“Pleasant, clean, stylish hotel in main shopping district” 4 of 5 stars

Grande Hotel Do Porto
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Santa Catarina 197, Porto 4000-450, Portugal   |
Ranked #15 of 89 Hotels in Porto
Toronto, Ontario
“Pleasant, clean, stylish hotel in main shopping district”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed here so we could be within a stone's throw of Porto's shops, restaurants and attractions and we were not disappointed. The rooms were sharp and cosy, the corridors extra-wide, and the staff very helpful and friendly. We visit Porto every year enroute to Galicia and will definitely stay longer on our next trip. We had an early flight so were unable to take part in the breakfast, but will review it on our next trip. The only negative was that wi-fi wasn't free. That would have made our stay perfect.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Turkish first
Ede, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in standard double room. Basic room with all standard amenities like TV, bathroom, safe was not working, wifi, acceptable bed. Unfortunately on street level so at night sometimes noisy and no view. Hotel is beautiful and recently redecorated as I was told. Very nice interior combination of historical and modern. Good bar en restaurant. Service was good and very friendly. Location excellent. Buffet breakfat included and fine with good choice. Price was excellent. Porto is a magnificent destination hihgly recommended. Will come backt ot this hotel without hesitation bit next time superior room.

Room Tip: Choose superior rooms on higher floors because of noise
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Part of a two centre holiday with two friends and wives. All staff were friendly and very helpful, with reception staff always willing to give advice and support. Breakfast good quality and a fine start to the day. Rooms for all were comfortable, with size adequate for our needs.
Only irritant was the fixed coat hangers making hanging some clothes more difficult than needed.

Room Tip: Our friends had a corner suite with terrace, enabling us to join them for a quiet review of our day...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is a lovely hotel with friendly, helpful staff. The young barman on duty when I was there (4th and 5th Sept) was particularly helpful with very good english. Ask them for good restaurants in the area as they recommended two for me which were terrific.

Room Tip: Room was a bit small, might be worth paying more for a bigger one.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

The hôtel is situated at 300m from the metro station and lies in the center of thé city close to all touristical and shopping attractions. Rooms are well decorated and nice set up of hotel. Breakfast very good. Service was delightfull.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We visited 9 years ago, then finding it by car in the pre sat nav days was not easy in the one way, restricted access. This time the 3-minute walk from the metro, down the same street was a joy. Also at a little over 2 euros from the airport, what a bargain!
The hotel retains the same great style in the public areas; very good if you need to meet up with others in the city. Our room was modern and motel like, clean and servicable. We found the staff very helpfull and informative on all aspects of local life, including the wine!
The restaurant has a limited menu but for a short stay we found it fine. The price of the meal and the wine was very reasonable, we ate here several times as we did not find many restaurants in the area; bars many but few restaurants.
The hotel is a very odd mixture of the old elegant ( and sometimes slightly faded) together with the modern. This is a metaphor for much of Portugal. The locals live with the contrasts without discomfort as do I. This is not a sterile concrete hotel, neither is the city; both are a joy.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Jönköping
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I chose this hotel because of location and how it marketed itself on the Internet. I stayed for three nights and made a good choice in terms of location but a rather disappointing choice in terms of comfort and the anticipation that the hotel's marketing led you to believe. In fact, I would go so far as to say that while I loved Porto, I would not want to be a guest in this hotel again. The building and its interior on the entrance floor is actually quite grand; very end-of-last-century with dark colours and a heavy decor, oak and lots of ornate decoration. So far it lived up to its marketing. When however I found my room on the third floor, I was shocked. Gone was ornate decorations, gone the oak and gone were the colours. I face a long dormitory corridor in brown and white, with faint pong of sewage. My room looked like a prison cell. It was very claustrophobic. I somehow imagined that this is what it is like to live inside a chocolate bonbon. The window barely reachable for someone short, and the beds were very hard. However, worst of all was the fact that I was awakened the third night at 02.00 by my room being completely filled with fumes. The stench from smoke coming from the ventilation was so overpowering I was convinced the hotel was on fire. To make sure, I looked around thoroughly before taking any action. The fumes only came from the ventilation and disappeared after a few minutes, but infested my room which was not breathable for another hour having managed to pry open the window. My conclusion was that it was entirely caused by a chimney exhaust just outside - which I find quite inexcusable, particularly since I specially asked for a smoke free room because of astma. Also, the rooms are anything but sound proof. If your neighbour is conversing or packing their bags you will be part of it

Note however that the hotel is divided into two sections. I would guess that the older section has at least some of the charm that its marketing promises, but the newer section has no charm whatsoever. I also did not know of this and had no option choose.

The breakfast buffet was quite agreeable, however, and I did try the lunch menu once but did not return to have lunch there again a second time. The memory of the ice cold vegetable soup unfortunately lingers still.

In all, I think this a very mediocre hotel whose marketing is quite misleading. If location, some discomfort and adventure are your friends, this is perhaps a hotel for you. But for anyone else I'd recommend another accomodation. When I come back to Porto, I will certainly look for another hotel.

Room Tip: If you have to pick this hotel make sure you get a room in the older part of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Grande Hotel Do Porto? Share your experiences!