“Reasonable but not great service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Brussels Hotel

You added Sheraton Brussels Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Brussels Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Place Rogier 3, Saint-Josse-ten-Noode, Brussels 1210, Belgium   |
Brisbane, Australia
“Reasonable but not great service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a huge hotel with lots of people coming and going. We had four people and fitted well into the standard room with two double beds. However, there weren't four towels! We called house keeping who then told us they had to check with their supervisors if we could have more towels and after a short wait we were told they would bring some up. Unfortunately the towels never arrived before we retired for the evening.

TIP: There is no formal hotel parking, but you can park under the building in the shopping centre car park. The front door people stamped our parking ticket and we received a small discount on the parking (maybe 10%).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Palmer_SBH, General Manager at Sheraton Brussels Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Greetings John and thank you for taking the time to leave a review.
We are very sorry about the mishap with bringing up additional towels to your room (which are normally set for two or three sets as a standard). Our Guest Service Center and Housekeeping departments are very happy to bring additional ones when requested, and trust me that this was an unfortunate exception for which we apologize.
For clarity, the hotel does not have a parking lot, but we can give our guests a stamp for a 10% discount at the Manhattan Parking located in the complex behind the hotel.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Had such a awful experience. At 2 am woke up cause I was bitten by bedbugs. Had to destroy and get rid of all my stuff I travelled with. Shared a room with my friend and I was the only one bitten. The receptionist did change the room during the night and that seemed to help. And I did get the funds back in order to replace the items I lost.

• Stayed October 2012
Palmer_SBH, General Manager at Sheraton Brussels Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Ms. Kel-Belle27,
The global resurgence of bed bugs is a widely-recognized problem. This problem has affected not only the hotel industry, but also hospitals, transport vehicles, college dormitories and private multiple dwellings as well. It is suspected that this resurgence is a direct result of increased international travel. To address this global problem, Starwood mandates an aggressive pest control policy, which includes regularly scheduled professional inspections, and if necessary, elimination protocols. I want to assure you that we have fully implemented the policy and protocols here at the Sheraton Brussels Hotel.
As you were aware during our communications, we immediately quarantined the room you stayed in and ordered a thorough inspection by our specialized pest contractor - which showed no evidence of bed bug infestation.
However, we understood that you had a negative episode during the night at our hotel. As your comfort and satisfaction are very important to us, we resolved this matter with you immediately after your return to the UK. Thank you for posting this review several months after your experience with us, as it allows to connect with you in another forum. We again express our sincere apologies for any discomfort you have experienced on your trip to Brussels.
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I debated between staying here or at the Le Meridien but given the 50 Euro a night difference, I decided to stay here. I had read some reviews online prior to booking so I had an idea of what the hotel was going to be like. Like most others, the hotel is getting a little dated and is starting to show its wear - my room definitely had an 80s pastel vibe going on but it was rather spacious, and I see from some postings that the hotel is considering a bit of a remodel. I also found it to be very clean and the check-in service was very friendly. My SPG membership was acknowledged, which I appreciate.

I do have 2 complaints though - the room that I had booked was a King Bed - classic room and the bed I got was a Queen - although not a huge deal, had I wanted a Queen bed, I would have booked a Queen bed. As well, I am familiar enough with Sheraton beds, this was not a SweetSleeper as advertised - this bed was definitely on the firmer side.

I did not complain about either, as I didn't have an easily accessible copy of my reservation, so I wasn't able to confirm what I suspected (that I had reserved a king bed) until I got home, and I was in bed when I quickly realized that the bed was not a SweetSleeper, and did not want to go to the front desk in my pyjamas - both disappointing. So my word of advice is confirm not just the style of your room, in my case a Classic, but also the size of the bed. Just disappointed - not something I would expect from a Sheraton or SPG in general.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Greetings Ms. Princess and thanks for your review.
We are glad that you found the room to be spacious, very clean - and also our front desk staff to be "very friendly".
Concerning your bed, I am sorry that you did not appreciate the mattress - however I can assure you that all our beds are indeed Sheraton Sweet Sleepers manufactured by Simmons in France (perhaps more firm than the version produced for the Sheratons in Canada?). We have both king-size and full-size beds in our hotel, and I regret that a king-size room was not available when you checked in. Believe me that we certainly do our utmost to respect what our guests request and book in terms of bed size!
We look forward to having you back in our hotel in the future.
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We are from Belgium and had a weekend break at this hotel. We got a room on the 18th floor, club rooms. The room was very large, excellent king size bed, tv with 50 channels and movies, free internet in the room, complementary water and coffee making facilities, marvelous views. In a club room you have access to the club lounge where from 6-8pm there are complimentary drinks and snacks served. The staff in the lounge was also very friendly and even served wine at the table. Very nice lounge and excellent food and drinks. The complimentary breakfast is also served in the club lounge. Again very good quality, and a wide choice of everything. There is a very nice pool on the 30th floor and also a sauna which we all used. Can recommend this hotel to pleasure and business travellers. All in all an excellent hotel!. We certainly hope to come back.

Room Tip: higher club room floors, as of 16th floor are marvellous
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Palmer_SBH, General Manager at Sheraton Brussels Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear fellow Belgian traveller,
We are honored and pleased to read about your "excellent" stay in our hotel!
We also agree that the Club Level experience is worth treating yourself to - including the continental breakfast and drinks & snacks in the Club Lounge, the complimentary in-room wifi, and much more (for only a little bit more!).
We certainly hope you will come back soon as promised.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Let me begin by saying that I am a platinum member with Starwood properties and I have stayed at numerous hotels worldwide without incident. I have NEVER ever felt uncomfortable and unwelcome at one of their location until this stay and even after speaking with various managers from the hotel I still do not feel that they were truly apologetic for what happened.

