“Wonderful time in Akaryn Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Akaryn Resort & Spa

You added Akaryn Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Akaryn Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   63/182 Moo 5, Hanuman Bay, Choeng Mon, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Choeng Mon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Wonderful time in Akaryn Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We have a wonderful vacations on Akaryn. It's a small luxury resort with a great symbiotic relation with the surrounding nature. The pools are small but really beautiful. They have an exclusive beach with beautiful views, but it's a bit rocky, so you need to use some water shoes.

The service was very good with very friendly and attentive staff. We really appreciate the service not only for the quality but also because the genuine smile and friendly nature of the Thai people.

The rooms were beautiful with a simple decoration. We booked a sea view suit with the small pool outside. In my opinion they should not block the view with the bamboo, i understand the reasons and other clients have other opinion. You can keep the privacy on your room and have the great view to the beach from the balcony.

The food was great, Ochos it was a good surprise, an amazing steakhouse with really good steaks and a good selection of wines. The price its a bit high but its what you can expect from a 5 stars resort in any place.

The bar has really great cocktails, not just a mix of drinks. To improve i just recommend a better selection of teas in the menu and also the fresh juice in the breakfast and from the menu.

Just few details to improve, but overall, we had a wonderful stay and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a romantic and relaxing luxurious resort in Koh Samui.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
RMChristopheGestin, Manager at Akaryn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor, it means a lot to us. The team is very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay here in Samui. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed our beach and pool area. Indeed the sea is rocky but we offer special shoes for in the water and also some snorkeling equipment so you can go and discover our artificial coral reef. We have put some bamboo fences around the rooms so that the guests can enjoy the privacy of the room at any time. Our restaurant Ochos is the only steakhouse on the island offering good and fresh products. The steak can be very well accompanied by our wide selection of wine. Thank you for choosing AKARYN and we will definitely take your feedback into consideration. We would be more than happy welcoming you back in the near future.

If you or any of your friends are planning on coming back to AKARYN or any of our AHMS Hotels please contact me directly. We provide better rates and benefits for all guests who contact me personally on this email rm.asm@akaryn.com.

