“Great little escape in Antigua” 4 of 5 stars

Sugar Ridge
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   PO Box 153, Jolly Harbour, Antigua   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Jolly Harbour
Stamford, Connecticut
“Great little escape in Antigua”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

My husband and I visited Sugar Ridge for a quick few day trip from the US. We booked the hotel and flight as a last-minute trip on Expedia.com. We picked Sugar Ridge because it was a quiet, adults-only boutique resort, and overall we were pleased with our stay.

Our room was clean and spacious with high-end finishes. There are 4 rooms in each building, and the buildings are spread out over the property at various elevations, but all with a sea view. We had a room on the upper level, which has a large balcony, but the rooms on the lower-level have a splash pool if you are interested in that. Since the rooms are located on the side of the ridge, there are many steep stairs to climb from your room to anywhere in the resort, so you get a great calf workout. There is a buggy to take you around if you call for it, but it's not always available.

The front desk staff was very friendly and always available to help with anything. Since the property is not on the beach, there is a shuttle schedule to take you to the beach and back. There are a number of nice beaches within a short drive. Jolly Harbour is also close by where many of the sailing trips are available to and from. The staff recommended a shuttle to Shirley’s Heights on Sunday, when most everything else is closed. The trip is about 45 min from the hotel to the other side of the island, but well worth it for the sunset and the BBQ.

As far as amenities, most are located at the Sugar Club. The gym is well-equipped and there are daily classes available. The Aveda Spa was really nice and clean, and we enjoyed massages during our stay. There are two pools, one at the Sugar Club and one at the top of the ridge at Carmichael’s. Both are clean with a lot of area to lounge and relax, and the view from Carmichael’s is amazing.

There are 2 dining options on property at the Sugar Club and Carmichael’s. Breakfast is at Sugar Club with a buffet option or full breakfast menu and the service was pretty good. Lunch is available at both, but Carmichael’s is closed Sunday and Monday. We were told you could order food in the Carmichael’s area regardless, but when we requested it, they said it would take over an hour to deliver from the Sugar Club, so we just walked back down to eat instead. Dinner at Carmichael’s was nice, but quite expensive for what we ordered. The Sugar Club was good for dinner and the bartenders made some great pina coladas, and there is nightly entertainment like kettle drum band. We did not get the all-inclusive because breakfast is already included in your stay, and we planned to go off property for at least one meal per day.

We plan to come back to Antigua for a longer stay someday and would return to Sugar Ridge, but also probably stay a few days at another property on the beach.

524 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Myrtle Beach, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Part of any vacation is the staff- and this staff beats all. There was not one rude or inattentive member of the team.
Positioned high above Jolly Harbour our premium deluxe king was lovely and well appointed.
The balcony pool was no bigger than our bathtub- so don't bother spending extra money for a pool suite. Other rooms faced one of the three property pools. The upper infinity pool was our favorite hangout as it was quiet and perfect for sunsets.
And even though we had to call the front desk for the golf cart to come get us we never waited long for service.
Food at the Sugar Club was good, but Carmichaels, only open for dinner, was the better choice. Great fish, lamb and pork dishes.
Entertainment was also great- from steel drums to local singers and bands- it made us stay and eat at the property.
I visited the spa twice and Chi Chi gave me the best deep tissue massage I have ever had.
Don't book the all- inclusive as there are too many restaurants nearby for lunch and dinner- about ten good ones within five miles of the property.
Many times if the staff was not busy, they drove us to nearby beaches with great local restaurants.
Make sure your package includes breakfast- great buffet and can even select from the menu as well.
Rent a car and drive around the island and you will meet all the wonderfully friendly folks of Antiqua.
Bravo, Sugar Ridge.

