“The worst B&B experience I have ever had in my life!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Phileas Fogg

You added The Phileas Fogg to your Saves list
The Phileas Fogg
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Van Bemmelstraat 6, Saint-Josse-ten-Noode, Brussels 1210, Belgium   |
New York City, New York
“The worst B&B experience I have ever had in my life!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

First of all, I should have read all the reviews of this place before making a reservation. I went to Brussels on business and wanted a reasonably-priced hotel near where I had to work. Since practically all the nearby hotels were booked, I was forced to take one that seemed to be suitable as far as travel was concerned. When I arrived, the owner of the B&B was not even there to open the door for me, had left an email message which I did not see because I was over the Atlantic by the time she sent it. Then I found out that the room was on the 2nd floor, no keys to the door and that I had to share a bathroom. Evidently, she wasn't ready for my arrival because there were no towels in the room, she didn't even bother showing me the location of the bathroom and then left because she was in a hurry to go somewhere. As a result, I was stuck in my room until the next day because she didn't show me how to open the front door or give me the electronic key to open it from the outside. During the 6 excruciating days that I had to stay there, I only got a change of towels once, 1 breakfast because the lady was never there to fix it and my room was never cleaned. I do not recommend this B&B to anyone, either for business or pleasure.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Brussel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

For entertainment, I read a lot of the reviews of this place, because I stayed here several times many years ago. I'm amazed to see that nothing has changed at all. Except the dogs seem to have grown...
I think Karin, the owner, simply cannot cope. Intentions are good, but if she runs this place still today like she did 8-10 years ago, I can only agree with travelers who say that "she's only in it for the money". The rooms were once well designed, actually quite nice, if you like something out of the ordinary. But that humid basement that is "not yet ready", was "not yet ready" 10 years ago.
I don't agree with people who assume that the positive reviews can only be written by the owner. I'm certain that if you're lucky, she will be there when she arrives, your room will be clean, you will have breakfast with nice company from other guests, you'll have clean towels and the plumbing will all work. But I expect that this kind of luck may befall only 10% of travelers. And indeed, the prices are way out of line with what you get for it. Too expensive. Certainly not recommended for business travelers, unless of the very adventurous and forgiving kind, when you're fed up with the usual standard hotels.
At least you'll have something to talk about after your stay here!

Room Tip: ensure, and double-check, that you will not get the basement room. Better to sleep at the metro-stat...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Saint-Josse-ten-Noode hotels

Komorów, Warszawa, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

I have been already two times at Phileas Fogg and I really like this place. Number one - the hospitality of the owner - a wonderful, warm and very itnersting person speaking fluently 7 langauges and having a lot to say in every one of them. Thanks to that the geust can get the best possible recoimmendation how to spend interstin time in Brussels and how to find other places in places in Brussels.
Number two - the location, very convenient, nearby the Garden de Luxembourg, close to downtown and the Old Town. Number three - a decent breakfest and very comfortable beds. What I would personally change is the lightning in the rooms - this is a bit too dark. For those who read a lot and need to work in the evenings additional lamps with healthy light would be recommended.
This is a perfect place for buisness travellers and tourists interested in something more than only sightseeing. For those who dance tango and love pets - there is no other better palce in Brussles as the Owner is a professional tango dancer and a intructor and she has got two lovely dogs. I caanot wait to come to Phileas again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011 via mobile

First - this is not a Marriott, it's a B&B. And that means your mileage may vary. Some are run so efficiently I might have well stayed in a hotel but they offer no charm. When I want consistency I stay in a good chain, but I wanted more of a Brussels experience. I was warmly greeted by Karin and even given dinner. Karin told me the only time she couldn't make breakfast the next morning (she takes her child to school) but any other time was fine. It was delicious! But best of all was how comfortable I felt and the people I met. I wanted to be in a home - I do a lot of travel and so I enjoyed the dogs and sounds.
If you want precision stay at a Marriott or something, I really love those when I need that kind of consistency but sometimes I want to feel like I'm at home and Phileas Fogg gave that to me in Brussels and I will always be grateful.
Oh and I had a key, but didn't feel like I needed it. Isn't that how it should be?

• Stayed November 2011
Deutschland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I had 3 nights in the Phileas Fogg and enjoyed it. Nice style, nice dogs (big, friendly, calm). A human athmosphere, a friendly, welcoming oasis in Brussels. The booking was easy: quick and helpful contact to the owner first by email and then by phone.The terrace is a good place for a glass of wine in the evening.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

I've read a couple of the reviews and have to disagree with some. For my husband and me, the experience was nice.We arrived in Brussels mid afternoon on a Tuesday and found this place. There was one available room (the nice blue one) and we took it. This room had a key (unlike some of the others I've read about). Breakfast the next morning was pleasant and we met a few other travelers at the table as well. We had to move to a different room the second night we stayed and this was certainly not as nice as the first one, but it sufficed. Karin was enjoyable to talk with and helped us make the most out of the city by suggesting places to visit. We asked where we could find a place to wash our clothes and her helper did it all for us!
It is run more like a home than a business but we found it charming. The only negative for us was that it was a bit overpriced. It's unfortunate so many others did not have a good experience... this place is a gem.

Room Tip: The blue room is SUPER nice
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Phileas Fogg? Share your experiences!