Christophe Gestin, Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
San Jose, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This place is for couples...and not so fun for kids as there are mainly couples lounging around together who will give your kids a dirty look for playing at the pool loudly. The hotel is super quiet. There is not loud night life in the area. It's just you and the sky/stars.
The room:
So each villa is just breathtaking. It's like a little circular hut with your own private mini pool in front. Private meaning for you only. But if you have a villa in the walk way people walking by can see you. The mini pool has a jacuzzi button too. Some cons for my room 216. My mini pool happen to be next to the villa next to and their ac was blowing hot air onto my pool (and me). I looked and it just happened to be for this villa. Also, my jacuzzi button did not work. I saw the bell hop try to turn it on for me when we dropped off our bags, but then he just left. I told the reception about it, and came back later in the day to find it still not working. I was really upset. The manager had them manually turn it on for me and comped me airport travel and a couples thirty minutes massage (without me asking), which made me feel better and that is why there is still a 5 star review.
OK back to the room. Inside we felt like it we were in a tiny hut in the middle of the jungle. It was so beautiful. The bathroom is also follows the theme and is separated by a curtain. The toilet is off on it's own and I didn't quite understand that design. The shower has two types: one rain shower, and another regular shower head. The shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion smelled like lemongrass which was nice, and helpful as mosquitos don't like the smell of lemongrass so I slathered that on. There are bugs in the room at times (I found a cockroach, a gecko and mosquitos). The staff would come collect the cockroach and there are bug repellent incense coils to burn. I put those right in front of my door. After being bit in the face many times, I sprayed mosquito repellent around my door and was bite free the next evening. There are cotton swabs, cotton balls and tissues also available. You can request toothbrush, toothpaste (terrible flavor) and razor from reception. There are many light buttons for whatever mood you're in. There is a mini bar. And my favorite: all the FREE DRINKING you can drink. They will keep refilling it for you. But they're in glass bottles. They give you two in the bathroom, two on the coffee table. They also give you free water at the bars and restaurants. The glassware is not cleaned as well. I poured beer into one and the next day there was some residue of beer on it in the clean area. There is also free coffee and tea, accompanied by a coffee maker. There is a bottle opener for wine and beer. There are flip flops for you to use and a beach bag. Safe is available. And lots of space for you to put your luggage. The bed is sooooo comfortable and I want to buy their giant pillows for my home. There is a fan if you want to open your windows and turn off the ac. TV has many channels but only one in Thai. And they bring you some fresh fruit when you arrive to your room.
The Restaurants:
They have ads boasting their best steaks and best pizza on the island. I can't vouch for the steak, but after swimming for an hour in the pool I tried the brick oven pizza and it was amazing. The free breakfast is also delicious. You arrive and they give you a menu (which is the same everyday) with many selections from western omelets to chinese porridge, all made to order so you can customize it. While you wait they bring you whatever drink you want and a rack of fruits, pastries and desserts. It's very beautiful, everyone gets the same one, but it's different everyday. You can eat as much as you want. And there is a beautiful view. Be careful if you sit under the tree there are ants that will bite you. Its got the best view with shade, but no one sits there after the first day!
The pool/beach:
There are three pools and some sparse lounge chairs. You should claim your lounging area before breakfast if you're going to be there after breakfast. There are a bunch of lounge chairs for the beach and umbrellas. If you go out too early before they set them up, someone will run over and set it up for you. There is a kayak you can use for free. There are blue beach towels on the lounge chairs and in your room, or if you ask for one. It's a private beach so no one harassing you while you're there, and you can have food brought to you although you may have to go up to the restaurant to order it.
The service:
The service here is incredible. Although I had some hiccups during my stay I still give them five stars because they handled each hiccup gracefully. Seriously, every staff member is super nice.

Room Tip: Free water all over the hotel so no need to buy any. If you're staying for a few days, I would...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
RMChristopheGestin, Manager at Akaryn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review on Tripadvisor, it helps a lot. In your review you mention every single detail about the rooms and the restaurants. We are very happy that you enjoyed that much your stay and the facilities that we offer. We are very proud of the villas that we offer, they are very spacious and well designed and they offer privacy. The pool area is very relaxing there are indeed not a lot of children therefore you can relax around the pool or at the beach area. Furthermore we have two restaurants. Ochos is our famous steakhouse with fresh and good quality products. After that you have the edge restaurant who has several types of cuisines. We offer thai cuisine, western cuisine and at last our famous Italian cuisine with our famous home made wood oven pizzas. It was an honor to have you here and it would be more than a pleasure welcoming you back in Samui.

Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We enjoyed our stay on the Akaryn very much! The hotel consists of a number of suites/villas - most/all with their own little garden with a small, nice pool. The garden is sorrounded by bushes, so you are perfectly able to enjoy time in a private sphere. We lived in a "Pool Suite", and had a wonderful, clean, modern and comfortable room on 80 squaremeters. We didnt have hot water during the stay though (we didnt complain, as we actually didnt need it - cold showers proved to be nice after a day in the sun :-). The minibar is very expensive, and we didnt use this because of this.

The hotel staff is very very friendly and service minded. And there is lots of staff to handle things. Most key staff members speak very good english. Kudos!

The hotel has a small gym with high quality equipment. It is suitable only for cardio workouts, and not for bodybuilding (no free weights).

The hotel has a large pool/bar/restaurant area, that is very comfortable and relaxing, with many nice sunbeds. The perfect place to relax and enjoy a wonderful atmosphere while looking at the beach/sea. The prices in the bar are way too high though. A Singha beer (330 ml) is around 170 baht, and a bottle of water (750 ml) is 310 baht(!). It seems absurd, as you get ad libitum complimentary water on your room.

