“Good Hotel for a short stay” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Fernao de Magalhaes, 7, Porto 4300-190, Portugal   |
Ranked #33 of 95 Hotels in Porto
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Good Hotel for a short stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I travelled to Porto with my father in October 2012 to watch a football match between Portugal and Northern Ireland (Northern Ireland pulled off a miraculous 1-1 draw). We picked this hotel mainly because of its location as it was close to the football stadium. We also wanted a hotel that had a swimming pool to keep us occupied during the day, Overall i was satisfied with the hotel. The design was quite cool and modern and the hotel was set out differently to others i have been to. Usually in hotels the bar etc are all on the bottom floor but with Villa Gale there where different things on different floors. For example the spa was on the top floor and the breakfast room (i think) was on the 2nd or 3rd floor and the bar was on the 8th floor or something. As i was only staying for 2 nights i wasn't too concerned with what the hotel had to offer, however the things i looked for in the hotel where great. The rooms where very spacious and the beds where very comfy. The TV was full of Portuguese channels but had the odd american and british channel. In actual fact one night i ended up watching some american drama series which was pretty good. The view we had from the room wasn't too bad. The bathroom wasn't all that special but it was clean enough The people who worked there where very friendly and helpful. I ordered room service one of the nights i was there and this lovely waiter brought me up my food and gave me a free pen.

The thing i loved most about the hotel was the spa. In it was a pool (you had to wear a swim cap, which is good because it shows how seriously they took hygiene), a jacuzzi, a steam room and a sauna. As it was on the top floor the view was excellent. The sun loungers where positioned so that you could look out over the city of Porto. We spent a good amount of time in the spa because we loved it so much. The bar was nice as well, it had a pool table and a good lot of comfy seats. It also served some nice food until late at night.

The only things i would say about the hotel is the location isn't great unless your intending to go to a football match in the local stadium. I wouldn't really have liked to stay longer than i did because apart from the spa i wouldn't have had much to do but i suppose thats more to do with the city rather than the hotel. The breakfast wasn't too special either but i find that many european places have less than satisfactory breakfasts for us British people. If you are intending to stay for a few days i would highly recommend it but more than that i think it would be a bit boring unless your in to culture and heritage (which the city has plenty of). Definitely not for families though, more so for someone going on a business trip or a short stay

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
VilaGaleHoteis, General Manager at Vila Gale Porto, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your short stay with us and that the facilities and services were according to your expectations.

Best Regards,

dg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Quincy, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

For 75 euros a night, we were supposed to get a "superior" room with a queen bed. The room was dated and drab with TWO twin beds pushed together... not very romantic (and impossible to cuddle). Luckily, the staff in the hotel are very nice and on the second night they made the bed as a "French bed" with one set of sheets instead of two so we could feel like we were sleeping on one mattress. I can't complain at all about the staff... they try and are helpful for sure.

Other complaints about the room are a) the beds - they are hard with springs popping through a bit... they should upgrade to a pillow top or at least newer mattresses b) there's no plug in the bathroom so I had to flat iron my hair in the bedroom under very low lighting and c) the television in the room is extremely small and kept kicking me off the channel and going to some weird movie selection screen. I had to call the front desk to fix it.

Other complaints for the hotel itself were a) no valet parking b) it cost extra to use the pool and hot tub c) it's in the middle of nowhere... at least 15 minute walk to anything worthwhile

Good things: good price, free parking garage, nice and helpful staff, decent buffet breakfast for a good price (7-10 euros), free bottle of water and clementines left on the first night we arrived and when my boyfriend dropped his credit card in the parking garage they located it and called us.

I think this hotel would be worth the value if they fixed a few things that are - overall - easy to fix. The only complaint then would be the location... but for the right price, that's no big deal.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We regret that your stay was not as enjoyable as you, and we, would have expected it to be. We thank you for your constructive feedback. Your comments will be analysed carefully and we assure you that, if necessary, we will take measures to improve some of the points mentioned by you.

Best regards,

dg
Lisbon, Portugal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Came to Oporto with my partner for two days and stayed at this hotel. The hotel is nice and fancy and the facilities are very good. Wonderful view.

