“I've stayed in a lot of nice hotels but this was among the best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel

You added Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vas. Georgiou A' 1 | Constitution Square, Athens 10563, Greece   |
Ranked #6 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“I've stayed in a lot of nice hotels but this was among the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

Cannot beat this hotel on almost everything. Besides a fantastice view of the Acropolis, it is in the center of everything. People were great, pool nice, drinks great (my favorite was "The Last Cocktail", and breakfast buffet was really super. Only one issue-we went to dinner up on the roof for the view. Skip it and just go for a drink...the bar is very good with exactly the same view. Food at dinner was OK, wine pricey and service was too efficient--how about it was delivered while the sommelier was still discussing wines with us? Other than that small glitch, it was really an exceptional stay. Don't miss it.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing Constitution Square...with any luck you can watch the changing of the guard...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

We'd originally planned to spend our two nights in Athens at a lower-end hotel, but were gifted two nights at this hotel for our wedding, and what a difference it made! We sat at the rooftop bar for a few drinks before dinner at the rooftop restaurant our first night (amazing view of the Acropolis at sunset, and best meals of the vacation - lamb and pasta), spent time by the pool on our second afternoon (the chairs were so comfortable I fell asleep while lounging), and slept comfortably both nights we were there. Only downside was not having free wi-fi (I did pay for 24 hours, which was maybe 10 euros). We were able to walk to the Plaka, the Acropolis, and all over the city from this location. We were also there during a meeting of Euro delegates, and while security was heightened (metal detectors on our walk in, x-ray machines for luggage), the hotel staff made every effort to keep us comfortable, and I did not feel like I was being imposed upon. Overall, if you're looking for an upscale experience (and costs don't matter), definitely give this place a look.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Htl_Grande_Bretagne, Manager at Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you taking the time to write your review after your recent stay at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. Your feedback was wonderful and we are delighted that we exceeded your expectations. Please also accept our congratulations and warmest wishes for your new life together. Looking forward to welcome you back soon.
Boston, MA.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

We were hesitant at first because we usually don’t go for the grand old historic hotels, but we had a great deal through Starwood’s points so we booked The Grande Bretagne and were pleasantly surprised! The Grande Bretagne was in the best location in Athens. The hotel was completely modernized and had anything you wanted in a major hotel. The rooms were beautiful, the bedding and the sheets were fantastic, and the bathrooms were first class, all in marble. There was a nice outdoor pool and lounge on the seventh floor; there was an indoor pool and spa in the basement. The best however was the roof top dining room, both outdoor and indoor tables overlooking the Acropolis and major sites of Athens! Plus the food lived up to its very high reputation, although on the expensive side as expected. The staff was friendly and thoroughly professional. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: free wifi with starwood's.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Stayed 4 nights in this very central property, within walking distance to Acropolis, parliament, major museums, and the restaurant district. Lovely classic hotel that treats you well.
Breakfasts are superb however service can be hit or miss there. We had both.
Rooms are luxurious and quiet, and beds are comfortable. Could not ask for a better stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
ponte vedra beach, fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Refined, and tasteful with style and grace. We had room 612 with butler service (which we did not use). The views from our balcony were of the Acropolis, Parliament with the changing of the guard every hour, and in the distance, Olympic Stadium, the mountains, and the Aegean Sea. This same view was on the 8th floor breakfast room, and dinner dining, alfresco, if desired. The service in the hotel was excellent and Evagelia Hatzllanovou made the best cappuccino I have ever had and she made our breakfasts very special. The buffet was bountiful. And try the Greek Mountain hot Tea.

The Winter Garden Salon and Alexander Bar apparently was voted the best hotel bar in the world twice by Forbes Magazine. In the bar there is an old and valuable tapestry depicting Alexander the Great. The pianist, Petros Karpathakis, could be the next Liberace. He was so talented. Also great service and food.

We like to set our own pace, rather than use a tour guide. The "Hop On, Hop Off" buses a few steps from the hotel served us well. Central location. Business Center internet was complementary.

Room Tip: Room 612 overlooking the Acropolis, Parliament, Olympic Stadium, the mountains and the Aegean Sea.
Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing your comments after your recent stay at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. It was a pleasure to read your review and we certainly hope to welcome you back very soon.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