The hotel has three high quality restaurants. The breakfast is comparable to gourmet standards, and you can have anything from oatmeal and boiled eggs, to advanced thai dishes and eggs benedict. Everything is styled beautifully by the chef and staff. For lunch/dinner you can choose from the restaurant, the pizzeria or the steak house. We had the Wagyu steak one nigth, which were absolutely perfect (and reasonably priced - 2700 baht for 300g). We also tried the Wagyu burger for lunch, which was amazing. The pizzas also have very high standards. The restaurant (all of them) prices are high, but not completely outrageus like the bar - and you do get very high quality!

All in all - a wonderful stay. Bar and restaurant prices are very high, so take this into account.

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very proud of our villas that are indeed very spacious, well designed and private. Furthermore the pool is indeed a place to relax and the staff is always ready to help you to make the best of your stay. We offer two restaurants at our resort. We have our famous steakhouse Ochos with fresh and good product quality of the ingredients. The Edge restaurant offers three types of cuisines; we have Italian (our famous wood oven made pizzas), Thai cuisine and western cuisine. Regarding the prices of our products, we are situated in a 5 star resort where the prices will be higher than maybe other hotels. After that it is all about the overall experience, having a beer with a beautiful setting and relaxing atmosphere is more worth it. Therefore the prices are a little higher than other resorts. Thank you for taking your time and we would be more than pleased welcoming you back in Samui.

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

This hotel has many good sides. The overall service is very efficient, the rooms are big and clean, it is in a very quiet location, the beds are very comfortable with great satin sheets, the food is excellent, the breakfast is not a buffet but served to your table, the staff is friendly but good hotel make the difference with details and I was a bit disappointed with the details !

The prices. Before all, I live in Thailand. I know the overall prices and understand that it will be more expensive in a hotel than somewhere else but come on … why super-overprice everything ? A transfer of not even 5km from the airport is charged 700THB ! To go back to the airport, I booked a taxi outside and had the same Fortuner as the hotel and paid 300THB for the 7 minutes trip through the shortcut, which is already a good price.

Drinks at the bar are just crazy. A small Singha beer at 171THB (including taxes) … come on ! Same comment for the wine at the restaurant. Not affordable !

The beach. I know, it is not your fault but the sand is just little stones and you cannot even go into the water, too many sharp stones. They lend you shoes on the beach to be able to walk without cutting your feet into pieces.
One thing which you can do better is the comfort of your deck chairs. Not even a little mattress. I could stay not more than 5 minutes and left !

Security. In front of the shower … a light ! How dangerous (see picture). One step on the walkway without any light. During the night it is invisible and I fell ! (see picture). When sliding my entrance door, I left half of a finger between the handle and the wall (see picture)

Dear valued guest,

Many thanks for taking your time to write a review on Tripadvisor. The team is happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very sorry to hear that for some details we could not meet your expectations. We are indeed a 5 star resort situated on a very special location. That is the reason that the prices are higher than elsewhere. After that it is all about the overall experience of the product. Our drivers are qualified speak good English therefore the service is of better quality. Regarding the problem of the beach, it is indeed rocky but I would like to remind that we provide special shoes for in the water and some good snorkeling equipment so you can go and discover our artificial coral reef. At the moment we are renovating all the rooms and surroundings and we will therefore take your feedback into consideration to improve the quality of the details. You have not been over picky and we thank you for your feedback. In the hope to see you again so that we can demonstrate the improvements made.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Just returned from a stay at Akaryn with my husband. We requested a beach front pool villa as these looked the nicest from the website and were definitely the most bright and airy of the villas. The resort on a small private bay which is very rare for Samui. The beach might not be the best for swimming but the pool is lovely right by the sand. The restaurant and breakfast were really high quality and the choice was excellent.

The reason I have given 4 stars and not 5 is that the room and garden areas really lacked the attention to detail that we expected. Our room was beautifully furnished but needed to be updated and refreshed in some areas.

Service was friendly and efficient and this is a solid option for a small resort in Samui.

