We have just returned from a 10 night stay at the Sala Samui resort. We stayed in a pool Villa, and it was well worth the extra cost.
The villa was large and roomy, with a massive double bed. There was a double wardrobe and plenty of drawer space. There was a flat screen TV and DVD player, which we never needed, but is there if you want it. The outside bathroom was large with a very big bath( took about half an hour to fill it!), separate shower, which was excellent. The toilet was blocked upon arrival, but was unblocked within 5 minutes. We were later given a bottle of sparkling wine and passion fruit as an apology for the inconvenience. The pool was brilliant and was kept clean throughout our stay. The only downside to our villa was that we were on the central walkway down to the beach, so we didn't feel as private as we would have liked. The path was lined with pine trees, which whenever there was a gust of wind, which was quite regular, we got covered on leaves!
The food is absolutely fabulous. Breakfast had everything you could possibly need. There is a smoothie bar which you can order fresh smoothies from a menu or choose your own mix. There is a menu with hot food, all of which were delicious -would recommend the French toast with apples, raisins and maple syrup! There is a also a buffet with pastries, cold meats, fresh fruit, hot Thai food, toast, salad and an egg counter where you can order omelettes. Evening meal was also brilliant, where you choose from the menu. There is a Thai buffet on a Thursday, which is more expensive, but it is worth it to get to try all different Thai flavours. We ordered room service on a couple of nights, and that was of the same standard as you would expect in the restaurant. We did use the Italian restaurant one night, and even though it was good, there isn't much choice.
We did the Thai cooking class (over 3000 baht for a couple), and it was brilliant. Our chef was really patient (which he needed to be!!). We had to choose four meals we wanted to cook. All the ingredients are laid out ready when you arrive. The class lasts about 2 hours, and the good news is you get to eat everything you have cooked! Would definitely recommend it.
We didn't use the pools in the resort as we had our own, but they looked good, always clean and always had plenty of people using them.
The beach is a bit of a disappointment. It is a public beach, so has nothing to do with Sala Samui. There are local dogs roaming about and as a consequence you have to watch out for dog poo -which isn't great! There is also a bit of litter, not too much, but could be cleaner.
We did a half day trip around the island, which is well worth doing. We booked this through our rep and was the usual cost of trips. Our guide -Mr Wang was brilliant, really enthusiastic about his subject!
We had a complimentary massage, which we used on the day before we leaved. It covers an hour Thia massage. I asked for a medium massage, but sure I got the hard, as it was an hour of torture! My partner loved his though, so think I'm just soft!
Mon Choeng itself is quite good, with a few clothes shops and a couple of supermarkets. There seemed to be plenty of places to eat, but the food at Sala was so good, we didn't try outside. We had to buy emergency stuff when we arrived as our cases didn't turn up and we managed to get all the essentials- luckily our cases arrived the next day! The bathroom contains a toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, shower gel, moisturiser and soap, so we didn't need to buy any of that stuff, which helped!
The weather wasn't too bad considering we went in monsoon season! There was quite a bit of cloud and we had rain on a couple of afternoons, which lasted for a few hours, but there was still plenty of sun!
The biggest plus for Sala Samui resort as mentioned in previous reviews is the staff. They are all excellent. They can't do enough for you and are all really attentive and friendly. They are a credit to the resort. Would definitely recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SALA Samui Resort and Spa is a stunning deluxe pool villa resort on Koh Samui island, featuring private swimming pools in 53 out of 69 total villas and suites.At SALA Samui, a comfortable, relaxing ambiance is created by a harmonious blend of traditional Thai architecture with modern facilities and amenities. Friendly, well-trained staff pamper guests with professional, personalized service.Located on pristine Choeng Mon beach on the northeast corner of Koh Samui island, SALA Samui is just 15 minutes from the Samui airport, 20 minutes from Bo Phut's quaint Fisherman's Village, and only 15 minutes from Chaweng Beach shopping and nightlife. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Splendia, Odigeo, Asiatravel.com Holdings, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Agoda, Ctrip TA and Jetsetter so you can book your SALA Samui Resort And Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sala Samui Resort And Hotel Koh Samui
- Sala Samui Hotel
- SALA Samui Resort And Spa Ko Samui/Choeng Mon