Room Tip: Don't spend extra for mini pool on balcony. No bigger than a bathtub- no fooling. But there a...
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

My wife and I managed to get a deal for Sugar Ridge from SecretEsacapes in the UK. Before we arrived I'd emailed the hotel with a few questions and they were always prompt at replying and very polite. The deal we had included breakfast and a room with a plunge pool of our balcony, which was a nice touch. The room was very comfortable and had enough room for us both to potter around, you could tell a lot of effort had been put towards the finer details. The front desk are great at helping you with any questions you may have, they helped us book many of our tours and always seemed happy. The hotel has two swimming pools; one in the central part of the hotel and another further up the hill. The views from the latter are excellent - there's a bar there too so it's very relaxing.

Food wise there are two options - the main restaurant where you have breakfast in the morning or Carmichael's which is up the hill by the pool and has fantastic views. Both restaurants are good but after a while we found the choice to be limited. I would highly recommend exploring some of the other restaurants which are less than 5 minutes walk away. We went to Miracles which has the best lobster I've ever had, Dennis which has a great view and brilliant cocktails. We also went to Perry's Island Pizza which amazing!!

On the whole the service was very good. There's a shuttle bus taking guests to the beach - we had heard some people waiting for up to an hour to be collected...by hey you're in the Caribbean so what's the rush.

We had a great time staying at Sugar Ridge and I'd highly recommend it. If you're feeling adventurous I'd suggest going Bed Breakfast and explorer some of the fabulous restaurants around the island.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I've literally just touched down from a two week stay at Sugar Ridge, one word...stunning! (I'm suffering from serious holiday blues) I was located right up the top by Carmichaels (Room 60) the views are out of this world, every morning you are waking up to lovely turquiose waters and well kept gardens/scenery, it really is breathtaking. Yes, it's a pretty steep walk up to the room but the guys are more than happy to take you up in a golf cart, special shout to Kevin T and Kevin S - I miss you already, if only you were less than 25kg!
Beaches are amazing, I'd highly recommend Turner's Beach over The Nest - just my personal opinion, I found the staff more welcoming and the surroundings a little bit better at Turner's.
I'd also recommend the Wadadli Cats Catameran excursion, great snorkelling/360 tour of the island along with some gorgeous Caribbean food... Ummm!
And lastly but the most important of all are the staff at Sugar Ridge, they are truly amazing, every single person made me feel welcome and went out of their way to make my time at the hotel special, you're an exceptionally talented team. I'd be here all day if i reeled off every single name but to name a few The two Kevin's, Rose, Carleen, Troy, Cordell, Von, O'Neil, Janine, Glaive, Prince, Latoya, Miguel...the list goes on! (apologies for missing anyone)
I just want to say a huge thanks to you all and I'm hping I can make it back for Carnival 2014!
x

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Came to Sugar Ridge for a conference that was being held on another hotel. Arrived a day early to enjoy the hotel with my wife.

The room was beautiful and comfortable. We were lucky and had one with a private pool (highly recommended!)

The highlight of the hotel is the mountain top restaurant Carmichael's and the accompanying infinity pool. My wife and I had dinner at Carmichael's on Friday evening, and it was without a doubt one of the best meals of our life. Highly recommended, even if you are not staying at Sugar Ridge.

The staff at Front Desk was helpful and cheerful. Also, the drivers of the golf carts were friendly and just nice to chat with. But, the wait a the Sugar Club Restaurant was consistently lengthy and the quality of the food supbar. My wife ordered Room Service and was also underwhelmed with the quality.

All in all, it was a very good hotel, but service could really improve.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Keith M, General Manager at Sugar Ridge, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you for your excellent comments concerning your dining experience in Carmichaels which has been highlighted with the team. I was delighted to also read that you were very satisfied with the service you received from the front office staff. However, I was very sorry to read that Sugar Club took the edge off what would have been a great stay. Both food and service at Sugar Club normally get excellent comments and although it is unclear whether you are referring to breakfast, lunch or dinner service, I have discussed your remarks with those concerned in the restaurant and kitchen. Thank you for drawing this to our attention which will help us do better in the future. I hope we will have the pleasure of accommodating you and your wife on another occasion.
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

My sister and I visited Sugar Ridge last week. We were sad to leave. The place is beautiful. What an amazing setting. The view is breathtaking especially from the infinity pool at Carmichaels.

