“Chocolate Martini..Watermelon Martini..need I say more!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of SALA Samui Resort And Spa

You added SALA Samui Resort And Spa to your Saves list
SALA Samui Resort And Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   10/9 Moo 5, Baan Plai Laem, Choeng Mon, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Choeng Mon
4.5 of 5 stars 1,366 Reviews
London
“Chocolate Martini..Watermelon Martini..need I say more!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Sala Samui was our choice based on the reviews here for 2 weeks at the end of June 2009.

Accommodation - We stayed in the 'Balcony Deluxe' room, number 43 – these are all located on the 1st floor above one of the pool villas. The room is not very large, but has a large out door bathroom and a large balcony with a double day bed – which is very nice for a relaxing unwind in the shade. The bathroom took some getting used to as unless you shut the curtains anyone can see you in there – once mastered it works very well. Yes you get the odd ant, flying thing in there – but not many and it does feel very spacious. The only criticism of the bathroom is the plastic roof makes the room very hot when the sun hits it and the bath takes an age to empty after someone has finished showering – we asked three times for this to be checked and assume it was checked and this was normal – it just needs a better flow away, given it is on the 1st floor this seems odd.

The room has a hair dryer, safe, normal range of amenities and we found the complementary soap / shower gel excellent. They leave 2 bottles of water, if you use them in the morning they actually leave you two more in the evening, so you then don't’ need to worry about buying water.

The evening turn down service includes a small gift, plus freshen up of the room, which is nice as we had a habit of making it a mess very quickly.

Staff and Restaurants – Breakfast is ‘ala carte’, with a good selection and the eggs are a rich, deep yellow – very fresh. Normal buffet for some things and for once really fresh juice on tap. We really liked the drinks at breakfast – fresh coffee, chocolate or a range of teas, all served fresh on demand. The staff are friendly and very helpful, not sure why some people think they are after tips, I saw no evidence of this during the two weeks we were there. Any bill has the option to add a tip if you want.

Lunch and evening meals at the Sala Samui were very good, Thai or European, with a wide selection of dishes. Yes it is more money than if you walk down the beach, but we did not think it was very expensive given the standard of the food and the service you receive. The Tuna Salad and Thai Burger were excellent for example. The evening has the option for ‘ala carte’ or on certain evenings pre-set menus which on Wednesday’s include a very good Thai music and dancing night, accompanied by a BQ.

Mosquito’s – Like the rest of Asia there are these annoying creatures. The resort fogs the vegetation every Wednesday with rape seed oil to help reduce them, we were both bitten in the bar as it is open to the elements and they start biting right on happy hour 5pm. Covering up obvious areas and using sprays resulted in 100% protection. As we were staying on the 1st Floor this also helped to reduce the amount of Mosquito’s around the room. The turn down service every evening also includes a spray to kill any in the room and on the balcony.

Wider Area – The small town has a 7-11 for snacks and sun screen, a pharmacy for a good range of toiletries / anti mosquito sprays and medicine. Tailors by the dozen if that is your thing, few bars and restaurants on the front and a better selection on the beach. Honey’s at the far end offers good Thai food even if the service could be better at times. Other reviews have all mentioned Jonno’s (Orange bar – can’t miss it) at the front of the Sala Samui resort and this is worth a visit. We also spent a considerable amount of time at Pangae (Italian restaurant) – Happy Hour at 6pm and the bar lady was very pleasant and hospitable.

Fisherman's Village in Bophut has a plethora of Thai, Italian, Mexican, European & Indian restaurants – a decent restaurant is the Happy Elephant (don’t order the BQ Squid too dry). The Red Thai Curry with Duck is recommended. Well worth a visit as very attractive as it retains the original fisherman homes. We got the Sala Samui private driver as quite often it can be the same price as the local taxi’s.