My situation:

While walking around the lobby in the evening waiting on a friend to arrive I was approached by a man (Bert) that was from hotel security. He approached me in an unfriendly manner and asked me if i needed something because I appeared lost as well as if I was staying at the hotel. I responded that I was not lost and was staying at the hotel. Bert walked away and I continued to hang around the lobby waiting on my friend to arrive. Approximately five minutes past and Bert again approached me and this time asked for my room number (considering my personal security overseas I refused to give it to him). I asked him why he needed that information, he then asked to see my room key and I showed it to him and he left.

At this time, I looked around the lobby and did not see what I am doing differently than anyone else around me. I am now feeling as though I was racially profiled since no one else around me was questioned. I spoke with the night manager who apologized, and I asked for the hotel manager to contact me in the morning. I spoke with the manager who did not appear to take my issue seriously nor was her apology sincere. Seeing that I was not gonna be treating in a manner that I felt was appropriate by her, I asked to speak with her supervisor. I received an email the following day from the general manager.

In the email was a long explanation about a issue relating to a theft in the hotel lobby that occurred in the past, an apology, 7,500 points and an explanation that security would handle similar manners differently. I contacted Starwood corporate customer service seeing that I felt that my situation needed to be known to the company and not just by the hotel. A short time later I received a phone call from the area manager of the hotel who while speaking with him about my displeasure with what occurred, he got an attitude with me. He stated that if he had been treated as I had he would not have felt upset with the manner in which it was handled. Which in my opinion, was unacceptable since the entire matter could have been handled without anyone having to had confront me at all. If I truly caused his staff some concern they could have watched me on security cameras, positioned staff in the lobby and I would have never been the wiser or felt singled out based on how I looked.

I would have never thought that something like this would have ever happened to me and I hope that it never happens to anyone else. It is unacceptable behavior and it was my understanding that these types of things ended a very long time ago...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Palmer_SBH, General Manager at Sheraton Brussels Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Peeples 15,
Please be assured that Starwood does not condone or tolerate any discriminatory practices at any of our properties. We value all guests and believe in fair treatment of all people. We adhere to a group of core values, which is the crucial foundation upon which we define ourselves as a hotel company and ensure our position as the industry leader in service excellence. Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide and Starwood Preferred Guest strive to maintain the highest quality of customer service. We apologize if your experience has not been an example of this and would like to assure you that it was the exception and not the rule.
This was a very unfortunate incident caused by a sincere and zealous effort to reinforce the general security in our hotel and of all our guests. Please know that our staff acted in good faith and was in no way intending to insult, threaten, or target you or anyone else. If you wish to discuss this matter further, please connect with me at my email address which you already have.
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed for three days for a conference. The lobby and bar have been modernised but the rooms are very dated. Staff are pleasant if a bit impersonal. Breakfast is excellent but the restaurant is expensive. Excellent location. Huge bedroom, spotlessly clean. Can't complain but my goodness is this trading hotel on the brand and location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our convenient city-center location, clean & large rooms and comfortable beds.
Note that our owning company is currently finalizing plans to start the renovation of our guestrooms in the (hopefully not-too-distant) future.
We do hope you will come back soon for another stay!
Antwerp
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

I only stayed for 1 night in this hotel, I thought the room was fine. I read all the reviews about it being dated but I thought they were clean and big enough so the fact that it wasn't modernised didn't bother me.
(Although our two plug sockets fell off when we wanted to plug something in, had to be extra careful)
The hotel entrance, lobby and bar are all nice and there are plenty of lifts so no waiting.
We did get a bathrobe in the room but only one which didn't make sense. There was tea/coffee facilities but they were in the bathroom right next to the toilet so I didn't want to use the cups. We got a small bottle of water free.
I would not buy anything in this hotel. I understand it is a business hotel so most clients have business credit cards so do not mind the price, but everything was overly expensive for the average person staying there.
To give you an idea: The room service was 18 euro for an organic burger, 19 euro for some 'special' fish soup and 5 euro for a normal cereal. We went to go for breakfast and it was 26.50 per person, so we went to a cafe outside the hotel instead.
The massages - 50 euro for a 30 minute back massage. I expected maybe to pay 40 euro because of the hotel name but usually basic massages are not much more than 1 euro per minute.
The Internet was rubbish, we ended up using 3G on our phones because the hotel wifi is so bad. They give 30 mins free but then charge 15 euro for a day. I do not know how it is suppose to be a business hotel with business hotel prices when they cannot even provide a decent level of wifi. Also most hotels now except people want Internet and do not charge for it anymore.
Location is good. Only a few minutes walk from Nord station.
I would only stay in this hotel if you get a good rate and do not want to buy anything from the hotel. (Unless you do not have to pay yourself and don't care about getting ripped off)

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Jenny from Antwerp,
We appreciate your review; however, with respect, we find our overall pricing to be very much in-line with the competitive pricing for hotels in Brussels and similar cities.
For accuracy, our in-room Premium internet access (without bandwith constraints) is 15 Euros per day; however as our guest we do give two (not one) free log-ins up to 30 minutes each to check emails etc. Plus The Link@Sheraton wifi and computers is always available free of charge to guests in the lobby and public space.
Also our guest service center is available at any time to request additional bathrooms, towels or additional bathroom amenities to make your stay more comfortable.
Lastly note that the complimentary coffee & tea facilities in the guestrooms are indeed located next to the grounded-electrical-plug on the large bathroom counter which is cleaned every day by our housemaids.
We do hope you will come back soon to give us another try!
Hotel Manager

Been to Sheraton Brussels Hotel? Share your experiences!