“honeymoon paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of SALA Samui Resort And Spa

You added SALA Samui Resort And Spa to your Saves list
SALA Samui Resort And Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   10/9 Moo 5, Baan Plai Laem, Choeng Mon, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Choeng Mon
Bristol, United Kingdom
“honeymoon paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This was the last stop on our honeymoon and was the 7 nights were absolutely perfect. We had no glitches from the moment we arrived till we left. We went for the pool villa which is well worth it. yes there isn't a lot of space in the room but was amble for us. We ate out a lot and also ate in the hotel restaurant. yes the food and drink is expensive but you do really get what you pay for. I would strongly recommend the thai night and also the fish night on the beach. absolute heaven. All the staff at Sala were great from the cleaners to the bar staff and restaurant. Thank yo so much Sala!!
the only thing I think the hotel would benefit from is to make a child resort. the last thing you want are screaming kids round the pool (personal preference) AC units in the room very loud

Room Tip: go for the pool villas
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
SALA_Samui_GM, General Manager at SALA Samui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear "t0by86",

Thank you very much for your excellent review of SALA Samui. The "fish on beach" evening is as you say a truly wonderful and very romantic evening, and for the the Thai night, we recommend advance bookings, as it is constantly sold out to the last seat.
With regards to children, duiring school holiday periods there can be some, but normally we are able to cater for both, and as we have one large "adults only" area by the lap pool, there is normally never any problems. We are pleased to read that you fully enjoyed your stay with us, and on behalf of the entire team, we would be delighted to welcome you back !

SALA Samui Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

After 5 weeks travelling through Eastern Europe we stopped in Sala Resort for rest
and relaxation for 6 days before flying home to Australia ...what a paradise our first time to Thailand and we just loved it. Sala had everything we wanted great location with shops and restaurants in walking distance. All the staff at Sala were fantastic -Amanda we miss your smile every morning at breakfast and asking us how we were and what did we do ...Our Garden Villa 46 was fantastic we slept so well peaceful and quiet ...loved the pool area .Thanks for a great stay we are sorry we couldn't stay longer we didn't want to leave but we will be back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
SALA_Samui_GM, General Manager at SALA Samui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear signature "TheLaskers",

Thank you very much for your positive review, and we are delighted to read that you could have stayed longer... !
On behalf of the entire team, we would be delighted to welcome you back,

Kind regards,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My Wife and I had 2 nights in Bangkok and 6 nights at Sala, we both really wish we had went straight to Sala.

The resort had a Zen like calm across the whole property. the staff were fantastic at all times, so friendly and helpful, they couldnt do enough for you. The quality of the food was brilliant at any time of the day.

We stayed at a Sala Pool villa, it was amazing, your private pool with sun loungers and day bed allowed us to relax in the privacy of our own garden after breakfast.

The 2 daily happy hours was a great touch and certainly made us late for dinner on more than one occassion. We will definitely be back Sala, Koh Samui, and recommended it to a number of our friends.

I can honestly say it was one of the most relaxing and well presented resorts we have ever visisted.

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 29 and got the sun all day at our private pool.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear "Daniel B",

Thank you very much for your positive revierw of SALA Samui, and we are happy to read that "6 days was not enough"..., - we would be delighted to welcome you back on a future stay !
If you would like to give Bangkok another try, I can recommend you sala rattanakosin, our sister property in the the heart of the old city, overlooking the Wat Arun temple, on the shores of the river, and "wall to wall" with the Royal Palace, -a delightful experience.

Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a fantastic 10 day stay at Sala, so much so that we really didn't want to leave.

Our flight from the UK landed around 09:00, I was unsure about going straight to the hotel as I knew that check-in wasn't until 16:00 but we were so tired from the long flight we took the 15 minute taxi ride there anyway (even if we would have to sit at reception until our room was ready). It turns out I had nothing to worry about as the lovely front desk staff checked us in straight away and we were given our welcome drink and were personally greeted by the manager Dick.