Conclusion - Excellent hotel, good value for money, quiet and peaceful without being out of it. Good for adults, OK for children.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

My husband and I stayed her for 7 nights in Jun 09 and just loved it. The resort is beautiful and the pools wonderful. We stayed in a balcony room and loved the huge daybed with the fan over it. There's not a lot to do except swim, laze on the daybeds facing the beach and wander up the beach for lunch and dinner. We only had breakfast at the resort because there are lots of good places to eat along the beach and out in the street, (The Orchid was great). Found lots of great places for massages. The staff were all really friendly, the rooms lovely and clean and we came away feeling completly refreshed. Went into Chaweng a few times for shopping but were glad we didn't stay there (the resort is only a short taxi ride from Chaweng). Hired a taxi for half a day and there was plenty to see including the Big Buddha. Be careful of slipping on the tiles in the bathroom, they get very slippery when wet. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

I don't have anything much to add to other reviews but Sala was just beautiful. Our pool villa was private and gorgeous, the pools in the resort were also outstanding. The location is good - Cheong Mon beach is a nice stretch of sand and there are other resturants if you want to venture out and not just eat in the hotel. Not too far to Chaweng if you want a change of scenery but we didn't really feel that much need. The service was extremely friendly.

Despite being a mozzie-magnet I didn't get bitten once. Could have been luck but I think they have a number of measures to keep the bugs away.

The food in the restaurant was outstanding - I think we ate there four out of five nights because we were too lazy and chilled out to leave the resort.

I would o back in a flash.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

Stayed at Sala Samui for 6 nights as part of our honeymoon trip (spent other 4 nights at Six Senses Hideaway). I have to say it is the best hotel we have ever stayed in. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel as if we were the only guests staying there, such was the level of attention each staff member pays you. As we checked in we were offered a refreshing cup of lemon grass tea and some cold wet towels which was a lovely touch. The rooms were beautiful ( we went for a pool villa), which had an outdoor shower, it's own little pool and chill out area to read and relax in. The hotel has two main pools, both of which are next to the beach. They are both infiinity pools, one with a large pond that surrounds it like a moat (yes it has fish and tadpoles in it!). One pool is great for swimming in and doing lengths, the other is more suitable for just relaxing in and enjoying the views to the beach.

The restaurant food is good and there is an extensive choice to suit all tastes. Breakfast options are especially varied. You can pretty much order anything you want! Nothing is too much trouble. Price wise it is reasonable too. Ok, not as cheap as in town but for a 5 star hotel you never feel like you are being ripped off (unlike at Six Senses). My only advice is steer clear of the wine unless you have deep pockets as wine is very expensive in Thailand.

Also, Sala has a happy hour from 5 to 6 when all drinks are half price. They do lovely fresh cocktails which you can get for about 140 BHT at this time - good value I reckon.

The best thing about Sala Samui though is the staff. I know Thai people in genreal are very friendly and hospitable but the level of service here was never short of superb.

The only gripe (and I think this is common amongst most of the hotels) is the 10% service added to EVERYTHING. Even if you just buy a glass of coke - yep, 10% on top! The probelm with this is we then felt we couldn't afford to tip as we had already paid an extra 10% on everything. Shame as some of the staff did deserve it. I just hope the hotel ditributes this payment fairly.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

From the moment we were picked up at the airport till the moment that we were dropped off back at the airport we were taken care of in every possible way you can imagine and others which we did not. From the bouquet of roses for my wife on arrival through the floral arrangements on the bed, the bathroom extra with the scent of your choice, the fruit oh the fruit... the staff as helpful and unimposing as you can imagine yet they are always there one step ahead of what you think you may require.

We had the honeymoon villa two floors of luxury, a great garden with a lovely private pool, the spa was excellent the meals delicious the atmosphere quiet and very personal.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
wilmslow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

My friend and I stayed here for 8 nights, having decided we wanted a girlie spa break away from our other halves.

The weather was fantastic, sunny skies every day. I was worried from reading other reviews about the mosquitoes. I was really pleased to see there was adequate prevention. I did however buy in a local shop a mosquito net. It was difficult to erect without a four poster bed though to hang the net over. I made do but as soon as the house keeper saw the net she came back to the room and erected it with an elastic type tape and it stayed in place all week. It was well worth buying as my friend decided not to bother and did get bitten slightly. That was in my opinion fantastic service which I didnt expect. I am sure that had I asked the hotel for a net they would have them. The rooms were sprayed regularly though and there were those little machines and candles on the balcony.

