“Worst location on island” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive & Spa Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive & Spa Beach Resort to your Saves list
Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive & Spa Beach Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Estrada Regional 120 | Sitio do Campo de Baixo, Porto Santo Island 9400-015, Portugal   |
“Worst location on island”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights in August.
I know the island well and visit every year. This is the most expensive hotel on the island so I expected it to be the best.
The location is awful. It is situated on the worst bit of beach. The sand isn't golden and the sea has rocks everywhere.
If you stay at any other hotel the beach is excellent.
You can't walk any where from this hotel as it is in a bad spot.
The food choice is mainly buffet. Limited choice, vegtables are not fresh and I got very bored after 3 days.
The staff were nice.
The island of Porto santo is so beautiful it's a real shame that you don't get to see it when in the pestanna.
If you want a standard all inclusive resort full of children and basic food you'd probably love it. If not you'd be disappointed!

• Stayed August 2012

1,289 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Polish first
ESSEX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I know this is a bit late to write a review, but been a bit busy :( that's why we love the lovely Pestana, beautiful, chilled out , lovely pools, wonderful beach - we always stay in quite locations like the Verde Islands etc - when I found the Pestana which is only a short flight, thought must go and check out, I'm so please that we did thank you all of the Pestana staff who we found always had a smile and so very helpful, I have never been anyway where I can say that all of the staff were happy that you had stayed at their hotel

we loved the people, island and the hotel so much that has soon has we got home we rebooked for next September ( I think that this may become our chill out week before the winter for many years to come )

the reps are also very good and the way that they run the return back to the airport is excellent (even thou you don't want to go home) one gripe is the airport could do with some aircon, it was very hot, and has usual the outside was full of smokers, places should really have a outside place for non smokers who choose not to take in others smoke

the only thing that I would say is that if the hotel could have an area outside where the entainment and bars are, have non smoking areas, that would be great

having said that the hotel is wonderful looking forward to going back next year

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Martins J, General Manager at Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive & Spa Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We would like to take this opportunity to invite you to join our loyalty program Pestana Priority Guest which is available at our website.

Looking forward to welcome you next September in Porto Santo,

Yeovil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

It is three weeks since we were at Hotel Pestana Porto Santo and on reflection we can honestly say that the week spent there was the best holiday we have had.
There are plenty of positives about the resort and its setting on that long golden beach. The staff are great and ever willing to help. Our room, a first floor room with balcony that overlooked the pool area was spacious and very comfortable- the fact that the room was cleaned every day was a huge plus to us. We liked the fact that the safe and air conditioning were included in the cost of the holiday.
We had read reviews of the resort after we booked in early September and read some negative points which came from people who had visited the resort in high season. The resort was not so populated when we stayed so sun beds were freely available by the pool and we never had to queue to use the main restaurant .
The food at the main restaurant (Mares) is fine though when a place is catering for a large number of people it may seem formulaic but there is enough choice to satisfy everyone. We ate at the a la carte on one night - well worth the surcharge for relaxed dining and well presented food; however, the menu is a little limited. Luigi's, the pizzeria, is a great alternative to the Mares and we ate there twice during our stay.
Walks along the beach are a must either to the main town in one direction (about 1.5km) or to what we called the sleeping dragon, an islet off the end of the beach in the other direction. There are plenty of cafes in the main town for refreshment stops and people watching.
The only trip available at the time we visited was the Jeep tour of the island- 32 euros per person for a three hour trip but it was a highlight of the stay.
One downer for us was the fact that, in the Dunas pool bar, steak sandwiches were only available on two days- they are great, really tasty.
We are in the habit of not revisiting places we have been to but Hotel Pestana has made us change our minds on that- we will definitely be back. Next time we will take walking shoes to further investigate Porto Santo which is a fascinating island.
To Joao Martins and his team, a big obrigado for a great stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Martins J, General Manager at Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive & Spa Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear "geoff p",

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Pestana Porto Santo Beach Resort & Spa. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks.