We were on the all-inclusive package so because we are ocean/beach lovers we had a choice to spend our day at turners beach or the nest beach. We mainly went to the nest, its closer, you can walk there in about 20 minutes and you get your lunch and drinks included while you're there. I'm not going to lie the pepperoni pizza at the beach is so yummy with a bucket of beer included with your all inclusive package! Big shout out to Glendon, our quiet but lovable chauffeur :)

In the late afternoon, we usually went to the infinity pool for a drink and to watch the sunset before getting ready for dinner. The staff at Carmichaels were so friendly. We ate dinner there most nights that it was open as it was right beside our room at the very top. It wasn't open one night because of lower occupancy. Thank you Marion, Clifford, & Melissa. You made our dinners fun. :)

At night, we hung out at Sugar Club Bar, Very cool lounge vibe. One night there was a DJ that we danced to reggae/soca (granted it wasn't busy), another night they had an amazing singer Adrienne White - beautiful woman, beautiful voice, and another night they had a band with another spectacular singer. Thanks Kevin T for requesting our fav. song to be sung. Very sweet.

The bar itself was a lot of fun. Prince made our week fun with his great service and laugh. :) Thanks also to Sugar clubs Clayon, Rooster, Jerica And to Front Desk, Timothy, Janine and many others. Great staff. Gym ladies very friendly, great view of the main pools at gym, Thanks everyone, we miss you! The GM Keith also recognizes his staff and had an intimidate cocktail party, everyone invited. We thought that added a very nice touch.

Food: We didn't love breakfast, we ate lunch at the beach and dinner was really tasty, especially at Carmichaels!

Service/Staff: Couldn't ask for much better :)

The Nest Beach: Beach view of the ocean was surreal, very scenic. Its not a huge beach, the sand is granular but we loved it. 3 of the 6 days we practically had the beach to ourselves, the other 3 was full of cruise ship visitors that take over the beach and the bar. We didn't mind it was fun either way.

Infiniti Pool - Sweet!

CONS:

Bugs - For my sister and I were the bugs. We were eaten alive. Make sure you bring bug spray, we forgot to put it on first night and our blood was sweet. My sister received a ton of sun fly bites on her legs, the little knats you can't see and the mosquitos are bad as well. Just make sure you wear repellent after 5 pm and you will be okay.

Beach - No fault of the hotel, but if you are beach lovers, it does get to be a bit of a hassle but nothing to ruin the trip.

Hills - If you’re at the top, its pretty hard to walk all the way up, we mostly got a cart and it was no problem. Some may want to request lower level rooms if this is a concern.

All in all, we had a great time. :)

Room Tip: If you want the views and to be beside the infiniti pool and Carmichaels, the higher the better.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Just came back from this hotel a couple of days ago. Had a wonderful relaxing time. Since it is not on the beach, their cascading pool made up for it. the sounds of the water flowing over like a waterfall made relaxing very easy. The food and service at the restaurant and bar was incredible. My wife and stayed in the deluxe king room with the balcony. the ocean was in the distance but during the early morning before breakfast just looking out into the sea was a great way to start a relaxing day.
Never once did we have to wait long for the cart to pick us up from our rooms to take us down to restaurant or pool. everyone was very polite and entertaining from the waiters to the drivers to the front desk people. The infinity pool up the mountains next to Carmichael i thought was bigger then what i saw but it was still a perfect view from atop the mountains. i would definitely recommend this hotel. If you are looking a hotel on the beach then this isn't it but if you are looking to have a good time relaxing and just having fun then.

Room Tip: if you want to be where you can either walk down to front desk or pool area if you don't want t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sugar Ridge? Share your experiences!