The staff were fantastic always polite and really couldnt do enough for you. Included in all purchases was a service charge and tip. However, we did tip at the end of the week the bar, beach and housekeeper. This was because they had been wonderful hosts.

The spa was expensive, on a par with elemis spa prices at home. However, every treatment was worth the money. We also had our hair blow dried a few times. This was very good value and Achaylee the beautician who provided this service was just as good as my hairdresser at home. Yes you could have gone down the road for cheaper treatments which we did on the last day. We had another manicure and pedicure, was it cheap oh yes. Was it enjoyable no it wasnt!

Prior to leaving the resort we had our washing and ironing done for approx £6 for both of us. Bargain and so nice not to come home with a weeks worth of washing.

The hotel did the best food, not cheap but worth every penny. The burger was a totally english thing to eat but after a week of Thai food it was nice to have a non spicey meal. This was prepared so well and tasted fantastic.

We ventured out nearly every night but really just to have a change of scenary. However, we always came back to the hotel to have the last part of the night there. Bo Phut was lovely for food but not a patch on the Sala food. Chewang was not our thing but good for shopping if you like that sort of thing. Busy with lots of bars etc.

One place we did go on the Sunday on Lamai Beach was Beach Republic. A very chilled sunday brunch atmosphere. Great music and a buffet all you can eat and drink, exceptioonal value especially wine which is expensive in Thailand. The day costed just over 800 baht. But there was so much food and drink it made it worthwhile. The DJ was great and the atmoshere really chilled. The sunbeds are all free and there are places to change etc for staying later if you want to.

If you choose the Sala you will not be disappointed. The beach by the way is lovely, grainy sand has been mentioned? Sand near the water was grainy but its raked all day and near perfect so I cant understand that comment on other reviews.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

We have just returned from 9 days at Sala Samui & would go back in a heartbeat. To save an over-long & rambling review here are the key points:

Service: brilliant! From the moment we arrived and were greeted with cool towels and allowed to check in 7 hours early we knew that nothing was ever too much trouble for anyone. I was presented with roses and our bedroom was decorated with petals to mark our honeymoon and whenever I popped to reception I was greeted with a ‘Hello Mrs Berthon’ even though I had booked under my maiden name. Everyone greeted us with the traditional ‘sawasdee-kha’ and bent over backwards to help us. Why have I then marked service as a 4? The only slight comment is that some of the restaurant staff seemed to expect a tip even though service of 10% was on top. I know this is REALLY minor and this only showed up because all other staff were so eager to please regardless.

Venue: it REALLY does look exactly like the photos! The whole hotel is spotlessly clean & maintained right down to staff cutting the hedges with scissors (really!) so they were neat enough. We stayed in the pool villa no 27 and it was gorgeous. We made the most of all pools but did tend to go to the villa in the afternoons to cool down. There was never a problem getting a lounger as most people moved between their rooms and the shared pools/ beach. Food is good but we were only on a B&B basis and there were better value places elsewhere. Had lunch most days at the hotel though and you must try the burger made with Thai fishcake instead of beef – delish!

Facilities: The hotel as well a being beautiful really has a lot to offer. As we were on honeymoon we got a complimentary massage at the spa which was lovely. I then had a foot massage myself which WAS much more expensive than the ones on the beach but cheap compared to UK prices and really was worth it. We used the internet room a bit (to check wedding pics on facebook) and there was never a problem getting on – they also gave you logins for in-room wifi. We also hired one of the drivers for a few hours to take us to Big Buddha and the other temple and he showed us round and gave us lots of local information for 1200 baht -It was brilliant! DVD rental also useful for too hot afternoons and gift shop reasonably priced. We also took the in-house Thai cooking class which was good.

Outside the hotel. Crystal restaurant on the beach is cheap but does great food with friendly staff, Chaweng is a bit tacky but is good for shopping & needs to be done. We also did the snorkelling tour to Kho Tao by speedboat, which was awesome. Finally I know everyone says in their reviews to go to Just Jonnos… but seriously GO TO JUST JONNOS! It’s not the swankiest or most amazing bar by any means (and is V orange!) but Jonno is the loveliest host you could wish to meet as well as being a great source of local info. They also do great light food, play THE BEST music (seriously!) and make the meanest cocktails.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to SALA Samui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!