The value for the money they ask (100 euro per night) does not make it a perfect stay when you have to pay for everything you use (gym, pool, towels, Internet). I am a very well traveled person and I have stayed in places from 2 stars to 6 stars and I have never paid for such basic services. I was impressed to hear from the reception and from a 4-star hotel, that the Internet is 6 euro per day in the room. Thats was already ok but when we went to the pool ready for a swim they told us that we have to pay 11 euro for using the pool and another extra charge for using the gym! Really??? I don't even know if we have to pay the bf tomorrow (I won't be surprise bcse it is a modern way to lower expenses) but I would understand when you stay in cheaper or low cost hotels but from one where you pay 100 euro per night, somehow it's unacceptable.

I am really disappointed and I won't recommend this hotel to anyone. The feeling is that you stay in a place where pretends to be great but it has a cheap way to get customer's money out of their pockets!

Ohhhh! The last one.... Just called twice to the reception and no one picked up the phone... Few minutes ago there were three receptionist at the front desk!

Better stay in honest places where everything they offered is cleared!

• Stayed March 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

The Vila Galé in Porto is in a convenient location, with beautiful views from the room. It was probably a 15 minute walk down to the river. The beds and room were clean and comfortable. We stayed here for a conference, and our venue was very adequate and well-staffed with coffee, water, and snacks. The breakfast buffet was a feast. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was my first time at this hotel. I liked some hotels on the south shore, in Vila Nova de Gaia, but the arrangements did not work out. I didn't care for some properties closer to the center. With more checking around, I found this hotel. And that fact that is on the metro between the center and the Campanha train station, it is easy to access and easy to move around from. It's generally a quite hotel.

The people at check-in are phenomenal. Regardless of which shift, all of the people working were super friendly, consistent with this city's straightforward, unpretentious friendly vibe. The rooms are large enough and the bathrooms are clean and comfortable. There are partial views available form the windows. The A/C works quickly and efficiently. These make for a great type of accommodation.

The breakfast buffet was outstanding. I really enjoyed it. In addition to snacking on so many different items available in the buffet, the service is good and one sees people from all over, though mostly from Europe. It could also set you up for lunch, leaving one to get a small bite prior to dinner.

The only thing that was tricky was the printing of boarding passes for the airport. They made it seem straightforward and it wasn't. The print was not sending the boarding passes to the front desk. I hope they have this figured out. We were able to go into the management area and get my boarding pass. That's the only reason I'll give them 4 stars instead of 5.

Again, great compact city with a lot of charm, a nice newish hotel in a good sport right above the metro, friendly employees, and a good value of room and fantastic stomach-filling buffet to start the day. I would gladly stay again.

Room Tip: Decide what you want to look out on and they will accommodate you with a room. At any rate, the win...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Stuttgart, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed at Vila Gale for two nights and it was a really nice fancy place for a vacation in the city. It is about 15mns walk to the city center and near the metro station. The people there were very nice and the place was clean and very upscale. The only downside is at the time of my stay, they were construction going on and it was very disturbing sleeping in. you also have a pay a seperate small fee to enter the spa and use the facility, but since the hotel was not too expensive, it was worth paying the fee to use the spa. great service overall

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have amazing view of the city
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
GrupoVilaGale, General Manager at Vila Gale Porto, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your detailed description of our Hotel and its services. We are glad that you have had an enjoyable stay at our Vila Galé Porto Hotel. Regarding the construction, we really sorry to disturb you. It’s very difficult to manage this situation. We will finish this march the renovation of 80 rooms.
Best Regards,

gm
Kyiv, Ukraine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The hotel is elegant and is decorated in a cinema theme with photos and everything all around. I liked the hotel, it is centrally located, with a nice breakfasts served in a restaurant. I appreciated the most the pumpkin jam and tomatoes' marmalade :) along with usual european menu. I do recommend this hotel as an option to stay in Porto city.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your holiday with us and that the facilities and services were according to your expectations. Porto is a fantastic place to visit and Vila Galé Porto Hotel a great place to stay! Thank you for yours options!

gm

Been to Vila Gale Porto? Share your experiences!