“An absolute delight.” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: European, Portuguese, Wine Bar, Eclectic
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: On the first floor of a historical site in Porto's downtown, recently opened a small quiet restaurant, called Camafeu. Go back to the times where you had a meal at your grandparent's place, where the decor was romantic but eclectic and where you can indulge yourself on mouth-watering but not-pretentious food.At dinner time, you are invited to stay for a late drink and enjoy, through the big windows, the scenery of the square bellow (Praca Carlos Alberto, named after our late King). We invite you to try the tender Sirloin steak or the Duck with figg jam, or the Prawn porridge among other fabulous appetizers and main-courses. Everybody will love our home-made desserts. Don't forget to ask for the famous Portuguese wine from the Douro region, either it's Port, White or Red.
Cork, Ireland
“An absolute delight.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I visited Camafeu after my partner suggested we try it, based on the reviews right here on Tripadvisor. After much wandering around in the rain, clueless of where we were and feeling a bit down, we arrived at the door. From the moment we walked in, my mood for the day was lifted to good to ecstatic.
I must be honest in my review of this restaurant. It was absolutely amazing. As hard as I tried, I could find no real fault or anything that could put me off this place.

From the moment we walked in the door of this beautiful former Antique store we were greeted with a friendly smile, delightful smells and a gorgeous little place.

I started with the Puff Pastry sausage, the perfect portion size for an appetizer. From the moment I tasted it, I could tell the entire meal would be glorious. The pastry had the perfect crunch, and the sausage itself was as smooth as you could hope, whilst bursting with flavour.

My main course, the Pork Cheek Confit, may have been as near to perfection as possible. I have eaten in hundreds restaurants (including a few Michelin rated places) across Europe, America and Australia, and have never really experienced such well prepared food, made so quickly and so succulent. The pork itself, almost melted like butter on my tongue, and I couldn't help but smile each time the mere suggestion of it came near my taste buds.

I finished on the Chocolate cake with Coconut and Chili Ice-Cream. My only wish for this was a tad more bite to chili ice-cream, but that's really a personal thing.
The cake itself was perfectly moist, again almost melting when it touched my tongue, filled with the most wonderful chocolate sauce (again, the perfect amount).

If you are anywhere near Porto, I can truly advise you visit Camafeu. It was only €70 for both 3 course meals, as well as the wines we enjoyed. The front staff were kind, happy and extremely helpful, and though I wish I could meet the Chef herself, I can only say they are lucky and privileged to have such an astounding person to make their meals.

anitasimoes, Owner at Camafeu, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for your great review! It’s very important to us to get the feedback from our dearest customers. We hope we can welcome you at Camafeu again soon!

Cork, Cork, Ireland
“Fantastic service and food in a lovely atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Thank-you, Tripadvisor! Without this community, my partner and I would never have found this absolute gem of a restaurant, and I think our holiday would have been considerably poorer without it. I'd confidently say that this was the friendliest and most attentive service I have ever received - not just in any restaurant, but in any customer-facing experience that comes to mind. The enthusiasm and love these staff have for their restaurant just pours out of them, and it was utterly contagious.

Camafeu had such a beautiful atmosphere, and was the perfect size to feel cozy, intimate and deeply personal - as if, just by occupying a table, we were adding something to the overall experience. The decorations were unusual and eclectic as well, reflecting the building's history as an antiques shop and giving us plenty to admire between courses!

On top of that, the food was delicious and the wine recommendation spot-on. If we were looking for faults, my partner and I could come up with maybe two very minor quibbles with the food across three courses, but both of those were matters of personal taste and were ultimately dwarfed by the excellent overall standard. The chef cooked the meat with a skill I've never experienced before, giving us deliciously tender veal and pork cheek that melted like butter. The desserts were also delightful; the white chocolate spoon coming with the chocolate mousse was a particularly nice touch and (I thought) the perfect end to the meal... right up until the complimentary glass of port each. Even better!

Well worth the money and, in my opinion, anyone who visits Porto and doesn't stop here is seriously missing out.

anitasimoes, Owner at Camafeu, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
It was a real pleasure to serve you on your diner at Camafeu!Thank you so much for your kind review, it’s wonderful for us to hear such good things about us. We always try to make our customers comfortable and at home away from home.
We are looking forward to welcome you here again!
Chepstow, United Kingdom
“great meal in porto”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

we were able to book a table on the day we arrived in porto. we are so glad we did the dinner and service was great. I have eaten in a number of 2 start Michelin resturants tonights food was just as good but better value for money. we had a half bottle of house white wine which was only 6 euros to go with the starters followed by a excellent bottle of red at 16 euros. the highlight of the meal was the octopus absolultey stunning.

a small but great little resturant - Loved it

• 5 of 5 stars Food
anitasimoes, Proprietário at Camafeu, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review, it’s wonderful for us to hear such good things about us. That’s what really makes us believe that we are making efforts in the right direction.
It’s very important to us to get the feedback from our dearest customers.
It was a pleasure to have you in our little restaurant and we hope to welcome you again soon!
“Charming!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

An absolutely charming restaurant on a little square off the beaten path of Porto. The service was perfect and food delicious. Our favorite dish was the salmon terrine appetizer. Our best meal so far in Portugal!

Visited September 2013
anitasimoes, Owner at Camafeu, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you so much! We are really glad that you have a great time in our restaurant! Hope to welcome you again!
“Lovely intimate dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

After reading other reviews on trip advisor, we enjoyed an outstanding meal and experience. One of us enjoyed the baked octopus so much, that we ordered and enjoyed a second round. The salmon was also outstanding. Very well run and attentive owners/servers. Enjoyed hearing the story behind the restaurant's name. Great place on second floor. Easy to walk past on street.

• Visited August 2013
anitasimoes, Owner at Camafeu, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to make your review. It was a real pleasure to serve you on your diner at Camafeu! We always try to make our customers comfortable and at home away from home. We are looking forward to welcome you here again!