I have just returned after a two night stay at Grande Bretagne in Athens and am really disappointed with the experience at the hotel. We had booked rooms at this hotel because we had heard glowing reviews of the hotel. The Grande Bretagne’s reputation precedes it.
We checked in at 9 am on the 27th of August 2014 and were pleasantly surprised that the hotel had actually acceded to our request for an early check-in and were providing us with a room right away. We were taken to a room on the first floor through a maze of corridors and I began to notice that the corridors had absolutely no direct sunlight and it was rather like navigating through a tunnel. We arrived at the room and discovered that it was not just the corridors that received no sunlight – our assigned room too had just one elongated window dressed in heavy drapes and its glass pane was frosted all the way up to the middle thereby allowing very little light into the room and no view at all. I rose up on tip-toes to see what we looked out onto and realized why the window pane was frosted – the view outside our room was of a courtyard, dirty and ugly.
We called reception and requested a higher floor as I felt we might get at least some natural light on a higher floor. We were informed that there was a room on the 5th Floor available but were forewarned that it was smaller. We moved to the 5th floor but what we had not expected was that the room would be so small that there would be almost no space for our two pieces of checked in luggage and two pieces of hand luggage. The room was tiny and filled with heavy ornate which would have been perfect had the room been able to accommodate these pieces. As it was the heavy pieces merely cluttered up the room. When I sat on the chair my knees almost touched the queen sized bed. Everything was so cramped and difficult to navigate through. To make things even worse this room too had just one window allowing in not much more light than the previous room. This window however was not frosted and we now overlooked a white canopy that covered the ugly courtyard from our view. To add to our woes the room was strategically located opposite the service elevator which ensured we would constantly be subjected to the sounds of luggage or food- trolleys being taken to rooms. I was really really disappointed and once again requested for a different room. We were now informed that as check-out time was 12 noon nothing was available at this time but if anything was available after 2 pm the hotel would try and accommodate our request but certainly could not promise us anything. Hoping for the best we decided not to unpack or use any of the facilities in the room but instead to go out to shop/sightsee and then try our luck later in the afternoon.
We returned to the room at around 3 pm to try and get some rest and were pleasantly surprised to be informed that we had been allocated another room on the 5th floor. We once again wound our way through a maze of corridors and were directed to a room that now actually had enough space for one of our pieces of luggage to be placed horizontally onto a luggage-rack and the other three pieces could be placed on the floor. The room was very hot but I presumed that this was because the air -conditioning had not been switched on. I quickly put on the air-conditioner and decided to take a little rest as we had just arrived in that morning and had been out in hot summer Athens sun for several hours. An hour later the room was still hot though the air-conditioner had been on so we called and were promptly asked, “Have you left your window open?” When we confirmed we had not the reception said they would send someone up to check. By the time the technician arrived we had decide to leave the room as we had been cooped up in a room with absolutely no air or ventilation for over an hour by now. We requested the technician to rectify the fault in the A/C by the time we got back in the evening and he assured us he would. We got back at around 8.30 pm and the room was still uncomfortably hot and now the A/C kept cutting off every 5 minutes! I was so tired and uncomfortable that I decided to take a cool shower and see if that helped. But within minutes of my shower I was drenched in sweat as the A/C was just not cooling even slightly. My husband once again called reception and requested a technician to check the A/C and once again was asked the absurd and pointless question, “Have you left the window open?!” We waited and waited for the technician for about half an hour and by now it was well past 9pm and yet no one had come to check the A/C. Finally I really lost my temper and called the reception and demanded that they send up someone immediately to rectify the problem. The same technician who had checked the A/C earlier returned but this time he had another technician accompanying him. They did not even check the machine as they then informed us that there was a mechanical fault in the machine that could not be repaired. What astonishes me is that a luxury deluxe hotel of Grande Bretagne repute can actually know that the A/C is faulty and yet not bother with the guests comfort and just leave us in the room to put up with the heat! Did they even apologise? NO. But the technician did inform us that they would try and find us another room! I was so upset by then that I asked him to first check whether everything was working in the room before moving us for the fourth time that day. At 10.05 pm we were moved into a room (our fourth one in one day) now on the third floor which had the A/C working, two windows and the room could actually accommodate our luggage with two luggage racks! However, unfortunately, this is not the end of the story. I discovered the next morning that though the bathroom was large and very well appointed with top of the line fittings, the shower unit drain was clogged and all through my shower I was wading through soapy water. But by this time I was so relieved to have been given a room that was cool and had space for my luggage that I just put up with the clogged drain through the rest of our stay.
The housekeeping too needs to be tightened at the Grande Bretagne as though we left our room at 9 am the next morning and returned only around 2 pm we found that the room had still not be cleaned. When we returned in the evening though the room had been cleaned the bed spreads were all crumpled and a glass I had used the previous night lay on the table unwashed and exactly as I had left it the previous night!
However I have to admit that view from the roof top restaurant is simple out-standing. We had our breakfast there and also our dinner and were seated at tables that gave us a magnificent view of the Acropolis. The service at the restaurant was superb and for once we felt welcome and care for the Grande Bretagne. Make dinner reservations at the Grande Bretagne but don’t waste your money staying there.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Htl_Grande_Bretagne, Manager at Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback after your recent stay at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. While we wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short and for that we sincerely apologize. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, we can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

I have being lucky enough to have stayed in this iconic hotel for forty years .
When it was renovated over a decade ago, a historic hotel became more that just that . It became one of the great hotels of the world .
Over the years I have seen many management and staff changes . None were more professional than the current team who strive for higher and higher standards on each visit .
The roof terrace restaurant is a must, not only for the exquisite food prepared by the chef Asterios and backed up by a team of management and waters, but also for the magical view of the Acropolis lit up in all it's beauty .
There are too many staff that make a stay so enjoyable to mention, but I must thank Mina the butler and Ari at butler floor reception for making my stay such a joy.
I have written many reviews on the grande Bretagne, but I feel I must share my wonderful experiences with the potential future guests of this great hotel.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!