“Nice hotel with location that cannot be beaten but staff was!!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel

You added Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vas. Georgiou A' 1 | Constitution Square, Athens 10563, Greece   |
Ranked #6 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Thessaloniki, Greece
“Nice hotel with location that cannot be beaten but staff was!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

We have stay at Grande Bretagne for one night during this March and the only reason that I choose to stay at this hotel is because I want to watch the Greek parade of the celebration of the release from Turks in Athens and this is the best place to do that.
The best about this hotel again is the location. It is right across the Parliament and next to everything.
Public transports you can find anywhere next to the hotel. Monastiraki, Plaka and all historic centre of Athens is just a short walk from the hotel.
The hotel itself has a British decoration and it is a little "heavy" for us but this has to do about the person. Our room has a small balcony and it is overlooking the Parliament and the Parthenon something that is was great and if the weather is good you can have your coffee in your room balcony.
Staff was always free to help but if you are 30 year old and wear jeans maybe you'll find the staff indifferent, that is something happened to me.
Breakfast was good but not excellent. I have been in much cheaper hotels and the bread was fresh instead at Grande Bretagne wasn't fresh at all but the view from the roof top was top notch. For the price that I pay for the breakfast was very expensive and you can definitely find a cheaper place to have breakfast near the hotel.
Because I am Greek I would like to give a tip to all the foreign tourists that visit Greece and Athens. I see that most tourist have lunch in the historic centre and mostly at taverns that other tourist are. The food was good but the prices are high. I recommend to all to see where Greeks eat because they know where to eat and trust me Greeks like good food and mostly people from my town Thessaloniki. Watch the restaurants that Tripadvisor recommend and you want loose. I went in two places that Tripadvisor recommend and the food was great but I was surprised that I didn’t see any tourist! Take a look than and you want miss!
Next time if I visit Athens I’ll look for another hotel closer to my budget and my needs but if you like old stylish hotel and mostly with a British attitude that is your place and of course if you can afford it!
Hope you find my review helpful to you.

Room Tip: Get a Deluxe room with Parliament or Parthenon view in a higher floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Absolutely loved this place. It has a huge historical background and once you read into it you'll see how many governments and military personal turned this into their HQ. After staying there, you can see why. The hotel is elegant, luxurious and amiable. The rooms are spacious with stunning decoration. The bed is immensely comfortable. The bathroom is exquisitely decorated with marble. The service is friendly and professional throughout the hotel. From the doorman to the receptionist and to the lovely bar staff, they were all lovely people to meet. The hotel bars are fantastic and the bar staff are well trained and can make a killer martini. The Alexander bar was nice to see but sunsets on the roof bar overlooking the Acropolis should be on everyones agenda even if you are not staying at the hotel. I ate and the restaurant upstairs and downstairs and was not disappointed at any point time. The hotels location is great for all the sight seeing and shopping one would like to do. I was in walking distance of most I wanted to see. I even walked all the way to the Gazi area one day. The only problem with the hotel has nothing to do with the hotel and that would be the troubles that Greece is in at the moment and the demonstration occurring in the area.

Room Tip: You would probably have to views to choose from, Parliament or the Acropolis. You choose. The rooms...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Mount Airy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

My wife, daughter, son-in-law, and two friends had the pleasure, recently, of spending a few nights at the Hotel. The service was impeccable, the food was first rate and in general the visit was a great experience. The Grande Bretagne was everything it was advertised to be and is indeed "5 star". I am happy to recommend the Hotel and look forward to a return visit.
Derek Higgs
Mount Airy NC.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

We stayed in the Grande Bretagne for three nights at the end of March 2012, and were delighted with our visit. We requested, and were allocated, a room with a view of the Parthenon. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful, especially the concierge. The food was good, and we have no complaints whatsoever on any aspects of the services provided by the hotel. We would book into the Grande Bretagne if we ever found ourselves in Athens in the future

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

We travelled to Greece to visit some relatives and chose this hotel based on location, reviews and ownership. I am pleased to say that we were not disappointed. The service was excellent and the staff first rate with only one very rude staff member (surprisingly, one of the Roof Top restaurant managers). Breakfast was of a very high standard and the view was magnificent.
The spa was very good and my therapist Nicki was delightful and skilled. I swam in the indoor pool most days and had it completely to myself. The rooms were cleaned quickly and efficiently. Only one protest march during our stay, which lasted a short time. Police presence was very obvious. My only slight criticism is that although they have a traditional Greek restaurant, it is only open during the week between 12pm-5pm and this did not fit in with our routine and the other restaurants did not do the dips and snacks we would have expected in Greece. However, we would most certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Good views overlooking Syntagma Square
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Oak Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

This is a world class Hotel and it is in a superb location. My husband and I stayed her at the conclusion of a cruise to Egypt. Our room was very large and decorated in European oppulence. It had a small terrace which faced the Parliment building. The day of our stay, teachers held a demonstration, with picket signs and playing Pink Floyd's Education asking for higher wages. You can easily walk to Plaka and Acropolis Museum, restaurants and shopping. The service was excellent. This is also an older historic Hotel along the lines of the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco. I highly reccomend staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with Balcony
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

This hotel has history and you can feel it. Well run and good professional service.
The riots did not cause too much disturbance. The disorder was cleared away quite promptly.
Spa facilities were excellent and never very busy.
Great view of the Acropolis at breakfast.
I will return again when I am in Athens which must be the best recommendation for any hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the Square
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!