“A very pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Jolly Harbour
Brooklyn, New York
“A very pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Having read the recent reviews on tripadvisor, I was a bit skeptical about what to expect at Sugar Ridge. I just returned from a 3-night stay there and while I do have some minor complaints, overall it was a very pleasant stay.

The good : the property is new and beautiful and very well maintained. I found the design to be very thoughtful and pretty zen. I loved the infinity pool (though a warning to unsuspecting travellers : none of their pools are heated!) I stayed in room 17, which had a vaulted ceiling and a large balcony with a spectacular view of the harbor but no plunge pool. Some travellers complained about the noise from the road, but it was not a nuissance to me. For one thing, there was little traffic on the road to begin with and I actually enjoyed watching what traffic there was. My package included breakfast and I thought the breakfast spread was among the very best I've experienced while travelling. Eggs and potatoes, breakfast meats, fruit and yogurt, cheese and grains, a trio of fruit juices, etc. My only small complaint about breakfast was that the coffee was a bit inconsistent, such as good one day and then too weak the next. The servers were very attentive and friendly, especially Carleen who was utterly charming and gave us a laugh every morning. I used the gym twice, which I thought was the most impressive boutique resort gym I've ever visited. Lots of cardio equipment and weights and a wonderful view of the lush green hillside to boot although to my disappointment, no elliptical machines! They even organize some fitness classes during the week, which I've never seen before at a boutique resort. I also used the spa twice, which was also very nice though I might recommend booking appointments in advance since they are a bit small and have limited staff and availabilities. I had dinner at Carmichael's one night, which was delicious and had attentive staff; my friend and I arrived early before their official opening hour and asked to be seated so we could enjoy the sunset, and they were very kind and accommodative to our request.

The bad : I think it is really important to have a friendly and attentive front desk staff, since they are on the front line to so many guest issues and experiences. At Sugar Ridge, I found the front desk to be wanting in friendliness - often when a guest would approach, they would be slow to acknowledge the guest and not exactly friendly about it either. While the design of the bathroom was aesthetically appealing, I found it not exactly functional as the round vessel sink was too high for shorter guests like myself and the shower had one of those half doors, which means that water gets all over within minutes of your shower and your bath mat gets constantly soaked. Since the resort is not on the beach and is stacked on a hill, you must rely on hotel shuttles to get you to the beach and up and down the hill to Carmichael's and to your room if you have heavy luggage, so on some days, you may feel like your wait is longer than it should be and the front desk can only tell you unsympathetically that someone is on their way.

While I had a very nice stay at Sugar Ridge, my friend and I agreed that on return to Antigua we would choose to stay somewhere else that was situated directly on the beach.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Keith M, General Manager at Sugar Ridge, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
I was very pleased to read that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us and liked the style of Sugar Ridge. I note also your very favorable comments as to the breakfast in Sugar Club and dinner in Carmichaels. I was pleased also to read you were impressed with the gym and enjoyed the fitness classes. Our spa has 4 treatments rooms and 4 therapists so they can get busy so booking in advance is often key. I was on the other hand sorry to read that you felt one or two of our reception staff had been less helpful than it seems they should have been – We have now addressed this with the reception team.
Not being on the beach does set us apart from most hotels on the island and we have to accept that will not be everyone’s choice. Fortunately, for the vast majority of guests they find the elevated setting and the access to a selection of some of the best beaches on the island which are minutes from us – outweighs the alternative of staying at a beach front hotel.

519 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I had a wonderful time at this resort, our room was lovely, had an amazing view, the service we recevied was great. Every morning for breakfast we had great service and the buffet and food were very good! I want to give a shout out to Carlene, Kawaan, and Oneil for their great service. In the bar and dinner we had such a great time and again want to thank Clayon and Prince for outstanding service. The resort is beautiful and very well maintained and I would not hesitate to return again. The view from the infinity pool and Carmicheals is just beautiful. We also asked the front desk staff to help us with tours to see the island and everything was handled professionally and with great recommendations and service. I highly recommend this wonderful resort!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
southern England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed for eight nights in November, just as the cruise ship season started. Our checkin was efficiently handled and I was impressed that I had received an email offering to arrange transport from the airport several days before we arrived. A golf buggy ride to our room and a reasonable aspect from the balcony equipped with a plunge pool. The lock on our door would not fully engage and was reported on the first day, as a test I did not mention it again, it was not rectified. The breakfast was a big disappointment as it followed the American format of all arriving together or in the wrong order, we resorted to ordering as we went, the quality was variable.
The pool area was rather bare and austere and needed a little softening the gym looked to be very well equipped.
The lack of a beech proved to be a problem which we were aware of but had not appreciated the hoards of bussed in cruise ship customers which increased occupancy from 4 to 400 very swiftly.
Gibsons beech with its friendly and welcoming restaurant and Fryers with the same are to be recommended. Avoid Jolly Beach it's only redeeming feature is a huge super market, if needed.
Dining at Carmichaels was reasonable but service was sometimes slow, we also witnessed a very unhappy wedding party with a public argument raised voices and accusations of lying, very poorly handled by senior management.
Overall this is not a holiday venue I can recommend Sugar Beech seems to be having an identity crisis, is it a hotel, a motel, a locals club or what.
Contrary to other reviews I found the on the ground staff to be for the most part very helpful and friendly, the hotels greatest asset.

