“Overrated pork knuckle merchants” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Hove, United Kingdom
“Overrated pork knuckle merchants”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Yes, service was friendly, and prices reasonable, at least on par with other less touristic restaurants. However, the food was disappointing. We were not really given any choice but to order the pork knuckle, (having now read other reviews, this seems to be standard practice). The portion was huge, but the meat not as tender as I'd expect from a slow cooked joint. This was accompanied by some average roast potatoes and veg garnish, all in a garlicky oil. I can't remember what dessert we had, so it can't have been that good.

There were TVs on at both ends of the restaurant. Again, this is standard practice in a lot of Portuguese restaurants, but for me detracts from the ambiance.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

• Korean first
London
“Pork knuckle for two”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We wanted to avoid a tourist trap and I think we got it. We seemed the only non-Portuguese there. As he handed us the menu the waiter said the house specialty was the pork knuckle and everybody seemed to be having that so we didn't really look at anything else on the menu. The house red was excellent and good value at under EUR 5 per bottle. The knuckled filled up two hungry men to the extent there was no room to try the house dessert which also looked delicious. Great if you like pork knuckles and want a buzzy no frills place. The meal for 2 came to under EUR 25 including tips.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Valencia, Spain
“Solid food, but no frills.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The ham knuckle was generous and well cooked, although the sides were rather glum - some soggy potatoes and a kind of starchy green paste (spinach-based I think). The meat needed something livelier. No doubt, this place is overrated on TA, but it's great value and the service is friendly and English speaking.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Long drive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Restaurant excellent, TA map rubbish. Got in car, switched on TA, found Antunes, went to Map and followed directions. Ended up 20miles north of Porto! Nice countryside but no restaurant. Eventually found it though back IN Porto. Was shut on Sunday! Had meal on Monday.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Porto
“Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I don't know what I can say about this place that others on here haven't already. I arrived thinking I was going to order the pork knuckle, and I wasn't disappointed! I have a very large appetite, but the portion was great. Perfect for 2 hungry people. The quality was fantastic, and I loved the potatoes. The service was also top quality. I will definitely be going again and I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited October 2012