“Ok. But better inside?” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #94 of 917 Restaurants in Porto
Cuisines: Portuguese, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations, Buffet
Description: The former landmark Cafe Astoria, part of the history of Porto, has now become the elegant Restaurant Astoria. Widely open to the city, with an amazing view over the Aliados Avenue, here our Executive Chef proposes a revisited Portuguese gastronomy using local and fresh products.
Paris, France
“Ok. But better inside?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

We took lunch here one day in the sun. But it proved to be a very noisy location with the traffic of Porto just next to it. The food was amazing however and could only be strongly recommended. The service is great and friendly, but a little slow.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Grouville, United Kingdom
“The Perfect Lunch Stop for the Seasoned Traveller”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I cannot comment on the evening menus as my girlfriend and I only sampled their lunch offering which was amazing. It must first be stated that this is perhaps one of the most beautiful restaurants I have ever dined in. It may be slightly too ostentatious and 'bling' for some, but something about the tasteful décor of cream walls, silverware and marble just oozes classiness. The waiter informed us the building was formerly a palace - I was not surprised. The price of their lunch menus is very reasonable, the staff amicable and even in blistering heat the restaurant is wonderfully air-conditioned. Not a place for backpackers looking for quick refuelling but if a slower pace of travel is more your line, I'd recommend a visit to Astoria.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Paris, France
“more expectation than performance”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I had the tasting menu at 55 euro, so by no means a cheap option in Porto. Amuse bouche; Very duck flavour, nothing to stimulate the taste buds. Vermicelli starter; Luke warm, nice flavours, but nothing special. Fois gras; Warm, but not seared, accompanying compote not very complimentary. Risotto; Rice undercooked, not creamy,
Lamb; Tough as an old boot. Dessert; More crushed pistachio, well I guess at least that’s where we started the meal with the amuse bouche. Some sort of Indian inspired combination. The only wow factor was the micro coriander shoot.
Seems like someone in the kitchen is assembling things, but doesn’t know how to cook them. There is some thought in the ideas, but the execution lacks taste and it’s very much presentation over performance. Felt like the head chef had left his very junior sous chef in charge. Consistency has suffered.
Restaurant service issues; Was kept waiting 5 mins before table being cleared for 1, and then another 5 before being asked for a drink. Not great when the restaurant had only 8 people in on a quite tuesday evening. When I mentioned how tough the lamb was, I was brought a sharper knife! The chardonnay I ordered was out of stock and the only replacement was by the glass. Bizarre suggestion I thought as wine has to come from a bottle. Food is brought without any explanation of what it is even though I took the degustation menu.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
FrancelinaAmaral, Director of Operations at Restaurante Astoria, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear vincent m,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
We deeply regret that our restaurant did not match your expectations, can only apologize for this.
We have reviewed every single point of your review with the management in order to avoid similar situations on the future.
Even though we hope that you will visit us again and give us another opportunity to show cases you that our restaurant service has improved.

At your disposal,
Lisbon, Portugal
“Seriously overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I dined in this hotel restaurant of the Intercontinental. Extraordinary fresh and tasty oysters from Foz do Arelho, a decent risotto with clams and grouper and Portuguese cheese, coming with a nice open dry wine from the Douro.

However, the quantities were - for Portuguese kitchen - really very small, without any of all those delicious small finger food served in traditional Portuguese cuisine. Everything was clearly – and very economically – standardized and gave the impression to tend to making “some savings”: I ordered sparkling water and got an unknown bottle. When I asked, I was told that the water came from the local Porto tab and was carbonized in the hotel. I never saw that before !

When I ordered my plate of Portuguese cheese without fruits and other decorum, I got nevertheless the standard plate. The choice was very standard and ok, but not more. You can find better.

For an overall steep price tag of 123 EUR for one person, it’s very easy to find far better in Porto. The service was friendly, but very slow, despite the fact that only three tables were occupied.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
FrancelinaAmaral, Director of Operations at Restaurante Astoria, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear AntonioJulioNegro,

We want to thank you for your comments and for sharing your experience with us.
Rest assured that your comments were taken on board and we regret that we did not met all your expectations.
Nevertheless we would like to clarify that in our Restaurant Astoria the Chef offers a revisited taste of Portuguese gastronomy using local and fresh produce, and I can assure you that is definitely not in our Chef mind to do any kind of saving. His wish is only to have our guests pleased at all times.

Kind regards,
New Jersey
“Not to our taste!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Late night traveling - staying at this wonderful hotel -decided to stop in for a quick bite. Ordered onion soup -very tasty, Lobster/shrimp bisque- very strong shrimp taste with one tiny piece of lobster. We also ordered salads that were lacking a good dressing and greens. Very disappointed in the dinner and would not return or recommend.The restaurant needs to kick it up to even come close to the excellence of the hotel staff,rooms and amenities.

Dear rbrNewJersey,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
Nevertheless as you mentioned that you loved our Hotel, and the excelent service provided, we hope that you will visit us again and give us another opportunity to show case you that our restaurant service has improved.

Kind Regards,