Room Tip: Room 102 has lovely sea view.
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor, it means a lot to us. You have indeed made the right choice by booking a seafront suite, these rooms are bright and have a very nice view. The resort has a private beach where you can relax. Indeed the sea is a little rocky but we provide special shoes for in the water and some snorkelling equipment so that you can discover our artificial coral reef. Thank you for your feedback, we would like to let you know that we are renovating all the rooms and taking care of the gardens, but we take your feedback into serious consideration. We hope welcoming you again soon so that you can see the improvements made.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed at Akaryn on Koh Samui for 9 nights during our honeymoon. We loved it so much that we barely left the place! We wanted a relaxing and luxurious stay, which is exactly what we got. For those of you who are interested, I've put more detail below.

Accommodation: we stayed in a pool villa, which meant we had a lovely 8m pool, a very spacious room with a cool freestanding bath next to the bed. It was very luxurious, very modern. There were a few minor things that could have been fixed, but nothing serious. There was another villa next to us, but generally it felt very private / secluded. We also got a few extras as we were on our honeymoon which was a nice touch.

Food: we ate breakfast, lunch and dinner there most nights. The breakfast was really nice, served on a three tier stand with fruit, cheese and meats etc.. You could then order other things on the a la carte menu which were nice, but not amazing. We mainly ate from the Legend / Edge menu. Everything we had was good, but I felt the Thai dishes, especially the curries, where the best. We love food and overall, we were very happy with what we got. The view from the restaurant was amazing!

Staff: the staff were particularly friendly, very attentive without being too much. There was a few instances when they got our food ordered mixed up, but overall, really nice people.

Beach: there's a small exclusive beach with hotel - it has beautiful views, but it's a bit rocky so it's not great for swimming. They also give you use of their kayaks which was fun.

Gym: they also have a small gym which we used several times. The equipment could do with an update (some of it didn't work well), but wasn't big problem as we spent most of the time by the beach / pool!

Spa: the spa treatments were really good, although not the best that we had and were a little on the expensive side (although they occasionally did promotions which we took advantage of)

Overall, we had a wonderful stay and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a luxurious, relaxing stay on Koh Samui.

Room Tip: The pool villas are more luxurious and secluded if you want more privacy
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
RMChristopheGestin, Manager at Akaryn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on tripadvsior, it means a lot to us.
The team is very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked all the facilities that we offer. We are very proud of our villas they are very spacious and accompanied with an 8m pool, and the rooms are private. The beach is indeed a bit rocky but we offer special shoes for in the water and snorkelling equipment to go and discover our artificial coral reef. The team will always do its utmost best to fulfil all the guests’ wishes and strive to excellent service. It is honour that you have chosen AKARYN for your honeymoon .We would be more than happy welcoming you back in the near future maybe for your one year anniversary …?.

Guangzhou
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I'm a person who loves to relax and be pampered.
Akaryn Resort was the perfect location to spend a wonderful vacation.
Me and my girl friend were surprised to see a wonderful resort in Bophut with its private beach and only 5 mins away from Chaweng.
The staff were friendly and always ready for anything you ask.
We surprisingly received a free upgrade to the suite pool villa, too big for me and my girl friend but perfect to enjoy luxury nights with its private swimming pool.
It is also a family oriented resort as well honey moon type, it can suit both.
I had rent a car so i couldn't experience their limousine services to airport, market or night life area.
We tried the spa which i believe was very special with their honey moon special package.
As well as the Edge restaurant which i believe have the best pizza on the island.
Thank you so much for giving us the best service during our stay.
I'm sending my parents there next month and will be back there for my next vacation 100%

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guests,

Thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor it means a lot. The team is very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. The resort is indeed situated at 10mins from Chaweng and 7mins from the airport. After that the location is very peaceful and permits every guest to relax. We are very proud of our homemade oven pizzas that are indeed the best pizzas on the island. It was a great pleasure to have you at AKARYN. We will take very good care of your parents and we wish you all the love as husband and wife.

Christophe Gestin, Resident Manager

Been to Akaryn Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!