We stayed for eight nights in November, just as the cruise ship season started. Our checkin was efficiently handled and I was impressed that I had received an email offering to arrange transport from the airport several days before we arrived. A golf buggy ride to our room and a reasonable aspect from the balcony equipped with a plunge pool. The lock on our door would not fully engage and was reported on the first day, as a test I did not mention it again, it was not rectified. The breakfast was a big disappointment as it followed the American format of all arriving together or in the wrong order, we resorted to ordering as we went, the quality was variable.
The pool area was rather bare and austere and needed a little softening the gym looked to be very well equipped.
The lack of a beech proved to be a problem which we were aware of but had not appreciated the hoards of bussed in cruise ship customers which increased occupancy from 4 to 400 very swiftly.
Gibsons beech with its friendly and welcoming restaurant and Fryers with the same are to be recommended. Avoid Jolly Beach it's only redeeming feature is a huge super market, if needed.
Dining at Carmichaels was reasonable but service was sometimes slow, we also witnessed a very unhappy wedding party with a public argument raised voices and accusations of lying, very poorly handled by senior management.
Overall this is not a holiday venue I can recommend Sugar Beech seems to be having an identity crisis, is it a hotel, a motel, a locals club or what.
Contrary to other reviews I found the on the ground staff to be for the most part very helpful and friendly, the hotels greatest asset.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Antigua’s newest boutique hotel nestles in a sugar cane-bordered natural hillside with stunning views of the surrounding landscape and the turquoise Caribbean Sea. Designed in contemporary colonial style, rooms have private large verandas, plunge pool and full amenities. An Aveda™ spa provides the latest in holistic therapies; a gym, 3 swimming pools, trendy Sugar Club bar/restaurant and the more formal Carmichael’s, make Sugar Ridge the place to be. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Sugar Ridge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Ridge Hotel Jolly Harbour
- Sugar Ridge Antigua/Jolly Harbour