We've just arrived back today from a week at Sugar Ridge in Antigua . We got a really good deal on our room rates from a special offer from Destinology via Travelzoo.
This hotel is absolutely fantastic in all ways. Like another reviewer we got bitten quite alot from sandflies on the various beaches, and not enough DEET on the legs when eating out at night, but even that didn't really infringe on our enjoyment of the holiday, alot of which was down to Sugar Ridge.
We arrived at 5pm in our rental jeep, and were welcomed with a fruit punch, speedy check-in, and a golf buggy up to our room. Our room had a plunge pool (excellent for abating sunburn) and everything about the room was perfect. The bed was (really ridiculously) large and comfortable, the aircon blew out lovely cool air, everything was beautifully clean and well designed, plus there were flowers scattered around on our first day. There is a small fridge (not a minibar, though I think you can ask for one if you really want) in the wardrobes to keep your water (and punch) cool in.
The verandah had great views, and it was lovely to sit on the out-bed and watch the hummingbirds and ghekos going about their business. The bathroom was great, though I could have done with a little more hot water pressure in the shower, though perhaps I'd not been patient enough with the controls...
We cannot fault the staff at this hotel. They were all, without exception, polite, friendly, helpful, and just great. Kevin, Michelle, Shirlene, and the guys at the pool, were among the many staff who made our stay so perfect. The food in both the Sugar Club and Carmichaels was interesting, tasty, and well presented. We'd recommend going up to the Carmichael's infinity pool for sunset.
There was a Management Cocktail Party on the Tuesday night, which was a good opportunitiy to meet the management and ask questions.
I'd recommend this hotel more for couples. I suspect kids over 2 would get bored, because it is all about the peace, quiet, beautiful views, and (for me) rum punches. The Sugar Club also has some really good live music. There was a couple with a young child there when we stayed, and from afar it seemed the hotel was very helpful and attentive to their needs, so I think it is fair to say this hotel is for everyone who wants a blissfully peaceful holiday in Antigua. We saw some other hotels on the island (incluing Sandals) and had a lovely smug feeling that we felt we were staying in the best hotel on the island.
We had a rental car, which meant we missed out on the full Vorn-experience, but did chat with him everynow and again and got some good tips. But the car meant we could see the whole island, from the excellent local beaches (Darkwood, Turner's, and Ffryes - Jolly Beach was too crowded for my liking) to the idyllic Half Moon Bay in the south east of the island, and the historic sites on the island such as Betty's Hope, Devil's Bridge, and Nelson's Dockyard.
This is a fabulous hotel with fantastic staff. We will, without doubt, stay at this hotel again when we next go to Antigua.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Antigua’s newest boutique hotel nestles in a sugar cane-bordered natural hillside with stunning views of the surrounding landscape and the turquoise Caribbean Sea. Designed in contemporary colonial style, rooms have private large verandas, plunge pool and full amenities. An Aveda™ spa provides the latest in holistic therapies; a gym, 3 swimming pools, trendy Sugar Club bar/restaurant and the more formal Carmichael’s, make Sugar Ridge the place to be. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Sugar Ridge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Ridge Hotel Jolly Harbour
- Sugar Ridge Antigua/Jolly Harbour