My husband and I have just returned from 4 nights at Sugar Ridge for our honeymoon. We actually spent 2 weeks on the island – the first week was at Cocobay Resort where we got married. We then went to Galley Bay Resort where we had planned to spend 7 nights for our honeymoon. We did not like Galley Bay, and still do not understand what the fuss is all about at that resort. It gets good reviews, but we really do not see why. After 3 nights there, and not loving it, we decided to find somewhere else. It was our honeymoon after all, and we wanted a good experience! We had actually booked our photographer at Sugar Ridge Resort for the wedding, and he had great things to say about it. I called the resort and Marcia was able to get us 4 nights in a premium suite. Sugar Ridge has 60 units so it is a boutique style resort – which is exactly what we wanted. The property is just gorgeous, WAY above Galley Bay in terms of service, quality, rooms, etc. We were very fortunate to get suite #60 which is the last suite, but has the highest vantage point for views. It was so dreamy up there! It was our little slice of heaven :) Of course you do have to plan your outings well, since it’s not easy to “run back” if you forget something – but the very friendly staff will take you up in a golf cart any time you wish. We generally took the stairs down, and golf carted up :)
We opted for the breakfast option (not all-inclusive), which was perfect because it allowed us to explore nearby local restaurants. The local food on the island is delicious, and there are so many places you can choose from. If you want to go to the beach, the driver Vaughn will take you to any nearby beach you wish and pick you up when you’re ready. We mostly went to the Cocobay beach because it is lovely, and you don’t have to rent chairs there. If you are there, go to Dennis restaurant on the hill – it’s great! We also rented a car a few days to do some exploring. I highly suggest doing this – but if you do, rent a jeep. It’s a bit more expensive, but the roads are terrible and the one day we rented a car we blew a tire. Because the way insurance is set up with the island rentals, you pay for anything under $1,500 in damage. My husband joked that if you’re gonna get in an accident, better make it a good one. We had to pay $100 USD for a new tire which would have never happened had we just stuck to the jeep.
We are SO grateful to Sugar Ridge, Marcia, and the wonderful staff for truly saving our honeymoon. During the last couple days of our stay we were adopted by a little family of kittens. We knew we shouldn’t feed them, but it was hard to deny three hungry babies staring at you. The mama cat, who was just the most darling thing, we named “Sugar”. We let Marcia know about them when we left, and she said they will go to the humane society to get adopted. We hope they find homes because they were such sweet little things.
We highly recommend Sugar Ridge, and would definitely return! THANK YOU SUGAR RIDGE!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Antigua’s newest boutique hotel nestles in a sugar cane-bordered natural hillside with stunning views of the surrounding landscape and the turquoise Caribbean Sea. Designed in contemporary colonial style, rooms have private large verandas, plunge pool and full amenities. An Aveda™ spa provides the latest in holistic therapies; a gym, 3 swimming pools, trendy Sugar Club bar/restaurant and the more formal Carmichael’s, make Sugar Ridge the place to be. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Splendia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Odigeo, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Sugar Ridge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Ridge Hotel Jolly Harbour
- Sugar Ridge Antigua/Jolly Harbour