Room Tip: The higher the better but the greater the distance to walk to the facilities. Lower room numbers can...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Keith M, General Manager at Sugar Ridge, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
We were sorry to read that you would not be inclined to recommend Sugar Ridge following your stay some two months ago. The team from Sugar Club were sorry to read that you were disappointed with breakfast when in the past we have received so many excellent comments. Cruise ship passengers on some beaches can be a bit of a problem in peak season, but normally Vorn will avoid going to those beaches on the days that the cruise ships are in port, instead going to others nearby that are all but deserted. Sugar Ridge is a small boutique luxury hotel which offers a range of facilities that are open to non residents which in turn enable us to offer such extensive gym and spa facilities together with a choice of restaurants that would not normally be expected in an hotel of this size. We are indeed very sorry that Sugar Ridge did not work for you.
pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful grounds and beautiful views of the ocean and Jolly Harbour from the rooms and upper rooms' verandahs. The hotel is on the Carribbean side and the beaches are gorgeous and a short shuttle ride away. From talking with others on the island, the location can’t be beat. There are many pretty beaches close by; we got to try three different locations during our stay.

We stayed in an upper level room, # 51, and the view was gorgeous. It was a further walk from reception and the Sugar Club, but the location made it quiet and private. It was still only a 5 minute walk down the hill to both locations. We could get a golf cart to run us up to our room whenever we needed it. We decided against the plunge pool and stayed in an upper level room and were glad that we did. The verandahs don’t get direct sun so I’m sure the water was cool, plus you miss out on the amazing views from the upper level.

The property is not on the beach, which some people may not like, but it gave us the option to explore different beaches on the island. The pools are a bit on the smaller side but were never too crowded to get a seat. You can’t rely on the wi-fi and the connection from our room was spotty, at best. There were times we needed to remind ourselves that we were on ‘island time’ while waiting for our pick up at the beach by the hotel shuttle, but it was easy, free and reliable.

We opted out of the all-inclusive food option and there are great restaurant options within a quick walk. Breakfast at the hotel had both sit down and buffet options, with lots of fresh fruit. For restaurants off-property, we’d recommend Oceanos (quaint, local, seafood), Akropolis (delicious Greek in the Carribbean(!) and Miracles (authentic Carribbean cooking). We had tapas at Sheer Rocks at CocoBay on Sunday and that is something to experience. The location is breathtaking and had a very fun, chic vibe. The restaurant is built into the side of a cliff overlooking the Carribbean- not sure the view could get any better!

Our vacation was to relax and we did just that- for those looking for a ‘scene’, the hotel doesn’t have really have one to speak of. It’s fairly quiet, overall, and mostly couples.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed for four nights in early January 2013 and occupied room 23 which is a second level property with no pool on the terrace.

Rooms: I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the rooms. I wouldn't describe them as spectacular but they were certainly adequate with all functions. The only gripe I would have is that the air conditioner was extremely noisy but in the end was a blessing. In terms of choice there isn't much too it. All the rooms are the same except the rooms on the second level have vaulted ceilings and no terrace pool. The premium rooms - based on location only - are higher up next to carmichael restaurant.
Location: the website makes it clear it is not the beach. However, what the website does not highlight is that the hotel and complex is built adjacent to the main road that circumnavigates the island. The rooms are located so that you have a view of the harbour and the sea but also the main road. The downside to all of this is that you can hear the passing of traffic very clearly from the room and defeats the whole purpose of having a terrace.
Beach: the hotel does not have its own beach but provides transport to a number of beaches within a 5 min drive. These beaches are lovely so long as no ships have called into port
Facilities: great gym and I mean great........ Spa also good
Pool: 2 pools and very small. There was service and on the whole the food and drinks were good. A point to note is that this hotel is part of a complex and shares its facilities with locals, others hotel/apartments in the jolly harbour and including Sugar Ridge's own real estate apartment and houses that have been built. So it is not exclusive and private to hotel quests
Food: we were on all inclusive which I think worked out really well. On the whole food was good at all three meals. We ate twice at Carmichael's. The first meal I had was scallops, fillet steak and chocolate sponge and chocolate sauce. This meal was very good and comparable to the best I have experienced in any bistro/gastro restaurant in london.