Room:
After checking in we were taken for a tour to our room, where we were shown how to use the safe, were told about the different choices of pillows/soap and were given complimentary lychees and dried fruit and nuts (which were replenished daily). We booked a deluxe balcony room (without the private pool as we knew we would be more likely to use the resort pools anyway). The room was perfect; with a large bed, flat screen tv (with satellite channels), desk, chair and mini bar (charges apply). Adjacent to the bedroom, separated by a large glass rotating door, is the bathroom where there is a large circular bath and rainfall shower. The wardrobe is also here with ample hanging space and drawers. Separated from the bathroom by a curtain is the balcony which holds a large day bed, perfect for lounging on in the evenings.

Housekeeping came twice daily, once in the morning and then once for turn down in the evening. During turn down the mosquito coil on the balcony, as well as the candle in the room would be lit.

Restaurants:
I can't comment on the Italian restaurant (Pangaea) as we only wanted to try Thai food during our stay but we did visit the beach restaurant every day for breakfast and also had dinner here one evening. For breakfast you can either choose from the menu (options include full English, eggs Benedict, waffles and pancakes etc.) as well as a buffet offering yoghurts, cereal, fruit, freshly made juice etc.
For dinner at the beach restaurant we chose to have the set menu which was just over 900baht per person, we received a starter as well as about 5 other dishes for main and a selection of Thai deserts, all of which was delicious!

Pool/beach:
The pool and beach areas are beautiful with ample sun loungers (this is the first resort I've been to where you haven't had to get up at the crack of dawn to ensure a lounger!) Although the sea directly in front of the hotel is a little rocky if you walk 20 metres to the right, in front of the restaurants, the sand is lovely and soft underfoot.

Location:
Sala is located on Choeng Mon beach, a relatively quiet area compared to nearby Chaweng and Bo Phut. There are quite a few restaurants nearby (I recommend Crystals on the beach and Longtable on the road). There is a taxi rank right outside the hotels entrance with a list of prices (300 baht to Chaweng and Fishermans village and 400 to the airport).

Activities:
We booked 3 activities through the hotel (which we don't usually do as they generally turn out more expensive than booking direct but the activities seemed fairly priced). The first activity we booked was the Animal Show at Namuang Safari Park, we were picked up at our hotel by the safari park mini bus (also collected a few other passengers from other hotels on the way). The second activity we booked was the 8 hour tour of the island with a private driver, we thought this might be a driver from an outsourced company but it was with Sing, one of the lovely Sala staff. Sing suggested areas of interest and drove us to the locations while he waited for us. He also suggested a quaint little beach side restaurant in the south of the island for lunch which we never would have chosen ourselves but were so happy with it! We were also given cold flannels (very much appreciated in the heat) and cold drinks. The final activity booked was the Thai cooking class run by one of the restaurant chefs (just over 3000 baht for 2 people). You choose 4 dishes from the menu (one from each course) and are shown how to prepare and cook the food from scratch. The class is about 1 1/2 hours long and at the end you get to enjoy your hard work (a soft drink/mocktail is also included) and are given an apron and certificate to show off back home.

I hope my review has done the hotel justice, I really can't praise every single staff member enough. They truly go out of their way to make sure you have a memorable experience. I normally always say I will return to a hotel if I've enjoyed it but in this instance I really would return tomorrow if I could! Thank you Sala.

Dear signature "illek1",

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a long, detailed and positive review of your recent stay at SALA Samui !

We are delighted to read the you fully enjoyed your stay, and we would be delighted to welcome you back !

Essex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed here for 6 nights as part of our honeymoon and our only regret is that we didn't stay longer!! The service was first class from the moment we arrived - we were given a bouquet of flowers when checking in and later had wine and chocolates delivered to our room. We stayed in a deluxe balcony room which was lovely (the bed is possibly the most comfortable I've ever slept in!) but we do wish we had gone for the Garden Pool Villa as we saw the pools for the other rooms and were incredibly jealous! However, this was not really a problem as the hotel has two main pools which are both beautiful and not overcrowded or busy as every other hotel I've experienced before. The beach is also beautiful and the water is lovely and warm - the only issue is it was very rocky in the water which made it hard to walk but we found that slightly further up the beach it was less rocky and more sandy. The Sala restaurant was lovely also - even though it was more expensive than other restaurants in the town, I'd say the standard of the food was worth the extra money. Every single member of staff at the hotel was brilliant and extremely friendly. I also loved the location of the hotel, outside of the busy Chaweng but only a short 300 Baht taxi ride away if you wanted to visit. Would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone looking to stay in Koh Samui and we will hopefully be returning at some point in the future!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
SALA_Samui_GM, General Manager at SALA Samui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Lisa B,

Thank you very much for your fabulous review of SALA Samui ! On behalf of the entire team, we would be delighted to welcome you back on a future stay !