Manchester, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

They say it's impossible to please everyone. But the Pestana takes on that very aim with courage, conviction and panache. The setting is glorious, the resort efficiently managed and all the facilities everything you would want, whether with children or not. The entertainments at evening are very vibrant and upbeat. Even people who "don't do all inclusive" won't find any tackiness or aesthetic discomfort in this place. Except there's an Elvis impersonator. This is usually a bad sign but not in this case as fair do's, the guy can sing. The food was an extraordinarily fabulous selection of freshly and expertly prepared meals, plenty to choose from and three different restaurants on site. However by far the most amazing aspect of this holiday was the collection of gregarious and hard working people whom this hotel is fortunate to have as staff. Without exception they all gave impeccable service. This is from someone with very exacting ideas about what constitutes 'great', and they are truly great. They think of everything that will make your holiday special and memorable. In particular the waiters and the entertainments staff gave a very good impression. I say the entertainments staff because as well as being generally good company, they somehow persuaded me to enter a dance competition in which I came second, losing out to an adorable six year old girl. I must thank them again for that when I go back. There is even a graphic design shop where a particularly original designer called Goncales will design and create really cool yet affordable bespoke souvenirs. The 9km golden sandy beach (with reputedly healing sand high in minerals) right on your doorstep also means you will want to return again and again. Who wouldn't want to go back to the nearest thing to affordable paradise there is? Right down to the well tended lavender garden, it's the absolute best place to stay for a beach holiday.

Room Tip: If you walk to the nearest town it's not far and better walking by beach as it's quicker. Th...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Martins J, General Manager at Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive & Spa Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your visit at Pestana Porto Santo.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and we hope to have the opportunity in the near future to welcome you again.

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to join our loyalty program Pestana Priority Guest which is available at our website

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This small island off Madeira is perfect for those who really want to get away and relax. The Pestana Hotel is exceptional, they cannot do enough for you. Everything is well organised, the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful and it's really good to see that the management team are so proactive. The facilities are brilliant, the food great and the beaches are amazing. Some really lovely walks to be done. Warning: If you're a shopaholic - don't go! A truly relaxing time despite the unsettled weather.

Room Tip: Being a middle aged couple whose Daughter is now able to be left at home, we really enjoyed our room...
Dear "Helene B",

Thank you very much for visiting Pestana Porto Santo Beach Resort & Spa and for posting your review on TripAdvisor, is very important for us and for future travellers.

Chorley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Its taken a while for me to get round to writing a review but I was determined to write one. I can only agree wholeheartedly with the majority of people who review this hotel. There are a few comments I particularly want to make.
Every member of staff we came across was friendly, helpful and took the time to chat. The fact that management came to wave us off on the last day was amazing! I asked the fantastic Mario if this was because we were the last guests of the season but he told me that this is what happens whenever the guests leave! The rooms were first class and as I lay my head on those devine pillows the first night, I managed to drop off for a full 8 hours as was the case every night. Facilities were excellent, however I do agree that a 'quiet bar' is needed for those who want to have a conversation with the many friends they are likely to meet and have a drink in peace. Also the entertainment although they gave it their best shot, was not my cup of tea. My husband and I took a trip into the 'city' most nights but soon returned as it was very, very quiet!!
Food (and staff) were excellent and I again agree that breakfast and lunch were my favourites. The choice of fish by the way, was amazing!
I would have loved the indoor pool to be heated as it takes me so long to go from big toe dip to full body immersion!! The sea however is warm and inviting.
The jeep trip was fantastic and although we are not usually ones to go on trips I took the advice of many previous reviewers and went. Very, very interesting learning about this amazing and unique island. From the amazing views to the original house and stories of the women and children hiding in the wells, it was 3 hours and money well spent!
We were unlucky with the weather on the last week, however the memory of that last sunday when it rained all day, where we sat chatting to lovely people we had met, was so special! When was the last time you sat for a few hours over lunch and coffee just talking and laughing? Very relaxing I can tell you! And that sums up this holiday! Relaxing, de-stressing, completely chilled out.
If you were there on the last week I want to say hi and thank you for making our first holiday to Porto Santo a memorable one. To the management and staff, thank you very much for your care and attention. One request though. Where can I get one of those fabulous pillows?!!

Room Tip: Block 3 facing pool.
Dear "Lynda S",

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

About our pillows please send me your e-mail and i will answer you with the contacts of our supplier.

Looking forward to welcome you in Porto Santo in a near future,

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

P*E*S*T*A*N*A
O ur 'second' home
R elax, unwind in peaceful surroundings
T ake a walk along golden sands
O r swim in one of the landscaped pools

S uperb staff and managers, so helpful, and friendly
A trio of restaurants serving great food
N ightly, colourful entertainment and bar
T he comfortable rooms are nicely decorated
O ur favourite holiday destination

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Martins J, General Manager at Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive & Spa Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Mrs Keeping,

We were very surprised with the creative way you commented your experience, thank you very much.

Thank you for visiting us again and for being part of our "Family"

We will be waiting for you in May.

Hotel Manager

Been to Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive & Spa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!