“Wonderfull” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Jolly Harbour
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Wonderfull”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Clayan should be promoted to a supervisor simply because he knows what he is about he made sugar ridge something to talk about...when me an my wife was unhappy he made our day.....good job clayon

• Stayed June 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I've stayed a number of place on-island but this is the most unique. The rooms are the most modern because the hotel is about the newest on island. They are clean and having a plunge pool on your patio is pretty cool. The fact that the hotel is on the side of a hill can be problematic if you are in a hurry and far from the lobby and don't want to wait for a golf cart. Getting down is no problem usually, but going back up can be a chore. The hotel restaurant on top of the mountain is pretty awesome but expensive, as is the basic restaurant across from the lobby and by the pool. The amenities here are pretty good and after a day of work or exploring you will find this to be a nice place to relax. Only complaint is the vast amount of geckos that seem to be in the rooms because the doors sit about an inch above the threshold for some unknown reason. I figured that I was bigger than them and would win any battle so I just dealt with it and left well enough alone. They ate the bugs and I appreciated it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Basseterre, St. Kitts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I took my wife to the Sugar Club for dinner mainly because it was one of the only restaurants on the island that had a sushi menu (we are massive sushi lovers). I must say I was very impressed with the sushi. It was quite outstanding. The service was good although the restaurant supervisor, who went to every other table to do a quality check, never came to ours, but our waiter did great job. My wife and I ordered the Blackened Shrimp and the BBQ Salmon respectively and we were both deeply disappointed. My shrimp were so overcooked and bland that I had to return them to the kitchen. Although they were re-done they were not any better. My wife's Salmon was also overcooked and very dry and she didn't eat it. Needless to say we eventually ordered some more sushi to supplement our meal. I am an Antiguan who lives abroad and I also work in the F&B industry in upper management so my review may be a bit critical, but I firmly believe that as beautiful as this hotel is, that the food also needs to be up to standard. Compliments to the sushi chef and when I return to Antigua I will visit the Sugar Club again even if just for the sushi. Samuel A. (St. Kitts)

Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

This hotel is an absolutely fantastic hotel!

First of all they welcome you with a nice cocktail and a fresh towel, then they take you to your room anytime you like using electric golf carts. I must however say that the road in front of the hotel is quite noisy if you wish to lie on your terrace or in the plunge pool on your terrace. The staff made every possible effort for us to have the room of our choice and were incredible in their help and assistance at all time.

Amenities: Concerning the amenities of the hotel: this is a great hotel with well finished materials. The Aveda spa is fantastic (best massage ever), the gym offers all the necessary equipment and more, the two pools at the main building are very good: not too big, not too small, great shape and lots of seats; the pool at Carmichaels is also amazing with the views of the Carribean Sea it offers.

Restaurants: Wauw. If you ever think that Sugar Club is a lesser restaurant compared to Carmichaels: think again. We had the most amazing dinners at Sugar Club restaurant with outstanding service! I even advice friends from Belgium to go to Antigua simply for the restaurant! Carmichaels is not bad, but I would not say it is better than Sugar Club.

All in all: fantastic hotel with clean amenities, well equipped rooms and main building, fantastic restaurants, a free shuttle taking you to any beach of your choice, and simply the friendliest people I have ever encountered in my life.

Tip 1: Take the All-In if you're not planning to visit the island (which we did on our honeymoon of course) --> You get an amazing choise of "à la carte" breakfast, lunch and dinner and believe me: it is really worth the price!!

Tip 2: Have a look at Miramar sailing: one of the best days ever thanks to Wayne & Lara!

Room Tip: Rooms 1 to 12 are the furthest from the road and the most quiet.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

We did not actually stay at this hotel but in an apartment right next door. We, therefore bought into the facilities as non-residents but at no time were we made to feel like second-class citizens! I joined the gym and used the pools regularly, the two ladies used the Aveda spa for various services and we ate many meals in the Sugar Club. We were booked into the fine dining 'Carmichaels' restaurant for our last night but the restaurant was booked out for a wedding. This was a serious disappointment but the manager gave us a discount in the Sugar Club and made good their error.

The staff are, without doubt, the best hotel staff I have ever experienced anywhere in the World. The management do realise this (I hope) and my experience of customer care was nothing less than exceptional. In the restaurant, Shirlene (one of the supervisors) was just the most perfect host; she managed to hit exactly the correct blend of friendliness and efficiency without familiarity- a superb front-of-house ambassador. Sherwin and Clayon are also excellent waiters and Glaive mixes fantastic cocktails for consumption by the pool; try his mojito or his 'extra' rum-punch- you will not be disappionted! Vaughan is one of the drivers and also runs the most fantastic service: he will take you on a botanical walk through the rain-forest adjacent to the hotel; two and a half hours of the most interesting and facinating instruction and a rare and humbling glimpse into the flora of Antigua and the lives of the 'real Antiguans'. Vaughan is a fantastic asset to this hotel and our time with him was a Champagne moment- thanks Vaughan, you enriched our lives and you should receive 'legendary' status!

If you get a chance to chat with locals in their own environment, it is obvious that Antigua needs tourism and Sugar Ridge is providing employment and a very unique service; i can fully recommend this hotel!

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Ovilla, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Our stay at the Sugar Ridge Resort in Antigua was delightful! The accommodations were beautiful, clean, and met our needs! The staff at the resort was very personable and catered to the guests! Food was delicious at both restaurants on the property. The pools were beautiful and there was a well- equipped fitness room! An Aveda Spa is on the premises also and the massage and facial I received were divine! Everyone at the resort exhibited a positive, caring attitude toward the guests and made sure happy memories were made! We were greeted upon arrival by the general manager, Keith Martel, and he also came to say goodbye when we checked out. That made a huge impression on us and we were told he did that for all guests. We had an excellent experience at the Sugar Ridge Resort and definitely look forward to returning there in the future!

Room Tip: Lower level rooms have a private plunge pool and higher level rooms have the best view.
Weybridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

My fiance and I went to Sugar Ridge in June and stayed for a week... we wished it was longer!! Everything about this hotel is fantastic. The rooms are beautiful, the best we've ever stayed in the Caribbean, decorated in lovely neutrals, dark wood and stunning bathrooms with Aveda products. The restaurants are faultless, everything is cooked fresh from the menu, no buffets here! Carmichaels at the top of the resort is great, the views are amazing and the food/drink matches. But one of their biggest asset is their staff... we have never had such good, personal service as at Sugar Ridge, they are a credit to them. We also liked the fact the resort wasn't on the beach as it gets you out and about and gives you a chance to try different beaches which are all stunning. The hotel runs a shuttle that will take you there... our favourite was the beach with The Nest restaurant on it.. paradise!! We will most definitely go back, in our opinion the best hotel in Antigua!! Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Manager1201, General Manager at Sugar Ridge, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

We are delighted that you had such an amazing trip to Antigua and enjoyed your stay at Sugar Ridge. Thank you for the lovely compliments of our staff; their helpful nature truly represents the Antiguan culture. We hope you are able to return very soon.

Best Regards,
Keith Martel
Sugar Ridge, Antigua

Been to Sugar Ridge? Share your experiences!