“Stay in the modern rooms, you wont be disappointed” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Tony
Zacharitsa 26 | Koukaki, Athens 117 41, Greece   |
Ranked #16 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Melbourne, Australia
“Stay in the modern rooms, you wont be disappointed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

We stayed here for two nights, enroute to the Greek Islands.

Tony's Hotel was a great place to stay - the location is not far from "Fix" train station, which we arrived at using the airport train (with one change), which was quite efficient. It's not far to walk to the Acropolis, Acropolis Museum, or Plaka area from Hotel Tony. It felt like a safe neighbourhood as well (we walked through the Omonia district during the daytime and that felt very shady - please be careful if you go there).

The room we had was a modern renovated studio, which were out the back around the corner from the main hotel. The room (some of which are still being constructed) was exactly as pictured, and very nice and clean and modern. We loved the sparkly red marble kitchenette! All very tasteful and comfortable.

Tony and his son were both very helpful and recommended a really nice restaurant which views of the Acropolis where we had a delicious meal one night. When the ferry strike disrupted our plans, Tony very kindly organised his last room for us which helped ease some of the stress! The following day the taxi to the ferry port (Piraeus) cost about 10 euro and took about 15 minutes in good traffic.

Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again or recommend Hotel Tony to other travellers staying in Athens.

Room Tip: Ask for the modern studios
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Greek first
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

Our famly of 4 stayed here for about 4 nights in early July. This hotel is in a very laid back, quiet and safe district/neighborhood immediately SOUTH of the Acropolis. It is called the KAKAKI district. It only takes about 5 - 7 minutes to walk to the Acropolis, and to the Metro station and the fabulous new Acropolis museum. There are also a sprinkling of cafe's, restaurants and bakeries nearby. As to the accommodations themselves, we would agree from some of the other reviews that the NEWLY rennovated units are better than the original units. Just be prepared to spend more - about 100 Euros for a unit with 4 beds vs. about 65 Euros for the old units. The new unit we stayed in on the first floor, had sparkling granite, floors, lighting, kitchen area with refrigerator, sink and serveware, and a beautiful bath...HINT: most showers in Greece have no shower curtains. The linens and bedding were clean and beds very comfortable. There is also WiFi in all the rooms, and a very simple, but workable PC in the lobby area. Tony is a very warm, knowledgeable host and communicates well via email and in person. He is also very adept at requesting all transportation - taxis, tours, etc. We would definitely return - but will request the New section of this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Taranaki
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I chose this hotel because of the amazing reviews on Trip Advisor and now wonder if I had the right hotel because what most of the other reviewers have stated does not tally with our experiences at all. My grand-daughter and I arrived at Hotel Tony late one evening and were greeted by Tony who told us he couldn't find any booking for us and gave the impression the hotel was full. We saw only one other couple during our stay just by the way. Fortunately I had copied our email correspondence to show him so he made a garbled excuse about some confusion with another booking taken by his son and eventually found us a room. He had told me via email that we would have a triple room for the same price as a double so I was rather surprised to find that our room was in fact a very small twin with about a handspan between the beds. The room was very basic more like a hostel room than a hotel. The fridge didn't work...the plug kept falling out of the wall, Also there were no bedside lights and there were no drinking glasses supplied until I asked for them the next day. Actually nothing was supplied except for the necessaries in the bathroom. Tony himself was very pleasant and helpful re where restaurants etc are and the hotel is very ideally located and we appreciated that. However there were drop cloths etc in the foyer and the place was obviously being renovated but no apologies were made for the mess and paint smells. Tony had asked me to re-confirm before our arrival which I did and at that time he could have let me know there were renovations happening and I'd have had the option of going somewhere else. He also asked for credit card details in advance but when we arrived told me he only accepts cash. The tariff is reasonable (65 Euros per night) but we didn't get the triple room as promised and quite frankly I'd rather have paid more for some comfort and a bit more space but we were not given the choice either before or after our arrival. I don't doubt that once the renovations are complete the hotel may be all it promises to be but I would need some convincing before I went back

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

Tony and his family run a great hotel in the heart of Athens. We stayed 9 nights and were delighted with the neighborhood as well as the hotel. In addition, Tony was most helpful with travel tips, restaurant recommendations, booking taxis for early flights, etc

I stayed there with my 22 year old son. We loved the easy walking access to the Acropolis, the proximity to the subway, the tram, the local bus. We particularly loved that we could sleep with the balcony door open - it was quiet enough for that.

