is much better eg hotel staff in Asia would readily smile more, bow slightly when seeing a hotel guest, show willingness to help at every occasion. I was quite annoyed when I asked the front desk to call the porter and she answered "the porter would be coming soon". I would say "OK, let me try to call the porter for you sir" and pick up the phone. These are fine details which will count when you competing to be No 1 globally.

Overall, I would come back to this hotel and highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
athbart, General Manager at Hilton Athens, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to forward us your comments regarding your recent stay here at the Hilton Athens.

We were pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit and were satisfied with most of the facilities. Your input regarding the Front Desk service has been reviewed with my colleagues in order to take necessary corrective action. Thank you for having brought this to our attention, we are very sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Athens in the not too distant future.

Chania Town, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011 via mobile

During a visit for business in Athens we decided to stay in the Hilton, since we were satisfied the other times we have been here. Although not our first visit, I take the chance to make some notices. First of all I consider it unacceptable for a luxury hotel like Hilton not to offer complimentary Internet access. And is amazing that they expect you to pay 90 € for a "3 day meetings plan". That's absurd!
Everything at the hotel is overpriced starting from a bottle of water at the room (500ml for 6.50€) to a coffee at the restaurants as mentioned already from other reviewers.
As for the breakfast buffet, I must admit that it was very rich and I like the fact that remains open till 11 am on weekends.
The food quality is very good, although I didn't like the scrambled eggs that much, but this is a detail.
The rooms are pretty big with all the amenities, but you will have to ask for bathrobes and slippers. Now one more Unacceptable thing, is that you have to pay for use of the inside pool! I have visited several Hilton hotels around the world, but I doubt I found one that you have to pay extra for almost everything!
Last thing, Galaxy bar is for sure one of the most valued (although too expensive) in town, but you won't appreciate the noise on Saturday night if you just want to sleep, specially in the upper floors.
In conclusion, there are many hotels in Athens that meet the category criteria, much cheaper, offering all these things that I personally consider basic for a 5 star hotel, for free.
I will definitely reconsider my review at least if in my next visit Internet is provided for free.

• Stayed December 2011
athbart, General Manager at Hilton Athens, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback regarding your stay here at the Hilton Athens in December.

Although your general impression of your visit was positive, however we noted with concern your points regarding some of our prices that you found high. Although our rates are in line with what other deluxe hotels in Athens offer, your input has been taken into serious consideration and reviewed with my colleagues, in order to take appropriate action, where needed.

We always do value our guests' input as this is the best way to improve our services and correct our shortcomings.

Look forward to welcoming you back in the not distant future.

Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

I wanted to play it safe in Athens and chose the Hilton for a three night stay. The hotel globally lives up to the Hilton standard, but one thing that really bothered me was the music that was present in the elevator, and even more so in the breakfast restaurant. The breakfast room could potentially be a haven of peace, but the overly present music turns it into an unpleasant and aggressive place. Why, oh why? If the intention was to make me eat in a hurry and leave the place within 10 minutes, the hotel manager succeeded. Please, Mr. Manager, turn off the music or at least chose something more neutral and turn down the volume. Ambient should be ambient, not overly present!

I had a room with Acropolis view. While the view is certainly a nice feature, this also means that the room is facing a crowded crossroad. Since I sleep with the windows open, the permanent traffic noise was kind of disturbing. I think - although I cannot know for sure - that the rooms on the opposite side would be quieter. I should add that the noise disappears once you close the window.

Many have said that the Internet is too expensive, as is the indoor pool. I think so too, but since most 5 star properties have this nasty habit of making a few extra dollars (or euros, or whatever) this way, I won't complain.

The business lounge in the Athens Hilton is rather disappointing: Food and drinks disappear at 8:45, leaving only coffee and tea. I have been at other Hilton properties where a beer at 10pm with the colleagues in a quiet room was a welcome end of the day. Not so here.

I still think I'll return, but booking a cheaper room next time.

Room Tip: I was not impressed with the Acropolis view rooms, since they are loud, if you open the terrasse doo...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
athbart, General Manager at Hilton Athens, responded to this review, December 9, 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for choosing to stay here at the Hilton Athens and for taking the time to share your comments with us.

Guest satisfaction is our primary concern. Your valuable input has been taken into serious consideration and reviewed with my colleagues in order to take corrective action, where needed.

We do hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

I was actually pleasantly surprised, as I stayed in another so called 5 star hotel in Athens earlier in the year, and so wasnt really expecting much, but it was lovely. Very impressive lobby, the reception staff were efficient, polite and very friendly, the rooms were nice, clean and roomy with hairdryer, iron/ironing board, shampoos/conditioners etc all provided. The bathroom was large, the shower and baths were lovely, all really very nice. The rooftop bar, although a bit chilly in November, was worth a quick drink, as it's a nice vibe up there and worth it for a quick photo of the acropolis etc.

We got a good deal via a hotel booking website of approx £104 per night, for a twin room, including breakfast - so for that price, I think it was well worth it - however I did notice the prices for breakfast if you were to pay separately seemed a little high, 25-37 euros each?

If I were to mention any negatives, there were no biscuits in the room with tea/coffee, it was 20 euros to watch a film, they charge extra to use the indoor pool(?) and prices for bar snacks are extortionate - 20+ euros for a sandwich! I know they are having economic troubles, but clawing it back on sandwiches and bottled water seems a little extreme.

But overall, a very good experience, I would definitely stay there again and would recommend.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
athbart, General Manager at Hilton Athens, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Dear Madame,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding your recent stay here at the Hilton Athens.

It was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your visit and were satisfied with most of the services rendered. Your kind comments have been communicated to my colleagues and have been much appreciated!

In relation to some of our prices that you found high, although these are in line with other deluxe hotels in Athens, your valuable input has been taken into serious consideration.

We do look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Hilton Athens in the near future.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

This was a beautiful hotel idealy located for leisure travelers. Very safe to walk around at night. We were on our honeymoon and decided to stay a couple of days at the Hilton Athens before heading to Santorini. I must say that we should have stayed at least 5 to 7 days. The rooms were spacious and very clean! Our room had a balcony with the view of Lycabito. The staff was very friendly and helpful when we asked for directions.

We enjoyed the breakfast at Byzantino, they offered whatever you can imagine; from an american breakfast to a "greek" breakfast. My absolute favorite was the warm rizogalo (ricepudding) and my personalized omelete made in front of you from the chef. Also, the restaurant Galaxy that was on the rooftop had amazing food. It may be a little pricey however it's worth every dollar. The view of the acropolis and watching the sun go down in evening was breathtaking. The steak was cooked just right!

My next trip to Greece, I would definitely go back and would recommend this hotel for leisure and business travelers! I have travelled within the Hilton hotels family to the United States and Canada and must say that this hotel was my number 1 favourite! My profession is in the hotel industry therefore my expectations are set high to begin with. Good job to all the staff!

Room Tip: Although we were facing the traffic street, we could not hear ANY noise!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
athbart, General Manager at Hilton Athens, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Dear Madame,

Thank you very much for your kind input regarding your stay here at the Hilton Athens in August.

It was a pleasure to note that your husband and you enjoyed every aspect of your visit and honeymoon trip. Your positive feedback has been forwarded to the attention of my colleagues and has been much appreciated!

Do look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future and extend the warm hospitality that our guests have come to expect from us over the years.

Hilton Athens

Been to Hilton Athens? Share your experiences!