“Enjoyed every minute :-)” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   PO Box 153, Jolly Harbour, Antigua   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Jolly Harbour
Ottawa, Canada
“Enjoyed every minute :-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This hotel exceeded my expectations for two main reasons...the friendly and accommodating staff and the ambience of the hotel...it has a very classy, exclusive feel to it which made my stay very special. Although it is not located directly on the beach, it has an ocean view at a bit of a distance and to the south a very pretty view of Jolly Harbour. It is surrounded by lush hills which made for some great photos. Getting to the local beaches was easy, they provide jeep shuttles at regular, convenient, times, just a short ride away; the Nest which is a stunning beach with milky blue water is within walking distance. Also a short walk away is the Jolly Harbour grocery store with a bank machine which was very handy.

I was given an ocean view room as requested, but I wasn't aware that the hotel is located along on a main road so you can see and hear traffic at times. I requested another room higher up the ridge that was more quiet and facing Jolly Harbour and the staff were very courteous and accommodating in moving me, and went out of their way to ensure I was satisfied with the new room. The rooms are as shown on the website, clean, stylish, modern, and they have a beautiful large balcony. Bed was very comfy and AC worked great. As others have pointed out, there are golf carts to take you to/from your rooms but I preferred to walk; it is a steep walk but many guests choose to walk.

Other points of interest, the food was very good at the Sugar Club restaurant, breakfast is either a buffet or off the menu and service was always friendly and reliable. Carmichael's was a definite treat for the food and view, and also had friendly and attentive service. The pools were well maintained but on the smaller side, but the deck areas were beautiful and spacious. Definitely make your way up to the infinity pool as the view is stunning and there are several relaxing spots to enjoy there.

Overall I had a great stay and would definitely recommend this hotel... :-)

Room Tip: Rooms in the high 30s and the 40s face Jolly Harbour and are away from the main resort so are quiete...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This was our first trip to Antigua. My fiancé and I decided Sugar Ridge would be the perfect place to get married! We were right. The resort is beautiful and the staff exceptional. Our wedding coordinator, Marcia made our dream wedding become a reality and also stress-free. I felt the huge companies like Sandals was too commercialized and not so personal. Marcia along with the staff at Sugar Ridge made sure everything was exactly like my fiancé and I pictured. The wedding ceremony was more than I expected. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone interested in getting married in Antigua. The rooms were romantic, clean, modern and the price was awesome. The food was out of this world along with the awesome drinks!! I can't wait to return for our anniversary!!!

Room Tip: If you do want a room right on the beach, this resort has shuttle service to the beach about a 2-5 m...
St. John's, Antigua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Saturday was the final party of a series of parties that were organised by the Grown and Sexy Crew from the Uk, bringing 90 souls from the Uk to party on down with the best of us here in Antigua. It was a brilliant night out and the Djs Missy B, MasterMind and Dave VJ did a sterling job of it with sounds fromt he 80s and even some more recent stuff. We had a brilliant time and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Well done Sugar Ridge for helping to put on such a fantastic event. Staff as usual in the bar were fabulous, what more can I say, it was an excellent night out. More please!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stayed here in June 2013 for 11 nights. Not on the beach but they offer a free shuttle service to beach and supermarket whenever you want. Most staff fantastic in both sugar club and Carmichaels, however found the evening staff in Sugar club restaurant to be lacking.
Main pools small but very picturesque (might be a squeeze in the busy period, we went off season), rooms fantastic and very clean, we had a room with a small plunge pool on balcony, did not use once as balcony not sunny.. but there if you want it! All in a a great hotel in Antigua, would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: if paying extra for a room with the pool, would not bother, there is no sun on the balcony so the po...
Gillingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Wow me and Simon had the best holiday and anniversary at the sugar ridge the place is fab staff are lovely we had super deluxe room with kingsize bed and plunge pool bed and yummy breakfast menu we walked every day to jolly harbour to the supermarket only took 5 minutes and we walked to the nest beach which took 10 minutes it was deserted and so nice if you are going with your man buy a snorkel and flippers as he will want to go in we ate at the crows nest very good ancient had an excellent band Carmichaels was very nice we ate there a few times you will not be disappointed with the sugar ridge taxi from and back to airport £15 there and £15 back now we have been to the Caribbean we are definitely going back

Room Tip: Get one with a plunge pool
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I just stayed at this property (June 2013) during my first trip to Antigua, and I loved it! I had a one king bedroom (no pool) and I purchased the package that included breakfast. Room #11.

Pros:

Beautiful modern, decor
Large rooms
Clean and pest free
Air-conditioned and ceiling fan
Free Wi-Fi
2 Free bottles of water
Aveda hair & skin care products in room
Huge workout room (with water cooler, so you're able to refill your own container for free!)
Mini-bar can serve as refrigerator
Large deck with lovely view
Beautiful pool
2 Restaurants onsite (although I only visited the Sugar Ridge Club & it was sufficient)
Free shuttle to nearby beaches daily (I even walked some days - not far, but hot)

Cons:
Not on beach (but very closeby)
Stairs - the rooms are hillside and have to climb sets of stairs to reach them (not really a bother but could be negative for some)

That's about all I can think of for cons. It is a lovely property. While many oceanfront properties have a rustic, open feel (with sand everywhere), this property was very modern, clean, and sleek. The staff was friendly and seemed helpful (I am a very low-maintenance guest so I didn't require much). In addition to the large gym, there is room for group classes and there appeared to be one class of yoga or pilates everyday. I visited the Aveda salon/spa for a pedicure and facial treatment, and it was nice. Some of the salon services were pricey, but I think the average traveler could afford at least one or two of the services.

A taxi from the airport was $24 US and takes about 30 minutes.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This was our first trip to Antigua, we did not know what to expect in terms of accommodation or how friendly the locals were.

Upon arriving we were more than pleasantly surprised. The people are marvellous. Very friendly and eager to give a good impression of their island. You'd expect hotel staff to be courteous, it's their job. But the local islanders, on the beach, in the shops and residents were all lovely.

The Sugar Ridge was an amazing place to stay. The decor was very chique and stylish. Both restaurants served wonderful food. Especially Carmichael's at the top of the ridge. The service is out of this world. We missed the managers welcome cocktail party, we tend not to attend such formal affairs... But the next morning the manager came over to our breakfast table and welcomed us personally, he'd realised that we were not there at the previous evening event and had taken the trouble to make sure we were happy..

The accommodation was also very nice. The room was clean and well appointed. Nice walk-in wet room/shower. The little plunge pool on the patio is a nice touch.

We looked at some of the other hotels advertised when we were here. We were glad that we had chosen the best as far as we could see. The only downside (for some) not for us, the hotel is not right on the beach. But this added to exclusive feel. There is a regular shuttle bus (land rover) which will take you to any one of the numerous beaches.

I'm sure that you will not be disappointed with this hotel.

Room Tip: Didn't see the rooms with a upper floor but I'm glad we chose the ground floor one with plun...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sugar Ridge? Share your experiences!