Sugar ridge has lots of positives well documented in these recent reviews and in our week long stay over new year we would agree with them all.However, this is a well rated and expensive hotel and if it wants to sustain its position it will have to significantly raise its game. It's not that the service is bad; as others comment, its inconsistency taints the good and unreliability caused us just to give up asking or using the hotel!s services except when we had to. Yes, we found the beach shuttle service too laid back and unreliable and yes we also thought the breakfast was average at best and a bit mean to charge for fresh eggs rather than the basic scrambled. By the end of the week we felt sorry that some excellent service by several staff and mangers had been let down by what just felt like poor management.
Here are specifics relating to front desk and housekeeping. Tea and coffee were not replenished except when we requested, neither were tissues or even toilet roll, when we mentioned this in the morning, the response was sorry and we will remedy that. However, most quality hotels would send someone straight round.but SR dealt with it the next time housekeeping did our room in the evening or the next day. We asked them to book a trip with the local TA top rated snorkelling RIB company for the next day and they said sure no problem. When the next day came we asked if they had booked it and were told not possible and they thought the snorkelling company had probably gone out of business. We knew that wasn't right as we had seen the boats in jolly harbour so we just rang up and did iit ourselves. On our last day we checked out of our room at 11 40 in time for the noon limit, but housekeeping came in at 9 30 asking to clean the room as normal. Clearly no one had told them we were checking out that day!
All that said, we did have a good time, the area is great, the beaches sensational and jackie o's beach bar is superb for lunch or dinner
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Antigua’s newest boutique hotel nestles in a sugar cane-bordered natural hillside with stunning views of the surrounding landscape and the turquoise Caribbean Sea. Designed in contemporary colonial style, rooms have private large verandas, plunge pool and full amenities. An Aveda™ spa provides the latest in holistic therapies; a gym, 3 swimming pools, trendy Sugar Club bar/restaurant and the more formal Carmichael’s, make Sugar Ridge the place to be. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Splendia, Travelocity, Tingo, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Sugar Ridge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Ridge Hotel Jolly Harbour
- Sugar Ridge Antigua/Jolly Harbour