“As advertised, no problems” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eurostars Oporto

You added Eurostars Oporto to your Saves list
Eurostars Oporto
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua do Mestre Guilherme Camarinha, 212, Porto, Portugal   |
Ranked #7 of 89 Hotels in Porto
Peachland, Canada
“As advertised, no problems”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I stayed at the Eurostars Oporto for five nights in July 2014. It's a business class hotel, not close to downtown, but (I gather) with good access for those with cars. I chose it because I have mobility issues, and use the metro and buses a lot, so I like to be very close to a metro stop, and the Eurostars Oporto is certainly close to a metro stop.

From the train station you need to transfer at Trindade on the the D line, but that's no problem. The Porto metro is a thing of beauty. Modern stations, with lifts and escalators, clear signage, and very modern trains. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere, between a hospital and a large number of apartment buildings, but the trip downtown only takes a few minutes on the metro.

Overall, I can recommend it with some reservations. The room was excellent, as was the bathroom. The front desk people were polite and friendly. The room had an electronic safe, good (but not especially large) TV, and a terrace (more on that later). There are two modern lifts (although one stopped working while we were there and they didn't seem in a rush to fix it). It also has a fridge and you can get supplies at the I.P.O. metro stop, which you can actually walk to, it's so close. The free wi-fi worked great.

I didn't eat there (breakfast seemed very expensive) but there are a large number of cafes across the street that are excellent, and very inexpensive. In fact we made it a point not to eat supper downtown and to have late supper near the hotel after we returned from a day of sightseeing.

I would stay there again, because it met my needs: very close to a metro stop, good eateries very close, good value for money, and excellent room and bathroom.

Now the reservations:

First, it's supposed to be an aparthotel. There is a fridge (which doubles as a minibar), microwave and stove in the kitchenette (this is the double room, not the apartment). Unless you pay extra the cooking pots and pans and crockery are locked away, making self catering much more difficult. I really only ever use the fridge in hotel rooms (this fridge had a freezer compartment so you could make ice cubes), but if you want to self cater, be aware.

Second, the rooms have balconies (or terraces), that have no furniture on them! No chairs, no tables, nothing! In the evening, when the sun is off the front of the hotel, it would be nice to sit out, and have a glass of wine in the cool of the evening without having to drag chairs from the room on to the terrace!

Third, and this is a minor inconvenience, Porto has a zone metro system. The base metro ticket is Z2, which lets you cross from one zone to an adjacent zone. The center of Porto is zone C1, across the river is adjacent zone S8 and the ever so nice Foz district is adjacent zone C2. If you are downtown in C1, the base Z2 ticket will let you travel pretty anywhere you want to go. The hotel is in zone C6, so a Z2 ticket will take you downtown but if you want to go from the hotel across the river or to Foz in one trip, you need a Z3 ticket. A little inconvenient, but I got the hang of it. If you buy a 24 hour metro ticket you kind of need to decide how many zones you will cross in any one trip during those 24 hours. In Lisbon on the other hand, a 24 hour ticket gets you everywhere the metro, buses, and trams go, without worrying about zones. The zone issue aside, Porto has about the best, most modern, public buses and metro trains I have ever seen.

If you want to save money, but like the idea of being in that general area and very close to the metro station you might want to consider the Ibis at the I.P.O. metro station (which I noticed when I was shopping, but I've never stayed there). It is super convenient and a lot cheaper, but it's an Ibis. If you've stayed at one you know what I mean. If I were to return to Porto I'd stay at the Eurostars again but I really wish they'd put furniture on the terrace.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sao Carlos, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Eurostars Oporto for one week in mid April 2014. It has spacious rooms with modern equipment. The hotel is located in a quiet street away from the city center and is conveniently near a metro stop. The staff are helpful and pleasant. The breakfast is well served. I recommend it for anyone staying in Northern Portugal.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Small but cosy hotel. Location is good and not far from downtown Lisbon.
Service was great and very welcoming. Helped me organise various tours with ease.
Breakfast was very good. Many options. Nice courtyard.
Rooms were small. Fells more like a business hotel rather than to accommodate families.
Their credit card system was down to finalize my balance. However, they did not keep me waiting as i would have missed my flight. They were happy to charge me later and invoice me.
Will come again.

Room Tip: No view to dont worry about the room you get.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Oulu, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

This was our choice because we arrived from the airport and next day continued our trip to north. If there's no need to visit at Porto's city center, this is a considerable option. It's about 20 minutes on a taxi from the airport. The location is quiet and peaceful, but there's not many restaurants or cafes around. Room was very clean and spacious. Service and the atmosphere were business-like: fluent but not very personal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Reading previous reviews, I was a little concerned the location might not be that good. Wrong --- no need to have worried, metro virtually on your door step, 10 minutes ride and right in the heart of Porto. Extremely easy to use the metro and buying the travel card also allows you to jump on and off the buses. Rooms in the hotel very good, excellent shower and extremely quiet location, with plenty of cafes to have breakfast or light lunch.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Provo, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Great stay: we were blown away at the quality for the price. Everything looked brand new. The service was friendly and helpful. Nice parking underneath. The room was spacious with a nice TV and air conditioning. The location is about a 15 minute drive from downtown but in a nice area. We were there for 3 nights and would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

My friend and I had been staying in this Hotel for five days, those dates fell on Xmas.

PROs:

- pricing policy was very affordable;
- clean, quiet, nice rooms;
- bathrobes and slippers;
- cleaning ladies were remarkable (they even didnt put our pyjamas on dirty suitcases like many others hotels staff do); ))
- powerful hairdryer which saved our wet clothes after we got under a great t-storm:
- tea/coffee facilities (but full kitchen is for an additional fee - no plates, forks, knives, etc as cupboards are locked);
- free wireless, though it doesnt work on Apple products and the connection wasnt stable;
- there is a free parking, but those lots are very limited and you might end up paying for the Hotel parking behind its building (its not a garage, but still you have to pay 12 or so euro for the day - quite expensive for Portugal);
- has coming SPA specialists;

CONs:

- location is not central;
- breakfast a bit limited, items werent refilled in time;
- staff problem: namely their unfriendliness and indifference... one day we both got sick gravely, my friend managed to come down for breakfast, but felt dizziness, had to sit down in front of the reception, asked if they have a thermometer ... was replied - no, besides, nobody offered help, at least even didnt ask what happened (we had eaten the evening before in their bar) and how they could help us... by the end of the day we realized that we should do smth as symptoms not vanishing... so we both loaded ourselves into our car (as walking wasnt an option) and drove to the nearest pharmacy and supermarket (as we couldnt eat at all, but had to chew smth like stale bread at least)... seeing us like that (like after Waterloo) receptionist didnt even pay attention..I believe they would pay attention only if a putrid smell was coming out of the room )). Thanks god next day we felt a bit better.
Furthermore... we didnt get "good-bye and have a nice trip" while we were checking out... The guy (Dionicy?) was too busy with his mobile... We felt like a great annoyance... Sorry to bother you, guy! ))
- once we asked when sightseeing places could be open - the reply was DONT KNOW )).. seriously, I am not joking...
Couldnt say that all of them was like that guy, but still... the case with our illness was speaking loudly for itself...
- poor choice of bath amenties (no hair conditioner, vanity set, just shampoo and shower gel);
- next day after checking in - bath amenities werent refilled, so had to use shampoo as a shower gel ))
- TV had some trouble (some channels were disappearing), so had to call for a help;
- Hotels do have umbrellas, but they all turned out to be broken.

As for us - we wouldnt visit it again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Eurostars Oporto? Share your experiences!