Summary: we also stayed at the Inn at English harbour which is a £600 a night and comparing the two Sugar Ridge fared well with food and service to this hotel and facilities. I could live with it not being on the beach but the noise from the road was an issue. In terms of the whole experience it did not feel we were on holiday and felt at times like we were in a luxury motel. We got the room at circa £250 a night which is a considerable difference to the Inn. So my advice is if you need to stay somewhere while touring the island or wanting to check out a number of the different beaches this might not be a bad option because at the price the facilities are good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We were all delighted to read that overall you were very complimentary about your stay and in particular the food and service at both restaurants. We were also pleased to read that you consider the All Inclusive meal plan good value. We note that from time to time you were disturbed by traffic noise from the road below and can only apologies for any inconvenience you experienced. For many guests of Sugar Ridge the fact that we are open to non residents they see as a plus, in that it enables us to offer a wider and more extensive range of facilities than would otherwise be the case in an hotel of this size. Over the relatively short time that we have been open it is quite surprising how many friendships have developed with expat and locals alike on the island.
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

On returning from our recent trip to Sugar Ridge we discussed our vacation at length and on reflection feel compelled to write a review. We most definitely concur with the views of others which demonstrates with such a consensus of opinion that the hotel really does have problems and not just isolated incidents. As my husband and I operate in the discerning hospitality market we do not ever use trip advisor as a whipping tool; however with the consistent lack of visual management at the resort we are left with no alternative and sincerely hope the owners take the constructive comments on board and make immediate changes.
There obviously has been a huge investment made in the infrastructure and ascetics of this recently constructed hotel and with the Aveda brand has all the components to market itself as a boutique/luxury hotel. However, it is such a pity that this is all wasted as there is a consistent lack of attention to detail throughout the resort and service levels vary with individuals.
The quality of the food at breakfast and dinner is not what one would expect from this level of operation. The restaurant uses poor quality cutlery, napery and the whole dining experience has no ambience or professionalism. The hotel generally lacks soul and we likened it to a 'ship sailing without a captain'. During our week stay we choose to avoid lunch and only took dinner once, we felt lucky we were only staying on a bed and breakfast basis which allowed us the opportunity to visit other hotels and restaurants in the vicinity where we received great service and good quality food, so this hotel is not representative of the hospitality on offer in Antigua.
We have chosen not to go into all the individual issues which could be quite lengthy and also most of them are covered in other trip advisor reviews.
We must, however, point out that at no stage did we witness any of the staff to be impolite or ever unhelpful; they just need direction, training and leadership. In summary all the issues at this resort can so easily be resolved with some visible and pro-active management.
As the hotel manager has replied to some reviews and therefore has read all the comments of many, we trust the much needed changes will be made to ensure this hotels future success.
Hopefully the fact they are marketing a number of luxury houses to be built and sold on the estate is not their real objective and not operating under a guise of running a luxury hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Keith M, Manager at Sugar Ridge, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
I was pleased to read that you were generally complimentary as to the facilities at Sugar Ridge. I also appreciate you highlighting the staff as helpful and polite. The vast majority of our staff have been with us for 3 years and therefore know their jobs very well. That said I do accept that during your stay service levels hiccupped slightly. Your remarks suggest that an apparent lack of management presence lead to you experiencing inconsistencies and for that I am sincerely. Each of our two restaurants does have its own Restaurant Manager as does the Front Desk and I have to accept that at times there may have been a lack of visibility and direction – which has since been addressed. I recall at the managers cocktail party you spoke of your own Gastro Pub in the UK which I can imagine is very very nice, and was sorry then to learn that you had only had dinner once in Sugar Club and had not chosen to eat in Carmichaels at all. By way of information our table linens are Italian and custom made. I am really sorry your overall experience was short of what we seek to achieve, but I can assure you your remarks have been taken on board.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

As a young couple perhaps our expectations were lowers than some others who have scored it poorly, but for us it was perfect! We went in August, so the review is quite delayed, but we went out for dinner last night and spent most of our meal talking about how amazing our stay in Antigua was.

Our room was nice and clean and we enjoyed using the plunge pool...although not as much as the infinity pool at Carmichaels which was amazing and completely empty both times we went up there! The main pool is also really nice. The food all round was amazing both at Sugar Club and Carmichaels and we never went hungry.

The beaches that shuttles ran to were excellent and it was handy being able to grab food at the beach huts there.

Antigua's beaches are beautiful and we had an amazing stay at Sugar Ridge. The staff, the food, the setting and the pools all helped to create a completely wonderful experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Keith M, General Manager at Sugar Ridge, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Thank you for posting your review, which although from some months ago is still very much appreciated. I am pleased that you hold such fond memories of your stay. Little has changed in the meantime with almost all of the team still in place.

Been to Sugar Ridge? Share your experiences!