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I just want to say that I don't really do reviews of hotels so much, but the SALA really deserves my reviews!
Me and my boyfriend stayed at the SALA for 5 nights during my Birthday week. I must say that I have stayed at countless 5 stars hotels around the world. So far, this place is on one of my best hotels top list! Everythig was so amazing. When we first got there early in the morning (before the usually check-in time), they gave us complimentary breakfast while waiting to check-in. ALL the staff were so polite and friendly. Even the gardeners stopped what they were doing to say hi and "wai" us. Such a traditional Thai friendliness that a lot of hotels in Thailand are missing. Breakfast was AMAZING! Such a variety, with a la carte menu and buffet line.
When it was my birthday, all the staff knew about this and said happy Birthday to me all day. It was great. Such a memorable experience. Well done SALA!

Dear signature "Pinta P"

Khob Khun Krub !

Thank you very much for your lovely review, and on behalf of the entire team, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us !

Farnborough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

This review is overdue as we stayed here in February. I have been trying to decide between rating this five or four ( wish there was a 4.5 ) and somehow lost the momentum. The staff are definitely five. Also good to see the manager Dick present and taking time to speak to his guests. The breakfast are the best we have had, apart from Dubai with a really good time slot..I think you could eat there up to 11.00. You had a choice of everything, plus an egg chef and you could also order from the menu. All kinds of teas, coffees, smoothie bar juices etc. The breakfast is set around the lovely pool and overlooking the beach. We would go straight to the beach from breakfast where the lovely staff always laid out your sun bed, Water was frequently brought round to you. The hotel is at the end of the beach so perfectly placed. We stayed in a Sala Pool Villa, It was very nice, it was not luxurious and storage is limited. It would have been nice to lay round our pool after lunch but we had no sun at that time of day. This Hotel is ideally placed. On the beach there is nothing to the left of you and around ten different bars and eating places along the stretch to the right. If you go out of the front gates and turn left there is the village on your doorstep with untold number of restaurants.. a couple of supermarkets and chemists and money exchange.. In the village you could eat lunch with wine and beer for approx. £10 per couple. We tended to walk to the village every other lunch time and eat in the hotel restaurant most other days as we enjoyed eating overlooking the pool and beach. The hotel is also very near the fisherman's village which is an experience. We took a cab there a few nights but avoided the busy Friday nights. . It was nice to wander around the shops, bars and restaurants. In the other direction is Chaweng beach and village which is very busy and lively. And quite an experience.! I can't quite put my finger on why I didn't give this hotel five. We paid a premium to stay here but you will also pay a premium to eat and drink in the hotel especially if you like wine. The menu and bar prices are on their website but to that is added service charge and taxes.
Some points for the ladies. The hairdryer in the room is small and not powerful so if you can, take your own. You will not need high heels. The only bar in the hotel is on sand, When you go out the pavements are very uneven and broken. No Nail gel needed as to have yiour nails redone in the village is mega cheap!! Oh and take lots of hangers. Stock up with wine or champagne at duty free.as there is a fridge in your room. Champagne is ultra expensive even in the supermarkets. .
A general point re koh Samui,. If you want to eat out where you don't question the hygiene you will pay UK gastro pub prices.

Room Tip: You do not need to splurge on a pool villa, The hotel beach and pool are lovely.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Lozza7,

Thank you very much for your extensive and very positive review ! I've carefully read your comments, and I believe that what might have created your review doubts is our style and approach. The resort is not "palatial" but rather understated luxury and elegance, and our staff are very friendly, but we try to keep an inobtrusive service level. Just FYI, we are currently exchanging the hairdriers for more powerful ones, and the breakfast is actually all day. The buffet is removed at 11, but the a la carte breakfast menu is available all day long...and if you want to have it served in the privacy of your room / villa, there is no extra charge for it.
Overall, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we would be delighted to welcome you back !

SALA Samui Resort & Spa

Been to SALA Samui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!