The hotel is spotlessly clean. In typical European style, there is no elevator. So, if you are looking for a big American-style place with a big breakfast buffet, this isn't the place for you.

Tony actually owns 2 hotels that are side by side and we stayed in both of them. One of them was more luxurious - and is priced accordingly - but we honestly couldn't fault the "economy" hotel at all.

I would stay there again, and hope that I will before too long.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

We spent two nights at Hotel Tony's at the end of a 10 day trip around Greece. Tony was great each time we spoke on the phone, ensuring us we'd have a room in the "new" section of the hotel. Upon check-in, Tony wasn't available, but his son helped us to our room, and gave us the overview of the hotel. The room was very modern and very clean, with the nicest bathroom of our entire trip through the country! There was a small kitchenette which we didn't really use because of our short stay, but would be helpful if you were going to be there longer. My only complaint was that we were on the first floor, and it was stuffy without the sliding door open, and it was a bit noisy with the door open. We inquired about A/C (not sure we'd need it) and were told that it could be turned on if we really wanted it, but we felt badly using it, and so got by with the noise, which wasn't too big of a deal. The hotel is in a nice quiet neighborhood, away from the chaos of the tourist section of town, but an easy walk to the sites. It's also only a few blocks from the metro, so it was easy to get to and from the airport. All in all, we enjoyed our stay and would gladly stay there again!

Room Tip: Make sure to request a room in the new section of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

What can I say? Tony is the bomb. I LOVE him and his son Vassili. They were so hospitable. I felt like I was staying at a relative's hotel. That's how I was treated by them. Sometimes Tony was a bit grumpy, but in the way that one's favorite Uncle is grumpy. In all, he was fabulous. There were a couple of days when I couldn't stay at Tony's because he was booked up, and then I was heading to the islands after a work conference. On both of those days, Tony said I could just leave my luggage with him using the Hotel as a base (and use the internet....AND have Vassili making me cups of tea) when I wasn't even STAYING in the hotel anymore! How's that for hospitality? It's true...the rooms typically don't have much in the way of views, but the rooms I stayed in were renovated, completely brand new and clean. They were excellent. And the shower facilities were fantastic compared with other hotels I'd stayed in in Greece. I felt like I could have a proper shower with good water pressure, and the shower heads worked and were clean and modern.

Also, I should mention, that on 3 nights, me and my work colleague and her husband stayed in a 4 bed room, at the 3 bed price. The night before they came though, I had the SAME room but for the 1 person price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newly renovated part.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

Me and my partner stayed at the not renovated side of the hotel. It was for a very reasonable price considering the location, so we didn't expect much. What we got was a room that pretty much only fit a bed with a tiny balcony (that was the only window too) facing a tight inner courtyard. Strangely the bathroom was bigger than the bedroom. No shower curtain though. We ended up putting our bags in the bathroom.

As said, location is great. The owner, Tony, and his son are friendly and helpful. Only thing I didn't appreciate was that they laughed at my question about the "missing" remote for the a/c. No I didn't want it for cooling, I wanted it for heating as it was really cold to shower in the enormous bathroom in early June! Apparently they only provide it in summer. Also, there's renovation going on, so it gets a bit noisy at times.

Now, my parents stayed in the new side and had absolutely no complaints. I didn't get to see it, but they were very pleased. Obviously the price was +20 EUR to ours,but still seemed like a good deal.

The reservation was a bit strange, there's no internet booking. It all seemed a bit dodgy, but I can say these are honest people, so don't worry about it.

Room Tip: Get the more expensive option
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Tony? Share your experiences!