“Couldn't wait to leave” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Albergo

You added Hotel Albergo to your Saves list
Hotel Albergo
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Victoria Regina Square, 11-12, Saint-Josse-ten-Noode, Brussels 1210, Belgium   |
Bozeman, Montana
“Couldn't wait to leave”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

Very disappointed in this hotel. We reserved a room with a toilet in the room and when we arrived, we were given one without. This room also had a window that opened onto a "rooftop" that was full of garbage. Upon request, we were given another room, but the desk clerk was clearly annoyed. The room was in SERIOUS need of repair. There were wires hanging out of walls, cracks in the tile, etc. The stairs in this hotel are a hazard, there is no elevator, and the hallway is steep and very dark. Our door to our room was sketchy and didn't seem to lock. To top things off, we got a phone call at 4:29am for NO reason. 4:29AM!!!! We caught a train at 6 o'clock in the morning instead of our scheduled time because we couldn't wait to get out of there. The pictures of the hotel look NOTHING like the real thing.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Loughborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

This hotel was very reasonably priced, and fairly central (roughly a 20 minute walk from the Grand place) as it is close to shopping centres and Brussels Nord train station. It is in a quiet little side street close to a park, and the rooms are comfortable and bright if not particularly inviting, and are just the right size. The only complaint I had was that the rooms were very very warm - even when the fan in the room was used. The staff were pleasant, but if you're looking for a budget offering with minimal use of transport to get around, this may be just the thing.

• Stayed June 2010
liverpool
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

The hotel was in the middle of the red light district and was not the easiest to find so we spent ages wandering round the adjacent streets when it was getting to late at night. Still we gave the place the benefit of the doubt. The lady on reception when we arrived was lovely but the guy who replaced her was not overly friendly and then kept us up all night by talking loudly with his mates - odd when the rooms are apparently sound proofed... Don't believe the hotel descriptions as they all seemed false and while the room itself was dingy but adequate I wouldn't spend more than 30 euros to stay there. We spent 50 euros here and felt somewhat robbed by the experience.
xx

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Istanbul
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

When we arrived we found out they chage 4 euros for one hour of WIFI time.
They had one computer in the reception area which they said we could use 24 hours a day, but during the night when I tried to use it, I was told it was closed.

It looked like the person working at the reception desk wanted to sleep and didn't want to be disturbed. I suspect that as in poor countries, they don't have enough staff and or they don't pay well enough to have someone actually stay awake during the night, but instead they are supposed to work and sleep during the same shift. I suspect this because I saw a pair of shoes on the floor near the reception desk, and when I came down, I didn't see anyone sitting or standing behind the desk. Yet when he heard me coming, he stood up.

The next day I tried to connect my laptop directly to the Internet cable so I could upload and download my mail quickly, but I was told in a very authoritarian tone that this was not permitted either. I have done this often in other places so it all depends on the person making, enforcing or intterpreting the rules.

If you Internet access is important to you, then I would not recommend this hotel. Otherwise it was acceptable, except for a constand beep tone that we could hear coming from the hallway which sounded each thirty seconds or so. It might have been a low battery alarm on the smoke alarm, but I didn't investigate it to find out.
The show had mold around it, and the ceiling hadn't been painted after it had been patched, but it was clean enough.

Also, when I asked to talk to the owner of the hotel to express my dissatisfaction, I was told very bluntly "You can't talk to him."

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

I was travelling inEurope with my wife and teenage daughter. In Brussels, I wanted a triple room good convenient location at an attractive price without sacrifcing cleanliness & bit of comfort. I did quite a bit of research and settled on Hotel Albergo. The location is superb, within 5 min walk from Gare du Nord. Our Eurostar train from London arrived in Midi station, so we bought a 10 euro family pass (good for a whole day on public system) and took the metro to Gare du Nord. Walked from there, it was easy armed with google directions. In fact it is easier to walk from metro station Rogier. Come out of Metro on the Botanique side, look for Hotel Crowne Plaza, walk on the sidewalk infront of it, go under the under the bridge, cross the divided 2-way road, turn right, then turn left at the next corner. May be 3 - 4 minute walk, total. Note that Hotel ALbergo is next to Best Western (which is a bigger hotel, so easier to ask people for directions).
From Hotel Albergo you can walk to most of the attractions. Mustafa at the counter was very nice. He was very helpful! We liked our triple room, it was big with a private path. It was clean. I'd go back there next time!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Oslo, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

Bathroom was covered in mold and our room had a horrible stench of mold. We had to go out and buy an air freshener. Located within walking distance of train stations. Overall in a quiet neighborhood where we felt relatively safe. Staff were helpful.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

It's in a dodgy area close to the red light district and it looked dirty. On the other hand, its only five minutes walk from Gare de Nord train station and it's directly across from the Brussels Botonical gardens. I always felt 100% safe. The room I stayed in was essentially a studio: no door for the toilet of shower, just curtains, so I could see the toilet from my bed. The walls were paper-thin. I got zero sleep. You could hear the people in the lobby as if they were standing inside my room talking! There were all kinds of errors: I got a wake-up call when I didn't ask for one, the fire alarm went off one morning for no reason (we were told the croissants were baking and somehow the oven set off the alarm). There was hot water and things generally worked. Also they had an OK breakfast, which was free, and free internet in the lobby with the ability to print unlimited number of pages. The staff was helpful--Angelique was great. But all in all, my sleep is very important to me, and I just didn't get that sense of comfort here. It felt like I was staying at a hotel 1 star down from a Motel 6, if that's possible.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Albergo? Share your experiences!